Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 06 plate Sorento xs 2.5d,the fuel consumption is a little disapointing and i was considering fitting an aftermarket tuning box chip.
Has anyone used these devices and if so is there any improvement in performance or mpg.
I use the car to tow a caravan and other than that it is a great car.
I also wondered if taking out the transfer box control unit fuse and running in 2wheel drive when not towing would be of any benifit.
Grateful for any advice

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi ian i have a 59 plate sorento titan which is thirsty as well i also tow a twin axle van ive been looking at chipping it and been looking about theres a forum called uk sorento... and theres a lot of info about it on there one chip they really indorse is from a company called griffin tuning which supply a powerbox with remote switching on/off and gives good bhp mpg and torque for towing it has different paramiters u can use they really rave about it and apparently it does work it retails for £229 and can b transfered to a different car if u change check it out cheers dave

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
PRO-BITZ is another tuning box which I can verify is a good tuning box for £100. Works great on my Rio diesel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yea ive seen these and i suppose the pound in your pocket govens youand lots do work but have read all sorts of stories about boxes which when opened only have a diode in them that fools your engine into thinking the air entering engine is colder and gives more fuel to boost power. in one i read about it was telling the chip the air outsidewasminus 57 on diagnostics so read up on all and do your homework then decide cheers dave.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I've got an OBD reader and its got a live data read out and the incoming air temp is correct. The difference is the fuel rail pressure is increased when Box is plugged in. The box does connect to the fuel rail pressure sensor. Not heard any bad comments about the Pro-Bitz ones.
I have heard about the petrol ones having a resistor in them that you connect to the MAF sensor and this fools the ecu into thinking the incoming temp is alot cooler.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
13 Posts
in all fairness the pro bitz box gets no bad comments and they got 100% customer satisfaction id like to here from someone whos fitted one to sorento.ive asked on this forum a couple of times but never got answer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The runs well with the tcu fuse removed (2 wheel drive only). Does anyone know if i am liable to damage the transfer box by running like this. I am considering only putting the fuse back in for towing or fowl weather

1 - 8 of 8 Posts