Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May I ask if anyone has any experience of engine block heaters to pre-warm the Sportage KX2 2L diesel engine before going out on frosty days?

Spoke to my local Kia dealer and there was a stunned silence..... I believe there are various types of block heaters from other suppliers.

Just wondered- these colder days and the Sportage's fuel consumption has dramatically increased whereas if the engine was pre-warmed, perhaps it would be better. In the summer, I was getting about 40-42mpg and now, mileage has dropped to 30-32 mpg but I am doing approx. the same mixture of journeys. ( a few trips to town per week of 5 miles each way plus 3 or 4 20mile each way trips plus odd longer journey).
Cheers, Patrick

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
They are probably fitted as original equipment to Scandinavian market vehicles. I'd suggest Canada too but I think they only get petrol engines.

Kenlowe and Webasto make them. I'm sure there are others too.

Kenlow Pre-heater

·
Registered
30 Posts
They are not standard on scandinavian engines from kia. i can confirm that since i live in norway, and ordered the premium sportage 2012, and there is no engine heater. got to get it as an accessory, which cost a bit of a fortune here.( at least for me)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear Kaivish, Many thanks and understood. It seems odd that these heaters are so expensive in Europe yet apparently $20-50 in US.
I believe there are some "stick-on " type flat plate sump heaters from Canada ( 240 volt) and I might follow that up. I am reluctant to cut water hoses etc !
Cheers, Patrick

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi Patrick,
I work in Germany and after last winter, I have been toying with the idea of having a Webasto heater fitted.
They are quite common over here, but it is a large outlay ""“ somewhere in the region of 1500 Euros.
I spoke to KIA about warranty issues and they said as long as the installed aftermarket equipment has not been the cause of a failure, warranty should not be effected.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
You can pick up Webasto's quite cheap on e-bay but it's not a five minute job to fit.

It would be nice to get in a warm, de-iced car in the morning and also once warmed up the gearbox wouldn't be as stiff ""“ KIA's suffer with this.

·
Registered
453 Posts
This is one I was considering Idon't like the idea of plumbing into the cooling system i don'tknow if any one has heard of this type?http://www.wolverineheater.com/
I think this isa link to the uk distributor from the wolverine website http://www.engineheaters.co.uk/index.html

Edited by: kiaman

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi Kiaman,
Yes it is a nice simple cheap solution and any DIY'r could do it, but you need to park close to a mains supply.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Its just a thought but if the engine was warmed in this way it would reach normal operating temp a lot quicker, therefore would that help reduce clogging of theDPF on short journeys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi kiaman....I have exactly the same problem on my KX-3 diesel and I am returning similar mpg figures as yourself. I was so hacked off that I took it in for a check and the dealer changed the thermostat although not sure if they actually found a fault. It hasn't improved things although the heater throws out some warm air a bit earlier.

I don't think a block heater is readily available (at least not in uk).

I have ordered a Wolverine Pad Heater and just waiting for delivery from Canada although the order was placed through the UK link (it just directs it to Canada).

An Elkay Aquasafe electrical connector is going to supply power out to the vehicle on the driveway but still working out a method of attachment for the connector. I wanted a solid mounting but the plug is very stiff to connect / disconnect so the cable / plug will need to able to be pulled out and two hands used to connect / disconnect but with a secure stowage when not in use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dear Colleague, Saw your reply about the Canadian sump heater. Which model/ size heater are you buying for your KX3?
I am considering buying a unit for my 2011 Sportage KX2 but (so far) failed at the "first hurdle" to remove the sump guard to decide what size heater will attach to the sump!!
I thought a Size 16/250 watts was probably ok but have NOT done a physical check of the sump ...
Looked again underneath and it was too wet today to roll about in the mud ..
Best Regards, Patrick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi PatrickH......I have ordered the 16 / 250 watts as anything electrically smaller will struggle to heat the oil. I must confess that I don't know if it will physically fit as I haven't been able to get the under-tray off due to weather and facilities but I am optimistic that the dimensions will be suitable. Still waiting on the package arriving from Canada. Previously I put down that I got similar consumption figures as kiaman, I actually meant similar to the ones posted by yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dear Spiderman, Tks for reply and will look forward to hearing your experience fitting pad to KX3 sump.
I removed the sump guard from my Sportage today and there seems not a lot of flat surface on the sump. There are bumps and curves. I took a couple of pictures but don't think they can be posted on the forum. (?)

Will contact Wolverine to see if the heat pad is flexible to go around /adhere to the curves.

Best Regards,
J Patrick N Haxell

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi PatrickH.....Your reply regarding available area on sump does not fill me with confidence. I have been unable to investigate further myself but the heater has arrived. And it is fairly small approx 3.5" x 4.5"It will go around one curve according to Wolverine but not two. and its important to have no air gaps, even no stamped part numbers or the heater will overheat and fail. So two curved planes are not possible.

Were you able to get the undertray off just lying underneath the vehicle? the reason I ask is that the access to the ramp that I thought I would have to do the job is not going to happen so will need to just tackle it lying on the ground.
It has been snowing here today and forecast for more wintry weather so the job is on hold for now. Plus work commitments are getting in the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dear Spiderman, I used a pair of simple "run-ups" and it was ok.
I think it would have been difficult to get access to remove the sump guard-tray bolts and fixings without lifting up the front wheels.
Cheers, Patrick

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'm interested to see how this works out. I must admit that I thought that these sump heaters were intended to reduce the viscosity of the sump oil in very cold climates. 250 watts is not a lot of heat in the context of the thermal mass of an engine and its coolant. IIRC the add-on coolant water heaters are in the 3 kilowatt range. i.e. As big as you can safely go on a 13 amp plug.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts