Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pal of mine has a 2013 Eco Dynamics that's developed an engine knock.

As far as I'm aware this occurred when his wife was driving in snow and the wheels were supposedly spinning then when it hit a grippy part of the road this is when the knocking started?

My pal thinks that the car might have jumped a tooth or two on the camchain?

Is this likely?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not a mechanic but I think this is unlikely to have damaged the engine What I think 'might' have happened is that the knock is a damaged dual mass flywheel or final drive.

For a wheel or both to suddenly stop and gain traction from spinning and assuming this was done at high revs (will put a lot of strain through the gearbox and clutch) - that is my thought

·
Registered
106 Posts
What about a engine or gear box mount? That's going to absorb the sudden jolt of traction.

Is the knocking continuous at idle or just pulling away/engine strain?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not a mechanic but I think this is unlikely to have damaged the engine What I think 'might' have happened is that the knock is a damaged dual mass flywheel or final drive.

For a wheel or both to suddenly stop and gain traction from spinning and assuming this was done at high revs (will put a lot of strain through the gearbox and clutch) - that is my thought
His wife did in fact drive the car all the way home - roughly 20 mile or so.

I've yet to hear the car but I'm led to believe the noise is apparent when it's started up and not in gear.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about a engine or gear box mount? That's going to absorb the sudden jolt of traction.

Is the knocking continuous at idle or just pulling away/engine strain?
As as I'm aware it's just when the engine is idling or revved that you can hear the noise.

I'll give him a shout later on today, to see what if I can get a listen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts