Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have seen the other Topic very similar to this, but I wanted to ask if anyone had only encoutered this issue with the KIA Sorento cutting out after towing! I have only owned my 2003 2.5 CRDI XS Auto since June and we have towed with it twice and on both occasions during the 24/48hours after we have towed it has cut out.

Basically it conks out and the immobiliser warning comes on! It starts up again each time after taking out the key and starting again however last time it happened it was harded to restart and I am concerned the issue is getting worse.

I took it into KIA in Basingstoke twice and on both occasions just got the usual "Computer says No" repsonse due to nothing showing on the console and being unable to duplicate the issue.

I find it quite dangerous when it conks out as all the Power Steering etc is lost !!!

Any and all advice is very much appreciated fincally I can't afford to spend a fortune to get it fixed.

My husband is fairly mechanically minded but I am concerned these new fangled cars with all the computers he might not be able to do anything

HELP !?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Cazz,
I would bet its the fuel filter and the uptake in the tank...this is one of the most common issues on the 03-05 Sorento.

Here is a usefull diy to remove and clean;

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">Fuel Tank Filter
</TD><TD height="20" vAlign="bottom" align="right" width="40%"></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign="top" colSpan="3">
<HR =hr width="100%" SIZE=1>
There is no "filter" as such in the fuel tank but what there is is a gauze mesh over the pick up on the lift pump. Sometimes, particularly it would seem on the early Sorento models, this gets clogged with a grey coloured material which seems to appear in the tank. This can restrict the amount of fuel going to the engine and give the dreaded cut out under acceleration and in some cases a low fuel pressure code being stored and the Engine Management Light on the dash coming on. Definitely worth checking out if any of these things happen to your Sorento.

Some basic Instructions and a few pictures on how to check:

When the rear O/S seat is lifted there is a small piece of carpet which when lifted up gives you an access panel to the fuel tank. If you unscrew the 4 screws this is what you see.

<CENTER>
</CENTER>

If you then unclip the diesel lift and return pipes and disconnect the electrical plug, then unscrew the 6 screws and gently lift out the fuel pickup unit this is what you get. Do this when you have very little diesel in the tank and make sure to keep a towel or cloth across the carpet to protect any damage from dripping as you lift the unit out of the car

<CENTER>
</CENTER>

And then when all this is done this is what it looks like. The float which gives the fuel guage reading is the black plastic bit at the front of the cylinder. The unit can be taken apart by unfastening the plastic clips on it and the gauze filter and pipes then cleaned in a bowl of parrafin, petrol or similar.

<CENTER>
</CENTER>

As they say in all the good Japanese guides refitting is a reversal of removal!
</TD></TR>
Taff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Taff,

Thank you VERY much I shall pass that on to my husband and see what he can do!!

Many Thanks
Cazz

·
Registered
399 Posts
My conclusion also Taff! When towing there is more demand for fuel, therefore if there is slight blockage it will certainly show up when towing, less so when solo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your replies.

It conked out on me 4 times in the space of 4 miles!! Even the "Check Engine" light came on which was new!! We carried out the above advice last night and so far so good !!!

This appears to have worked!!

Thank you VERY much !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.