Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving today, noticed the engine check light came on my 51 plate Sedona 2.9 TDI when under throttle load. It happened when accelerating up hill in third or fourth. The light goes out when you back off the power. There doesn't seem to be any loss of power. It still goes like stink.
Anyone with any ideas please.

Regards

Keith

·
Registered
422 Posts
Engine check light usually indicates a problem with the emissions side of the engine, could be the EGR valve, leaking vacuum hose, etc - could really do with having the codes read to see if any faults shown or pending. After reading into this it can also be caused by the fuel filler cap not being properly tightened or the sealing ring on the cap being defective and allowing air to enter the tank and fuel system

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
I am trying to find to find a code reader to use on my car. If not, will have to bite the bullet & pay garage prices to find out what's wrong.

Regards

Keith

·
Registered
422 Posts
keithwalker said:
Thanks
I am trying to find to find a code reader to use on my car. If not, will have to bite the bullet & pay garage prices to find out what's wrong.

Regards

Keith
I don't think diesel cars had to be OBD 2 compliant until 2004 - petrol cars were well before then.Have you found a diagnostic plug on the vehicle - mine a 2006 2.9 has two - one for obd2, which is below the dash, and another marked diagnostic in the engine compartment

·
Registered
82 Posts
Naff diesel can also bring the light on. Even if it's running fine. Had that happen to me whilst inspecting France last year. I had filled up at a SHELL service station on route to Spain.
Edited by: LOZ

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys
I am still getting to grips with what is under bonnet, as this is the first diesel car I've had in 35 yrs of motoring. Will look for a socket tomorrow as it's too dark now. As to the Naff diesel, the only choices I have where I live is supermarket fuel, and you never what you are getting from them!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
keithwalker said:
Thanks guys
I am still getting to grips with what is under bonnet, as this is the first diesel car I've had in 35 yrs of motoring. Will look for a socket tomorrow as it's too dark now. As to the Naff diesel, the only choices I have where I live is supermarket fuel, and you never what you are getting from them!!

The 20 pin socket is in the fuse box on the near side inner wing under the bonnett

1 - 9 of 9 Posts