Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
My 2001 tdi s. I did oil change, car shop looked in' book'against the reg and the oil is 5/30 fully synthetic. Previous to this I was using 10/40 semi synth, as recommended by mechanic. Since the 5/30full put in, engine seems tappy and noisy. Any suggestions as to the 'best' oil type for the engine?
Thanks Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
536 Posts
usually the oil is labled on the front bulkhead. i dont think you can do to much damage to an engine if the oil it that tiny bit thicker but going to a lower viscosity can cause havoc. I would say most modern diesels demand fully synthetic nowadays, but obviously its car specific. Might be worth calling a dealer to get the correct info that kia recommend. And as a hurry up call i would say the tapping noise is metal on metal...although if your anything like me its probably all in your head
. Fingers crossed you dont have to have another oil change though fella

·
Registered
702 Posts
stevegx said:
Hi all.
My 2001 tdi s. I did oil change, car shop looked in' book'against the reg and the oil is 5/30 fully synthetic. Previous to this I was using 10/40 semi synth, as recommended by mechanic. Since the 5/30full put in, engine seems tappy and noisy. Any suggestions as to the 'best' oil type for the engine?
Thanks Steve Gx Blackpool
<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

Steve

I've just looked in my MK1 owners manual and it says 10 30 for the engine oil 5 30 is on the thin side hence why it sounds tappy and noisy. The tappets are hydrolic on the diesel so thinner oil would make them noisier and the engine the same as well

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. Thanks for the replies. Guy Lopez.The5/30full costs £16, 5ltre. The 10/30 about £12, 5ltr or £16 at Asda! Ithink I will change the oil as I have a funny feeling about the 'correct' oil as per reg number and 'book' and have checked with dealer they state 5/30 full too. Car thinks different tho.
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi. Found my cars book in the back of a seat, been there since I bought it! Shows oil 10/30 semi.Another car shop that stated 5/30 ful synth is for2005 models onwardsand that mine should be 10/40 semi.I looked on the KIa disc from Bruno and other replies I have had ...SO I have changed the oil today 10/40 semi synth. The car seems to drive better and the gears are easier to find! 10/30 semi synth at ASDA 5ltr £16.Brain feels happier too,

Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
702 Posts
stevegx said:
Hi. Found my cars book in the back of a seat, been there since I bought it! Shows oil 10/30 semi.Another car shop that stated 5/30 ful synth is for2005 models onwardsand that mine should be 10/40 semi.I looked on the KIa disc from Bruno and other replies I have had ...SO I have changed the oil today 10/40 semi synth. The car seems to drive better and the gears are easier to find! 10/30 semi synth at ASDA 5ltr £16.Brain feels happier too,

Steve Gx Blackpool
10-30 is the one the owners manual says but 10-40 will do , not sure why it would make the gears easier to find the gear box oil is seperate to the engine oil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fair play to you Steve! doing any kind of maintenance on a day like today is the act of a madman or afanatic.

I always use the standard comma diesel oil in my bus...circa £17 per 5 litre....no problems thus far

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crane God said:
Fair play to you Steve! doing any kind of maintenance on a day like today is the act of a madman or afanatic.

I always use the standard comma diesel oil in my bus...circa £17 per 5 litre....no problems thus far
Hi do you mean the 10/40 semi comma standard stuff or a mineral 10/40 oil?
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bruno1926 said:
stevegx said:

Steve Gx Blackpool
10-30 is the one the owners manual says but 10-40 will do , not sure why it would make the gears easier to find the gear box oil is seperate to the engine oil
I think the gear thing, Bruno, is cycle ogic al.

·
Registered
399 Posts
5/30 would be ideal in the Antartic! I think you will find the 5/40 or even the 10/40 more suitable to our climate, as some have found out already (re more engine noise)?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HI. Since 10/40 semi put in she runs happier in the time from the change than the samr period of time with the 5/30 full in.

Steve Gx Blackpool

1 - 14 of 14 Posts