Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 '66 Mixx has the head unit with the NAV button, which I believe should be capable of running Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

I know dealers can install a firmware/map update for £40, but as my local dealer is pretty useless, I would like to do it myself.

I'm not bothered about the map itself, I just want AA so I can use Google Maps from my phone data.

Is it still possible to do this? I know the UK/Europe maps are no longer available on mapnsoft. Can anyone provide a working link to the latest (2020?) files?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
Pretty sure that units pre 2017 can not run either android or apple. It's a hardware, not software issue.

Would add that we do not allow public links to maps/updates on this site as it is a breach of intellectual property. Should it drop into you via PM, then that's a different matter.

If you want to be sure on being able to update the unit. Send Kia Customer Services a message with details (vin) etc and they will be able to confirm one way or the other.

·
Registered
604 Posts
There's a thread somewhere on here that discusses the latest firmware and map software for each generation of av unit. Good luck finding it but if you do, there are tips in there about upgrading without going to a dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a thread somewhere on here that discusses the latest firmware and map software for each generation of av unit. Good luck finding it but if you do, there are tips in there about upgrading without going to a dealer.
Thanks. I've found several threads, but the links are all out of date or not working. I know the head unit is capable of Android Auto via a retrospective update as KCS have confirmed this via the VIN number.

Hopefully someone has done this recently and can PM me the links.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've got a 2014 soul mixx that had it done for free at the dealership
It might be worth asking if they can update just the software on the headunit and not the maps as the £40 is the cost for doing the maps
I'm surprised yours doesnt have it already
Thanks. I've found several threads, but the links are all out of date or not working. I know the head unit is capable of Android Auto via a retrospective update as KCS have confirmed this via the VIN number.
Hopefully someone has done this recently and can PM me the links.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You don't say where you live but I would suggest that you find another dealer, mine upgrades it when a service is done free of charge and they are very good with upgrades.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't say where you live but I would suggest that you find another dealer, mine upgrades it when a service is done free of charge and they are very good with upgrades.
I asked my 3 nearest KIA dealers (in Derby/Nottingham) and 2 of them wanted £40. The other didn't reply, but they can't get anything right on a basic service so not surprised really. I've only just bought the car, but the first 3 services were at the same Kia garage (Allingtons) who supplied the vehicle new, and the updates hadn't been carried out on any of those services either.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I suspect that nicq's experience, of free upgrades as part of a service, is an exception not the norm.

KCS have reported through this forum that the Kia recommended charge is £40. Note this is for the mechanics time to do the upgrade, Kia provide the upgrade SW to the garage free free as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
KCS have reported through this forum that the Kia recommended charge is £40.
For the life of me, I can't understand why some correspondents appear to object to paying a KIA dealer £40.00 if they want to have the very latest SW and mapping available in their car. Although I have elected to update my infotainment unit myself, utilising files available on the web, I would not recommend that to people perhaps unfamiliar with vehicle electronics and probably without the means to repair any damage that may be incurred through virus-infected files.

Running a very modern car does have certain, inevitable costs which may have been less critical in cars of a generation ago so I don't get this desire to avoid any of those costs which could invalidate the valuable 7-year/100,000 mile warranty; £40.00 in the case of a system update to the excellent infotainment unit.

Perhaps those who seek to save a few bob by skimping on the running costs, whether it be using an independent rather than a KIA dealer for servicing or DIY-ing other jobs are unaware of the associated costs for other brands but, after a lifetime closely involved with the motor trade, I can say, unequivocally, that the costs involved in running Korean-brand cars are very reasonable compared to many German, Japanese, French and Italian brands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the life of me, I can't understand why some correspondents appear to object to paying a KIA dealer £40.00 if they want to have the very latest SW and mapping available in their car. Although I have elected to update my infotainment unit myself, utilising files available on the web, I would not recommend that to people perhaps unfamiliar with vehicle electronics and probably without the means to repair any damage that may be incurred through virus-infected files.

Running a very modern car does have certain, inevitable costs which may have been less critical in cars of a generation ago so I don't get this desire to avoid any of those costs which could invalidate the valuable 7-year/100,000 mile warranty; £40.00 in the case of a system update to the excellent infotainment unit.

Perhaps those who seek to save a few bob by skimping on the running costs, whether it be using an independent rather than a KIA dealer for servicing or DIY-ing other jobs are unaware of the associated costs for other brands but, after a lifetime closely involved with the motor trade, I can say, unequivocally, that the costs involved in running Korean-brand cars are very reasonable compared to many German, Japanese, French and Italian brands.
If you have time and money to spare then, yes, it makes perfect sense to go to a Kia dealer to perform the update. Unfortunately some of us work full time and having to take the car to a dealer, leave it with them for a day and then collect it at the end of the day (requiring another person to also make the journey in a separate car as you are unable to wait in the showroom) is not really an option. Not to mention this being a non-essential journey at the moment which is against lockdown rules (yes I know regular servicing and mots are allowed). Also this assumes the dealer in question knows what they are doing, and will not give up at the first hurdle and say it doesn’t work, as some have reported. I took my last Kia to a dealer for exactly 7 years and then stopped, precisely to keep the warranty up. I then took it to a local garage around the corner who charged hundreds of pounds less for each service from year 7 onwards. Did it fall apart from being serviced by a non-Kia dealer? Surprisingly, no. As for other premium brands, yes I do have experience of owning BMW, VW and Land Rovers and sold these cars precisely because of being ripped off by dealers for extortionate parts, servicing and repair costs. I’ve actually managed to get a copy of the files from someone helpful on the Kia owners Facebook page, from copies they have used successfully themselves. The updates worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The 36 month warranty on Audio / Navigation components has been mentioned in (the many) other threads on the topic however.

The problem the forum has is that starting a new thread, without searching to see if a similar thread already exists, seems to be the knee jerk of many posters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts