Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do everyone,
Has anyone had thier carens mapped? I'm pondering having it done tomorrow to increase the mpg by about 4 to 5%. I currently get about 42 to 45mpg, mainly motorway at between 70 to 80 mph.

I'm wondering if anyone has had it done and if they noticed an improvement?

Cheers
PhilEdited by: Big Dawg

·
Registered
476 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but the difference between remapping & chipping is???

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Supacabby said:
Excuse my ignorance but the difference between remapping & chipping is???
Remapping is the ecu standard program is wiped clear and a new performance upgrade map is installed usually all done through the OBD socket.

Chipping is the old way of actually taking the ECU apart and removing the factory engine management chip and inserting a modified chip as in silcon chip not one you would get from the fish an chip shop as they dont work so good

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well anyhow, I'm going to go for it. It's more for the 4%> in fuel saving than anything else ... my boy racer days are long gone!

I'll keep this tread updated on how I go on.

Phil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Which model do you have? I'd LOVE to get over 40mpg, and I drive gently. Mine is an 08 2 litre 6 speed.
Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blimey mate. I have an 09 plate, 6 speed and get 42 to 45mpg without any mods. Filled up to the cap for £80 from very very empty (£1.34 ltr) and ran it to half way on the empty painted line marker. 598 miles. It was nearly all motorway at speeds between 70 and 80.

Now someone, given those figures, may say I get more or less but my maths isnt great!

Phil.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks to Davy for the explanation, I understand now!
I had my Mk2 remapped then! It was very much worth the money, up from 112 to 135vhp,the extra 30nm of torque was very evident too. I used that particular Mk2 as a towcar for a big caravan& never had a power related problem, if aything it wwas too whizzy at the front wheels on the wet grass!

Didn't really notice any significant improvement in the mpg but it was marginally better & as that 1 wasn't a cab I didn't check it that closely.

@Boringbiker: I guess 40mpg must be an average, I never got that locally with either a Mk2 or a Mk3 but well exceeded that on a run at 56mph!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have an 09 LS crdi Auto and average 42/44 over the month on a mix of roads.Best I ever got was 55mpg on a gentle run down to Dover (200miles) with a couple of comfort breaks.

On my scanguage, around 65/70 with cruise on, it shows about 56/59 MPG on a flat road.
Since the last upgrade, although my MPG average has not improved much,the engine is much more responsive and seems to need less right foot to maintain speed.

Mark_ Hows your new life in Turkey? Sitting on the beach all day?

Cheers,
Gary

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not there yet Gary, go next weekend, still in Brighton!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts