Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Check Engine warning light came on a few weeks ago on my 2001 2.0 petrol Sportage.
I could not find a suitable code reader to suit as the plug seems to be differant to all other modern cars, I found a vacuum pipe that had split which I guessed was the reason for the light but after fixing this the light was still on.

By pure chance I found out that by pulling out the ECU relay and then refitting it that this clears all the faults in the memory and the light has now gone out.

It would be nice to buy a Fault code reader that fits the sportage incase any future faults are not so easy to find.

Any one out there have any idea of who sells one ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good Morning Chris,
I have a '52 plate Kia Sportage 2.0 Petrol(Automatic) and have the same problem with the Engine Check light staying on.Itook the car into my nearest Kia Dealership( Clarks of Kidderminster)and they diagnosed a failed Lamda sensor which cost 228.00 to replace.I have been back to Clarks a couple of times and they fitted a second replacement sensor on Friday,but the Engine Check light still keeps coming back on after a few miles of driving.

I am no mechanic/electronics expert,but is the ECU relay easy to identify or would it be best for me to go back to Clarks armed withyour findings?

Regards,

Alan Craddock (Newbie)

email address : [email protected]

·
Registered
887 Posts
Alan, I'm guessing by the replacement of the lambda your getting a lambda threshold code.
This is usually caused by a vac pip blank on the inlet manifold splitting or falling off, if you look right next to bulkhead where the inlet manifold is bolted in 2 parts, you'll find a vac pipe take off, or possibly 2 depending on year, prob find thats split.
It's just needs blanking off, as it does nothing and goes nowhere!

Edited by: murphwiz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Murphwiz,
Thanks for the information about the inlet manifold blank.I took the engine cover off and think I founda single " take off" at the end of the manifold by the bulkhead which had a short length(about one & a half inches)of rubber pipe on itwith a screw in the end(which looked a bit home made) as a blank off.

I also found a perished pipefromthe top of theround black plastic cylinder next to the front of the inlet manifold whichconnects to a "take off" in the middle of the inlet manifold.It was perished right on the bend into the top of the cylinder,so I was able to cutoff the perishedendand refix the pipe.I am no mechanic,so I don't know what this black plastic cylinder is or does.

I then disconnected the negative battery terminal for 10-15 minutesto "reset" the engine check light.The check light now goes out and I have done 20 miles today without a problem,but I am not yet certain that the problem is solved.The next few days will tell.

Do you know where the ECU relay is?I may need toremove and refit this to clear all the faults in the memory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts