Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some issues with my 06 Sorento XS diesel. For the last 18 months or so, I have noticed a slight "hesitation" (not turbo lag or flat spot, more a dip in power) when driving along. It seems to mainly occur between 1500 and 2000RPM but not always.

I have also been getting the problems with engine cutting out, which today resulted in the sender unit, fuel tank and fuel filter being cleaned (new filter fitted last monday so not replaced this time), but even after the work I am noticing the power dip. This is a feel rather than anything obvious - the rev counter doesn't appear to blip - but then the power dip is so quick i can only note the revs after the power is back.

I'm trying to determine whether the faults are linked or whether i have something else that needs investigating?

thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi mate i have something similar with my 56 xs auto. Not all the time just a slight lul. mainly when cold.

I also get with feels like a missing judder round about 55 to 60 mph now and then. not all the time.

Something is wrong but its been through 3 services now and they have not found anything to sort it.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Have youcheckedall your hoses between turbo,inter-coolerand intake manifold.I had one with loose clip, only materialised when the motor was 4 year old and i put foot down harder when towing caravan.(above 2200rpm).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a 2006 XS from new. I suffered from the engine cutting out which the dealer initially blamed on contaminated diesel - filter and all lines etc. cleaned. But when it happened again it turned out that the lining of the fuel tank was coming off (a known issue but no recall issued). Kia replaced the tank under good will out of warranty but I had to pay the labour charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyonebeen able to resolve this problem, i havestarted to experience the same effect with my 07 serento.I have had the car serviced which seemed to cure the proplem but it has returned after about 8 weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had similar problems. Car cut out after around 45 - 70 miles trip when going up hill and accelerator pressed lightly without changing gear. Engine cut out. Car stopped. I left it for about a couple of minutes then it started again with no problems. No problems at any other time. Eventually, after new fuel filter, new fuel pump (over £1,100!), new fuel injectors, after a leak test, and new sensor, I managed to persuade a very helpful mechanic at the Kia garage to check out the fuel tank, as I'd read reports of a tank lining degradation problem.

They said that at the initial diagnostic they found that the fuel pump had some debris which was partially blocking the
pump. They replaced the pump and after testing found no problem. However, after a further eight months, with the problem still occurring, they carried out a further test and found that in the fuel tank the fuel sender unit was partially blocked due to debris in the tank. They removed
and cleaned the fuel sender unit and retested the vehicle. I have no further problems. I suggest you ask your garage to check out the fuel tank. This took about 18 months to resolve. I have kept some of the debris and am writing to Kia to see if they can compensate me for this problem which clearly happens to other owners. I've read this on other forums. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kia replaced my tank last month, out of warranty good will gesture, but I'm still getting the power blips, Bigmark describes it well, if it was a petrol I'd say it was missing. It seems to be about 1900 revs. Can't decide whether weather conditions make a difference because it has een so arn coldand wet recently!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Johnbev, if you haven't had the tank emptied and cleaned or replaced, you an expect the problem to come back i'm afraid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts