Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Does anyone have experience of the 'strip antenna' based parking sensor systems.
No holes to drill in bumpers, it's an adhesive fit behind it.
Looks like a possible attractive proposition for both front and rear.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hmm never seen or heard of these, off to google now.
Be interesting if they're a good option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi drakey,
Have a shufty at <parkingdynamics.co.uk>, I found their info very interesting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had one installed in my last car. Only works while car is moving, no use in rain or on a slope and the range got shorter and shorter until it was usless after a couple of years. I couldn't recommend one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi baddogshuck
Could you elaborate a bit.
Isn't it designed to operate only when the car is moving ?
Rain/snow can attenuate the signal from any of the currently available systems to a greater or lesser extent.
Don't understand the problem with a slope.
The gradual shortening of the range I can understand, very probably a result of the joint between the antenna strip and the 'lead in' wire to the control box becoming increasinly corroded over time - usually a poorly sealed joint, I've regularly seen the same problem with HF radio antennas.

Look forward to your comments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll try my best to explain.

It can only work while the car is moving. Instead ofactivelybouncing ultrasonic waves off objects like normal parking sensors, these set up an electromagnetic field and sense any disruption to this. If the car isn't moving, there is no change to the field. The car doesn't have to be moving very fast, but if you slow too much or stop, it will fall silent.

In ultrasonic sensors, rain attenuates the signal by scattering the return waves. In the electromagnetic version it doesn't attenuate the signal, but picks up the rain droplets passing through the static field and alerts accordingly. It is designed to be less selective if it senses rain -you need a larger change in the field before it alerts, so has the same attenuation effect. My last car's bumper had a large lip to it, so raincollectedwhere the system couldn't cancel it out, Idoubtit would be such a problem on the Cee'd

Slopes. Because the road surface is usually flat, there's no change to the electromagnetic field. However, if there is a change to the gradient this will change the shape of the field and the sensor will sound.

You can buy replacement magnetic strips, which suggests the manufacturers are aware of the antenna failing after time.

I bought a Taurus T123, which seems to have been rebranded as the Parking Dynamics PD1. I will say, it's a very clever idea, but inpracticeit just doesn't work as well as the ultrasonic ones.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
baddogshuck
Thanks for that detailed info.
I can now see the downsides of the system. I will look into it further.
As I'd prefer not to cut holes in the car if I can avoid it I will need to make a 'value judgment' that I can live with, at some point in the not too distant future.
I've been driving big 4WDs for the past 15 years so there's a learning curve to negotiate

·
Registered
226 Posts
My previous car had aftermarket reverse parking sensors fitted that were not the drill in the bumper type or the fit around the numberplate type. They were somehow fitted behind the plastic of the bumper, in 2 places, invisble from the outside, linked up to a beeper.
The only downside was that when the bumper was covered in raindrops they got confused and didnt work very well.
I didnt fit them, I bought the car like it. I dont know what technology they used.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've not looked at my Cee'd too closely to see if you can fit the strip without taking the bumper off the car, itmightbe easier to drill holes than removing the bumper. I took my Caliber to a local garage to get the Taurus unit fitted fitted properly

By all means try this strip, it's cheap enough off ebay and better than nothing, but I'm glad I paid extra for the factory-fit unit when I bought my cee'd.

The alternative is not to worry too much - as I was told in Germany, they're called BUMPers for a reason. The money you save on parking sensors will pay for respraying the bumper when you come to sell the vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not worried about taking the bumper off, my cousins' son is an automotive technician so I'll pick his brains first - or even ask him to do the job - though I take pride in doing most of my own work.
My garage is very well equipped.
Respraying not a problem either as I've got all the required kit for that as well, including sand/grit blasting and shot peening.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Kingavon reversing unit, it is extremly accrite, to one foot in distance and this one unit is the third car I have fitted it to. It has a warning light and a buzzer
You put some double sided sticky tape on the sensors and tuck the wire under- neath

Blom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts