Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1.0 suddenly started making a strange noise the other day. It seems to only happen at cold startup for a few minutes. Kia say it's the accesories drivebelt, and have ordered me a new one. It sounds more like a dry bearing on the alternator or something. What do you think? (video below)

Edited by: ujoni08

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost 800 views!
After watching the video, and listening to the noise, has anyone got any ideas what it could be? Does anyone else's car make that noise? Thanks people

·
Registered
92 Posts
Doesn't sound like the normal 'squeal' you get from a slipping belt but if Kia are happy to replace this quickly for free then I'd let them and see if its still noisy. Does the noise change when you rev it ? If so get someone else to put their foot on the accelerator and see if you can pinpoint where in the engine bay the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
455 Posts
sounds like a bearing to me

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I agree. It doesn't sound like a drivebelt. I'm going to spray something (is GT85 okay?) on the drivebelt while the noise is audible, and see if it quietens. I doubt it will.

It sounds like a dry bearing... but where? Alternator? Could it be internal? Surely all whirly bits are bathed in oil, unless a port has become blocked? I'd love to have a stethoscope to be able to listen accurately to various areas. It is making the noise at idle, cold or warm engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like a bearing to me.
You can try a little WD40 behind the alternator pulley as close to the shaft as you can get. If it is the alternator bearing it will shut it up instantly but not for long. We used this technique frequently for alternators and water pumps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. They've ordered a new alternator belt, and I'm going to ask them to replace the alternator too. This and the rattles in the dashboard (speaker?) and rear of the car, plus the creak/squeek in the driver's seat backrest are putting a damper on my enjoyment of the car.
They've had the car twice, and haven't cured them yet. They greased the seat rails, which didn't help the internal squeek of course. I said they'll need to remove the cover from the backrest and tighten/lubricate the internals. They haven't had the dashboard out yet. I think they just checked mounting points for tightness. They adjusted the rear hatch door catch to try to eliminate the tailgate as a rattle. That didn't work, so they've ordered a new catch. I told them the noise is underneath the car...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I lubricated the alternator shaft and the other two shafts associated with the accessory belt. Didn't stop the noise. Listening closely, it sounds like it's coming from the cylinder head area.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: They phoned to say the mechanic is off on a course, back next week, but has agreed that the sound is coming from the camshaft area. Therefore they have not fitted a new accessories belt. They've taken off the camshaft cover, and can't see anything untoward. They've sent a request for help to Kia technical services. In the meantime I am still without a car....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: They've had the car for ten days now. No phone call, so I phoned them. They didn't seem to know who I was, what the car was there for, etc. After giving them my name, the registration number and car details again, they went looking and then came back to say that Kia Technical Services have been giving them things to try, which have all failed to cure the noise so far. I mentioned that I still didn't have a courtesy car, and he said they won't have one for another ten days. I said I'll just have to make do.

I thought about it, then phoned the main switchboard again and asked for sales. The salesman is on leave, but the receptionist asked if she could put me through to someone else. I explained the problem, and she said she'd get the manager to call me back, which he did. He said he'd arranged for a courtesy car, which I could pick up in the morning, so that's helped, but I feel the smile is slipping from my face a little. I feel I don't trust the car any more.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: They still have my car, and still can't find the problem. They are now testing the oil pressure sensor/regulator (I think that's what he said). I said I'm worried that the car could have run for a time without sufficient oil pressure. I went across to sales, and spoke to the salesman who sold me the car. He didn't know anything about it.. I asked about what possibilities there would be for Kia to take the car back and provide a new one (or at least offer me a decent PX). He said he would talk to the manager about it and get back to me.
What do other members think I should do?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any advice, people?
They still have my car (since late March). They've now ordered a new oil pump (back order from Korea) which should take another three weeks. I'm inclined to reject the car and ask for a replacement. If the engine has operated with a malfunctioning oil pump, the piston rings, top and bottom end bearings, camshafts, etc. could all have been damaged. I spoke to the manager today and he said I'd have to wait till the new pump was installed and see if that solved the problem. I said that it was different from e.g. a failed alternator, as it may have caused damage to other parts. This is their chance to show that their customer service is good. It may be time for me to take it up with Kia Head Office, and write to Auto Express magazine. They often approach manufacturers on behalf of customers, and publish the stories...

·
Registered
6 Posts
This may help with tailgate noise,at each corner of the tailgate there are two rubber bump stops.To cure the rattle in my tailgate i attached two self adhesive cupboard bump stops to the mating face on the rear bumper,this was enough to stop the tailgate from flexing on the lock,you have to do this as the rubbers on the tailgate are not ajustable.I have a two week old 1.25 picanto that has developed a low pitched whine from the clutch bearing ,you can get this noise to go away if you put weight on the clutch pedal.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, rabpat.
I'll try the tailgate fix when I get the car back, but at the moment I'm thinking about rejecting the car.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: they have now replaced the oil pump and guess what? It didn't cure the noise. The factory in Korea has now asked the dealer to strip the engine and report their findings. In seven months of ownership, the car has been in the workshop for 2 months. My ownership experience hasn't really been enjoyable, and they have refused to replace the car. Can I get a reality check from other members about what you would do? I feel like writing to Auto Express magazine, who often mediate for customers (and publish the stories about it). I've got to think that some negative publicity would get Kia's attention. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts