Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 07 TS has developed a little glitch.

Latelyif I pull off in a fairlyaggressivemanner the engine management light comes on, car still runs like a dream and light is out next time you start her up.

Should I worry, or should I just wait for bigger gaps at roundabouts

Cheers in advance,

Lee.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Get it checked out by someone who has a code reader/diagnostic equipment that way you will know why the MIL is coming on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have had the same problem with my 56 plate LS for 4 months & 8000 miles. No specific fault on diagnostics @ garage. Car reached 80k last month & timing belt changed. 2 weeks ago cooling system over pressurised and blew out radiator & aircon condenser. Replaced and system still overpressure. Removed the thermostat which enables car to be driven locally without problem. Suspect head or block hairline crack which is allowing exhaust gases into cooling system. What to do???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had it plugged in over the xmas break,surprisesurpriseno fault codes were found!

Do you guys think this is an IMV valve issue??

Happy new year

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think what your describing is software issue. When all sensors are new all is fine but, given a few years wear they dont work as efficiently. I mean, air flow sensors and tps sensors as an example are designed to send signals (when new) in milliseconds, now, with some wear its highly likely that the sensors take that millisecond longer, just enough for the brain to start panicking and sending out an SOS. Thus, the fault is not registered because it rectified itself within the following millisecond, If that makes sense??

·
Registered
702 Posts
MININUT said:
I think what your describing is software issue. When all sensors are new all is fine but, given a few years wear they dont work as efficiently. I mean, air flow sensors and tps sensors as an example are designed to send signals (when new) in milliseconds, now, with some wear its highly likely that the sensors take that millisecond longer, just enough for the brain to start panicking and sending out an SOS. Thus, the fault is not registered because it rectified itself within the following millisecond, If that makes sense??
If it only happens when you boot it then as Mininut says it's probably one of the sensors throwing a fault and then correcting itself straight away . If a sensor is breaking down enough to throw the MIL light on then it should leave a code until its cleared manually. When was the filter changed last etc.

·
Registered
422 Posts
moondust said:
Have had the same problem with my 56 plate LS for 4 months & 8000 miles. No specific fault on diagnostics @ garage. Car reached 80k last month & timing belt changed. 2 weeks ago cooling system over pressurised and blew out radiator & aircon condenser. Replaced and system still overpressure. Removed the thermostat which enables car to be driven locally without problem. Suspect head or block hairline crack which is allowing exhaust gases into cooling system. What to do???
Over the past couple of weeks my 56 plate TS has occasionally started showing the EML light, although the car runs fine - have run a diagnostic check and it shows no faults recorded or pending - I see that one or two others have had a similar problem and have put it down to using supermarket diesel - my wife uses the Kia more than me and always fills up at our local Tesco - I think I may let it run right down and try filling up at our local Shell garage to see if this sorts the problem. I changed the fuel filter approx 1000 miles ago so that should be ok - but may change it again to see if that helps.
Anyone any views on Supermarket Fuel? - I always thought all fuel came from the same refineries and was just sold under different brand names but apparently not!

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi lee i had that happen to me that light but its a dealer con to get you to take it in for a service they do it with burlar alarms when they fit them they program a cut out time and date and most people panic but if you take it to some where decent they just turn a knob some where on the engine management set up and they turn the light off

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not all MIL lights coming on store codes.
I used to be a Renault truck diagnostics engineer. If the light comes on and stays on after several start ups, plug it in, there should be a code stored EVEN if the light eventually goes out. However, 9 times out of 10 (Or sods law) if it goes out, the computer (there are several) sees it as not an issue or it's resolved itself.

If your check light comes on it's fuel/emissions related.

I don't buy this "Supermarket fuel is pants" story. I always use it and always will. When contaminated fuel was delivered to supermarkets, all other garages using the same supplier also had issues. It got more press though because of it being Tesco etc. PLUS it's a great get out of jail card for the dealers.

·
Registered
422 Posts
brian180254 said:
hi lee i had that happen to me that light but its a dealer con to get you to take it in for a service they do it with burlar alarms when they fit them they program a cut out time and date and most people panic but if you take it to some where decent they just turn a knob some where on the engine management set up and they turn the light off
Hmmmm interesting theory - can you tell me where this 'knob' is, so i can sort mine out!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all! Great Forum. I spotted this thead and thought I would add my experience to it as it seems quite similar. My 02 Sedona is great .. except when I get it upto 5th gear speed and either floor it or am rising any sort of gradiate my engine light comes on.Mostly this is all it does and does not seem to affect proformance and when I take my foot off accelorator or startgoing down hill light goes out immediatly. About once every 100 miles at these 70mph journeys light will come on again, engine seems to choke and lose enginepower completly. In these situations I just take my foot off /drift out of gear for a second or two /engine light goes out andaway I go (Not ideal!). I bought a diagnostic machine but no codes are coming up / Previously my mechanic has checked and never found fault codes. Many thanks for any guidance you can offer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Loz, the amount of fuel in the tank or level of fuel gauge does not appear (to me!) to be an issue in this case as engine light and power loss happens no matterhow much fuel is inthe tank.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i would have to agree with the emisions as the closed loop system is picking up that the engine is running too rich and out of tolerance for emission, could be worn or dirty injectors also when was the last time you changed the air filter, diesel air filters get dirty quickly and can chock engines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for advice. Checked the air filter and it looks brand new as it should as just had service prior to new yesr. How do I check if running to rich or test if injectors need cleaned or replaced? Thanks again.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi, Appreciate that this is very basic - but may be something else to tick off your check list!A mate of mine a couple of years ago had similar problems to you with his 02 2.9 diesel Sedona - he checked and replaced all the usual suspects and eventually found that the fuel filler cap seal was leaking allowing air to be drawn into the fuel system. He replaced the cap and the problem was sorted - on another Kia website there are one or two similar posts on there where people have not tightened their fuel caps sufficiently and had problems.
Be nice if it was something as simple as that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts