Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Everyone,

Had my Picanto 2 (1.2) for a fortnight now and am loving it so far, but wanted to ask a question about the engine revs if I can.

When starting first thing in the morning, the revs rise up to 2500 for a few seconds before dropping back to idle. Is this normal? It only does it on first start up, after that when starting, it revs normally.

I was always told never to rev an engine when it is first started as the oil has not yet had time to flow round the engine?

Anyone else's Picanto do this? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Davie.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have only ever seen this happen in my Picantos if the previous time the car was driven, it was an extremely short trip (or not even that - perhaps I was just moving it from the road to the driveway or vice versa). Bottom line is I mean that the car was never given a chance to warm up properly. I have obviously tried to avoid this wherever possible as it is not good for the car, but whenever I have been forced to do it, I have noticed it does consistently rev higher the next time it is started - even if it is as much as a week since I last drove it. But so long as it is driven for at least 15 - 20 minutes then no, I have never seen it go beyond 2,000 maximum when cold starting. Mind you, here in Australia our Winters are not as cold as yours and since you are in Winter over there, it could just be normal based on the very low temperatures.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi DKF. We have the 1.2 and yes it revs high when first started. I just assume its normal for this car but am open to suggestions as to why it does it. It's only on the first start of the day and never does it anymore.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Revving an engine on first start is a good thing. This is the fastest way to get the oil pressure up and circulate it to the distant crevices, including the hydraulic valve lifters.

Modern oils remain adhering to vital parts much better than they used to and the advice not to rev the engine at start is well out of date now. Revving a cold engine hard and for a sustained period is not good but a quick blip up to 3k is the best you can do for it.

I had two Carltons and three Omegas, all autos and they all held 1st gear up to 2500 when driving off from cold and then reverted to normal shifts. On the first car I asked Vauxhall technical about this and they said it was intentional, to get the oil into the (then new fangled) hydraulic lifters. Not a single engine failure of any kind on any of those cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
2500 revs isn't exactly hitting the limiter though, it's lower mid-range and you would easily get to this figure during normal driving anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everybody,

Yeah Turnup - I am showing my age now :(

Thanks to everyone for their advice about the high revving which it seems is pretty normal. Not so worried now!

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts