Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just been onto the Ford Website and have put a deposit down on a LR RWD Mustang Mach-E for delivery roundabout June 2021 in Red, This is just the deposit, Ford will contact me later to confirm the order. one good thing is servicing is every 2 years.....

Has anybody else ordered or maybe thinking of going electric

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
90 Posts
Test drove a Polestar just before Christmas - launch model with a motor on both axles.
I have to say it looked good and drove well, the power delivery was immense and the road handling good.
My only real gripe was the tablet control in the centre console - much prefer analogue switches and dials but I guess that is because of my age!
Otherwise fully loaded with gadgets, very similar tech to that in the Stinger.

My car is now 3 years old and I might just switch ...

·
Registered
811 Posts
My next car is going to be a EV, had my consumer board updated last week all ready for charger install when I decide what car, waiting for the new Kia to show its face (y)

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
633 Posts
When you have China, America,India ,Africa Russia etc etc driving around in vehicles with very high emissions buying A very expensive EV on this little island will have very little effect on the levels of pollution so good luck and well done to people spending their hard earned on an overpriced EV but not for me EVer EVer EVer

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
973 Posts
Not for at least five years, I feel.

Unless I win the lottery or there are significant financial incentives for BEV (more likely disincentives for ICE), I'd be looking at a used electric car. And as of today, there is just under half a million cars listed on Autotrader, of which just under six thousand are electric, so choice is strictly limited at the moment (and none of those appeal to me). In five years time, there'll be a much stronger market presence from manufacturers I'd trust like KIA, Hyundai, Toyota, Mazda etc and - surely to goodness - the charging infrastructure will have been improved significantly. The market will be unrecognisable in by 2030.

As it is, if I continue working form home for three more months, I'll have gone from 20k per annum to less than 2k, so I have no incentive to sink a vast amount of money in a half-decent electric car. Hopefully I can continue at least some working from home after that, which is surely the best way to reduce my environmental impact.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've done my bit and bought a Mild Hybrid, and that's as close to electric as I want to go. Personally I could easily put in a charging point, but many car owners have no option than park in the street, possibly not even outside their own house. Queues to recharge at Service Stations? Just look how many cars can visit a Service Station in 15 minutes at busy times. Personally I don't see how the infrastructure will be ready for an enforced changeover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
It is the pollution from his concept that is accelerating the change to cleaner technology
[/QUOTE]
The "concept" was for it to run on available vegetable oils not petrochemicals, to break the stranglehold of the petrochemical industry, his idea was for it to run on any locally produced oil, (mine all run on used/waste/free veg oil, 3 Land rovers and a Mercedes 7.5ton camper and my central heating). But it looks like most folk have swallowed the hype. Trains ships and plant and aircraft will run on oil for a long time to come. Ironically I can drive a Land Rover into the Lez without a charge it has no dpf or cat, MOT and VED exempt so pays nothing into any system including the Lez it would acheive 25mpg in the city centre. It is the same politically driven scientists who enforced cats to be fitted that produce increased C02, drove ever higher emission std's that in turn produced ever smaller particulates, the same that told you to buy Diesel engines only a few years back, the drive to go green has increased shipping and global transportation, shipping that is more polluting than the vehicles replaced produced, but the vehicles replaced are still polluting in the main being exported to third world countries with no emission controls (no MOT etc) so adding to global pollution, 2015-2018 in 3 years 14 million used or scrappage scheme polluting vehicles were added to the third world pollution in order to satisfy the Greener emissions of the west. (and more shipping to get them there) London suffers with pollution from trains, all major ports from shipping, live near an airport its the same. The electrical infrastructure is built and maintained with diesel engined vehicles, ships installing the wind generators and maintaining them, the roads are built and maintained the same, a few cars (globally speaking) going electric saving the planet mmmmme. What does the electrician drive that installs the charging points in folks homes, the chargers that in all likely invariably manufactured halfway around the world shipped and transported to the door by oil power, to charge a car made from oil in the form of plastic, Diesel and Petrol will not go away globally, if in fantasy land every vehicle in the world went Electric, diesel and petrol would be burned off as a waste product as the same amount of oil is required to supply the plastic and chemical industry, the cables that carry the power, every day packaging and goods made from oil. Cars the cash cow that never stops giving to the governments of the world. Most folk buy them it appears currently with the subsidies and lack of VED and Fuel duty they are financially viable, not to save the planet. One of my neighbours bought a Leaf, he mentioned saving the planet once, mentions savings all the time, ironically he has a big Diesel to tow his caravan as an EV won't and like many others cuts his grass with a petrol mower...........But each to their own, if I didn't run a free vehicle here (the Isle of Man) an EV maybe viable due to the size of the Island, the uptake has been slow here but already they are to introduce VED for EV's to compensate the loss of VED and Fuel duty, the biggest issue is the huge number of homes without private parking so no facility for a charger. The next currant issue would be the range and lack of charging available say on a run to Europe, it will be a long time till I can use an EV to replicate my (covid aside) annual run of 3,000 miles in the camper (all on free veg oil it's a motorbike carrier) round Europe, most places I go don't have electricity for campers let alone for an EV, if you do mainly local predictable journies they are ideal if you take advantage of the subsidies and have the facility to charge etc. On a personal note, for now I will stick with my free motoring in vehicles that have the opposite of depreciation, I can see the attraction for many with potential savings and a few who may be thinking of the planet. The EV has added a new slant on the old vegan joke, "How do you know which is the EV owner in a room full of people ? Don't worry they will tell you" ha ha have fun. PS I also have Diesel engine based hobbies too, I did say I was a Diesel nut in a manner.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When you have China, America,India ,Africa Russia etc etc driving around in vehicles with very high emissions buying A very expensive EV on this little island will have very little effect on the levels of pollution so good luck and well done to people spending their hard earned on an overpriced EV but not for me EVer EVer EVer
China has one of the highest uptakes of EV's anywhere in the world.
The problem with cars, lorries and buses is that they create the pollution locally. This isn't as much about the global problems of climate change, it is about creating a cleaner environment in towns and cities.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not for at least five years, I feel.

