Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

My car is 2017 Ceed GT Line S with 22400 miles on the clock. Its 3rd service along with the 1st MOT is due in May 2020.
I have just been on KIA website to get my head around booking my service and MOT.
Once I have put down all the required details and choosing the dealership/servicing place available I then got to a page to select services required.
Firstly, I got asked to select the type of the service required - 20 000miles / 2 years or 30 000 / 3 years. This is a bit of a daft, unnecessary question - but ok, I ticked 30 000m/3 years, as this is what I need.
BUT it gets even more confusing later.
Next one to choose is BRAKE FLUID CHANGE - ???
and further down is AIRCON SERVICE - ???
and lastly, MOT.

I don't understand this at all. I'm confused.
I have bought a service plan with MOT`s included. All I want to do is to book the right interval service and MOT and that is it. Why do I need to select Aircon Service or Brake Fluid change?
I don't know what is required and what is not required at this particular service interval? I have paid for 3 services plus MOT and I should not be bothered which particular fluid or part is replaced according to the manufacturer schedule at all, if I'm honest. That is the whole idea of having a service plan, right? To be hassle free.
I'm not sure about the aircon, but the brake fluid change is compulsory and very important from the safety aspect of course. Why do I need to select it as an extra? That should be there, on the service schedule and included.
If I did not select it, besides of a risking my and my beloved ones lives, would KIA refuse warranty repair on brake system if such one occurs, as I have not changed the brake fluid as required by the manufacturer schedule?
Has anyone here been through this already? Is the brake fluid change included in the service plan or this needs to be paid in for extra? I cannot even imagine it not being included in service plan. This would negate the whole idea of buying a service plan in my opinion. Why is the oil change included in service plan then? It is as vital for the car as brake fluid or coolant.

To add to this, if I did not book aircon service, would KIA refuse any warranty repairs on aircon should these arise? Are these on the manufacturer schedule as compulsory? If aircon service is compulsory than that should be included in the service plan, shouldn't it?

And finally, for every single option to book on KIA website booking (service interval, aircon, brake fluid, MOT) there is a specific price shown next to. This is even more confusing, as I have a service plan, so I'm not paying for anything really and truly, right? These prices for the same option vary by the dealer as well - one dealer quotes £79 for 30 000 miles service, while other only £69. Same with other items listed "as optional".
But what is even more interesting, the list of options varies by dealer as well - some places do not show option to choose Brake Fluid Change at all, some do. Some places show Body and Anti-corrosion check to choose, while others don`t and so on. What is exactly required and what is an option? What is included in service plan and what isn't? This whole booking system is very inconsistent and lacks any integrity.
I have done excessive online research on the above, but I could not find the answers.

Any ideas?

I appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Marcin

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I don't know what is required and what is not required at this particular service interval?
You ought to have an owner’s handbook which, if similar to that supplied with my Optima, should provide a detailed list, item by item, of each service.

The price of each service on the plan is pre-paid so any differences between dealer prices can be ignored (all marques have franchised dealers whose labour charges differ on account of geographic location or just plain greed!)

You are free to have the servicing performed at any KIA dealership you choose but I would pre-empt any perceived difficulty you might envisage by visiting the dealership in advance and agreeing with them, armed with the information from the handbook, the items to be dealt with in the relevant service.

If the schedule for your Ceed follows the same pattern as my car, then odd numbered services are minor and even numbers are the major ones. It follows therefore that a 3-year plan consists of two minor and one major service. It is arguable if that plan is worthwhile but I don’t know how much you paid. In my case, I paid £609 for 5 services which I considered good value when I purchased the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Indalo,

Thanks for your input on this.
My Ceed was bought as approved used in 2018, so it already had its first service done when I bought it. Once I acquired it, I then bought a service plan for next 3 services and 2 MOTs, all in for a total of £399. Therefore my pattern would be opposite to the "normal" one. I have already used one service in May 2019 and by looking into the paperwork this was a major one. However there is no word about brake fluid change at that time, which according to the owner's manual is/was required at 24 months service. Shall I contact the dealership who carried out the work and question this?
The upcoming service in May 2020 would be a minor one, so going by the book - brake fluid change isn't required.

I have got a owner's manual with the detailed list of items and schedules for the service, but this is not the point. This list should be in a possession of dealerships to follow. I should not be bothered with this at all. This is the whole beauty of buying service plan, if you know what I mean?

The point I'm trying to make as well is that the service booking facility on myKia online is utter c...p.
Why do I need to choose whether I want brake fluid change? Just go by the book KIA.
There should be only one option to choose and it should be ticked by default: 30.000miles / 3years service and maybe another option to check if needed - MOT. That's it.

From what I understand from your comment, I should just tick all the boxes and I shouldn't bother with the total cost, as all is prepaid and the dealership will get their money from eMac, right?

Thanks again for any replies.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
there is no word about brake fluid change at that time, which according to the owner's manual is/was required at 24 months service. Shall I contact the dealership who carried out the work and question this?

I have got a owner's manual with the detailed list of items and schedules for the service, but this is not the point. This list should be in a possession of dealerships to follow.

From what I understand from your comment, I should just tick all the boxes and I shouldn't bother with the total cost, as all is prepaid and the dealership will get their money from eMac, right?
Your plan should specify any area of the servicing schedule beyond the listed service items - in my case only the cabin filter was payable as an extra but that was made clear to me by the selling dealer at purchase - that is a biennial occurrence due at each major service on the Optima. If there are no listed exclusions from the check list in the handbook, then the dealer is being paid to perform those items you expect to be covered and listed in your handbook.

Make no mistake; the dealers have the same list as you and I can see from previous service checklists that the dealer performed every check and fluid/filter change contained in my handbook……or lied about it!

As for the brake fluid change, you may wish to speak to the servicing dealer who will probably assure you it was done - if it’s in the schedule, they are obliged to do it - but they may simply lie about it.

Besides my comments, you might be wise to direct your difficulty with the service plan arrangements to the KIA Customer Support team that maintains a presence in these pages. They can usually bring clarity to the various quandaries that crop up and they can sometime liaise with dealers to straighten out any difficulties.

As for your more general point about the pre-paid service plan and the online nonsense you discovered, I would agree with you that KIA needs to take responsibility for their part in providing a service plan as an option and get it sorted so customers can have faith in that area of the KIA ownership model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts