Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I've had one of these. I'm used to the old manual one which relies on the strength you pull to what is applied. I've never had to but wondered about a brake failure you always had that manual ability to help slow or stop the car, but what happens with this electric one ? How much is applied if you switch it while driving...if anything at all ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time I've had one of these. I'm used to the old manual one which relies on the strength you pull to what is applied. I've never had to but wondered about a brake failure you always had that manual ability to help slow or stop the car, but what happens with this electric one ? How much is applied if you switch it while driving...if anything at all ?
Interesting point raised here, I mot test cars for a living and found the (EPB) to be a proper pain and almost the harnessing of lazyness for drivers / desigener alike, although we now have limited choice on new cars.
In answer to your question, there is limited opportunity for the EPB to be useful other than locking on the brakes at a stationary point. The fun begins when testing them though, many cars adopt a EPB programme during a brake roller test, others simply apply with several applications of the switch. The brake rollers tend to opperate at between 4 to 5 MPH, so we can still use rollers to ascertain braking forces. The parking brakes also have a mind of their own during testing procedures when rotating a wheel off the ramp, they can lock on by themselves, also if the drivers door is shut they can also self engage which causes the tester to use more valuable time re-positioning the ramp to release the mind of its own parking brake.
Going back to your initial question, the parking brake can be used as emergency if it becomes a serious situation, but holds risks greater than normal brake systems, and unlimited damage may follow on from this process, however an absolute emergency, I would use it for my best effort in a similar way as a conventional mechanical parking brake.
Lets face it, we have had cable operated ones for donkeys years and over the years they have proven to be perfectly reliable and cost effective (Just my opinion).

·
Super Moderator
5,889 Posts

There is a good u-tube video that shows that they do still work.

Suffice to say it's not something to do unless you really need to do it.

Reactions: Aln114

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Bit concerning but guess this is way it's going these days

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
689 Posts
Ah the EPB; the solution to a problem that didn't exist....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts