Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,940 Posts
Thought they were limited in every gear to save users from wrecking engines...

Add in top gear in a Sportage is going to require a lot more BHP than the engine produces to over come natures forces.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought they were limited in every gear to save users from wrecking engines...

Add in top gear in a Sportage is going to require a lot more BHP than the engine produces to over come natures forces.
They are limited to 6,500 rpm in 1st to 4th gear, but in 5th gear, it does down to 5,500rpm.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Why would you want to rev the nuts off a road car engine Paul ?
I rarely exceed 4,500 rpm in petrol cars and 3,500 rpm with turbo diesels.
Perhaps you should buy a racing car ;)

Reactions: cosquieripaul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would you want to rev the nuts off a road car engine Paul ?
I rarely exceed 4,500 rpm in petrol cars and 3,500 rpm with turbo diesels.
Perhaps you should buy a racing car ;)
i AGREE!! But i can't afford a race car! It's in my veins to try and get as much power out of any vehicles I can, using as little money as possible. It has it's downsides ofcourse.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Easy to get more power with a turbo diesel engine (remap) but not so easy if it is petrol.

Reactions: cosquieripaul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought the maximum speed limit in Spain was 120KPH

I don't think there is a lower limit in 5th, your just coming up against the max speed the car will go to.
im pretty sure its not the top speed. Its definately limited. Ill take a video of the revs next time. The rev meter stops at 5,500 and bounces on there, when the engine is capable of hitting 6,500 rpm as it does so in 1st to 4th gear

·
Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
349 Posts
I don't know what cars you've been driving in the past but the Sportage handling is good for an SUV, but compared with my MX5 it doesn't even come close.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know what cars you've been driving in the past but the Sportage handling is good for an SUV, but compared with my MX5 it doesn't even come close.
yes absolutely. the sportage has great handling for an SUV, but we can't compare it with any race car or even low profile powerful car which is designed with speed being a main factor

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
75 Posts
The most "fun" I ever had driving was in a 1965 Fiat 500! Anything over 40mph was "on the limit!" Screaming engine, screaming tyres, hot brakes and impending doom!!! It taught me a lot about mechanical sympathy and how not to drive a car! Luckily, I am still here to tell the tale!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Just looked at the original specs and the quoted max speed for a manual 2.0 petrol is 113mph which converts as 182kph.

On a downhill road with the usual speedo inaccuracy a displayed 200kph is feasible I suppose but to expect anymore safely is sheer lunacy.

As said above its not a limiter stopping you going any faster, its the laws of the universe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
im pretty sure its not the top speed. Its definately limited. Ill take a video of the revs next time. The rev meter stops at 5,500 and bounces on there, when the engine is capable of hitting 6,500 rpm as it does so in 1st to 4th gear
I reckon it is top speed.

It'll rev out in 1-4 because your road speed is lower. (and thus so is aerodynamic drag)

It can't rev out in 5th as the engine isn't powerful enough to overcome the wind resistance holding the car back.

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,940 Posts
It maybe that it's not rev limited, but actually has a top speed limiter, like a few cars do. EU is quite fond of this type of thing.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Is anyone aware of any limiters to the engine when in 5th gear at 200kmh? My car won't pass 5 and a half thousand revs in 5th gear due to a limiter.

Thanks!
Have you done the maths to see how fast 5500 rpm in 5th is and then compared it to the quoted top speed for your car ?

If cars could rev out in every gear, I think I’ve got a 240+ mph machine in my arsenal … ;) lol

WD :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts