Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first time on line.

Have a 2010 Sorento 2.2 diesel KX3, and have just bought a chip for better economy, and a bit of extra performance too, I hope.

I have fallen at the first hurdle of fitting it!

Does onyone know the way of removing the plastic engine shield without breaking it?

I am OK with engines that are 50 years old, but modern ones leave me a bit lost.

Any help appreciated

Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
you just pull it upwards.it is a bit easier with the engine warm as the rubber grommits will be soft.the plug you need to connect your box to is on the lefthand side of the commonrail.if you had posted this in the sorento section i would have seen it earlier.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
What happens if the car breaks down on a wet, dark even snowy motorway late at night, are you going to insist on taking the chip off before the recovery company takes the car away. Worse still if the wife is driving the car at the time, she will almost certainly have no idea what to do and more to the point you will not be popular if you tell her to start dismantling the engine at the side of the road.

Not entuirely sure, Viking Paul will know, but I have read that chips can/do leave fault codes in the ECU that dealers kit can detect regardless of it being still there or not. Think its something to do with the increased fuel pressure that the chips rely on to increase power/torque.

What happens if the car is involved in an accident, will you be telling your insurance company or will you be hoping to remove the chip before they find out.

If the car isn't fast enough you should have bought a more powerfull one in the first place.

Paul

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
suttonseven said:
If the car isn't fast enough you should have bought a more powerfull one in the first place.

Paul
The Rio diesel I have is the quickest one Kia sell so thats why I stuck a box on. Its out of warranty so dont have a worry about detection. I do have a Diagnostic reader and it has never shown any issues with codes. Thats not to say the equipment Kia has will not pick it up. Viking Paul could maybe help there. I have had this box on for about 2 years now and have had no problems with the way the car runs or poor fuel consumption. It is adjustable and I only have it one turn up from its factory setting. I would certainly take it off if it were causing an issue with running and consumption.
On the Rio it is very easy to access the plugs and swap back to the original set up.
Insurance wise, yes you should tell them of any mods but who does in the "real world".
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
44 Posts
davy said:
suttonseven said:

Paul
The Rio diesel I have is the quickest one Kia sell so thats why I stuck a box on. Its out of warranty so dont have a worry about detection. I do have a Diagnostic reader and it has never shown any issues with codes. Thats not to say the equipment Kia has will not pick it up. Viking Paul could maybe help there. I have had this box on for about 2 years now and have had no problems with the way the car runs or poor fuel consumption. It is adjustable and I only have it one turn up from its factory setting. I would certainly take it off if it were causing an issue with running and consumption.On the Rio it is very easy to access the plugs and swap back to the original set up.Insurance wise, yes you should tell them of any mods but who does in the "real world".
been using tuning boxes on my cars since 2004.never had a problem.not using the boxes for speed but for economy.they do make a lot of difference on your mpg.the new sorento is the easiest car ive had to remove the tuning box.you can remove it without taking the engine cover off.just unplug it.the cars i have used tuning boxes on were all new.hyundai terracan,hyundai santa fe,ford s max.and now the kia sorento.have a look on uksorento.com about tuning boxes.Edited by: ron m

·
Registered
662 Posts
hey its the real world yes i have customers who have them yes i have one on my vauxhall vivaro yes kia say that should an issue arrise that could have been caused by the alteration of any part of the vehicle from standardthen that parts warranty COULD be void problem i have is when cars come in for service thease chips/boxes CAN in some cases leave over pressure or overboost fault codes and if we ask the customer if they have a tuneing box of course the answer is allways NO so you then can spend time looing for an issue thats not there same happens when people use Bio diesel and then the car flags low fuel pressure

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Cheers for the info Paul.
I'm sure if I turned the box up to max it could throw a fault code like you say. What I have it set at is good enough for me and doesn't cause any faults on the ecu so I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
davy said:
Cheers for the info Paul. I'm sure if I turned the box up to max it could throw a fault code like you say. What I have it set at is good enough for me and doesn't cause any faults on the ecu so I'm happy with that.
i think that is when fault codes will be on.when they are turned up too high and the car goes into limp mode.you would then turn the box down again and the red light would go out after 24 hours and leave a fault code logged.i havnt been guilty of turning them too high yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.