Unless I win the lottery or there are significant financial incentives for BEV (more likely disincentives for ICE), I'd be looking at a used electric car. And as of today, there is just under half a million cars listed on Autotrader, of which just under six thousand are electric, so choice is strictly limited at the moment (and none of those appeal to me). In five years time, there'll be a much stronger market presence from manufacturers I'd trust like KIA, Hyundai, Toyota, Mazda etc and - surely to goodness - the charging infrastructure will have been improved significantly. The market will be unrecognisable in by 2030.

As it is, if I continue working form home for three more months, I'll have gone from 20k per annum to less than 2k, so I have no incentive to sink a vast amount of money in a half-decent electric car. Hopefully I can continue at least some working from home after that, which is surely the best way to reduce my environmental impact.
As you say, EV's are currently too expensive.

Because the price of producing batteries is falling all the time, we are getting very near to the point when the price difference between an EV and a ICE car will disappear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've done my bit and bought a Mild Hybrid, and that's as close to electric as I want to go. Personally I could easily put in a charging point, but many car owners have no option than park in the street, possibly not even outside their own house. Queues to recharge at Service Stations? Just look how many cars can visit a Service Station in 15 minutes at busy times. Personally I don't see how the infrastructure will be ready for an enforced changeover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have been driving electric cars for 4 years. When I first got one, they was no rapid charging options on the A303 down to the west country. There are now numerous chargers you can use, and the numbers will only grow.
Many employers are fitting charge points to the work car parks.
Other car parks such as railway stations, retail parks, supermarkets and town centres now have charging points.
There are also plans to fit charging points to lampposts in residential streets.

·
Registered
215 Posts
In Germany the telecoms company (and I'm sure many others) have EV charge points at the headquarters, when the employee is not at the headquarters and at night, you can rent the bay with it's charge point you book it on line.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The "concept" was for it to run on available vegetable oils not petrochemicals, to break the stranglehold of the petrochemical industry, his idea was for it to run on any locally produced oil, (mine all run on used/waste/free veg oil, 3 Land rovers and a Mercedes 7.5ton camper and my central heating). But it looks like most folk have swallowed the hype. Trains ships and plant and aircraft will run on oil for a long time to come. Ironically I can drive a Land Rover into the Lez without a charge it has no dpf or cat, MOT and VED exempt so pays nothing into any system including the Lez it would acheive 25mpg in the city centre. It is the same politically driven scientists who enforced cats to be fitted that produce increased C02, drove ever higher emission std's that in turn produced ever smaller particulates, the same that told you to buy Diesel engines only a few years back, the drive to go green has increased shipping and global transportation, shipping that is more polluting than the vehicles replaced produced, but the vehicles replaced are still polluting in the main being exported to third world countries with no emission controls (no MOT etc) so adding to global pollution, 2015-2018 in 3 years 14 million used or scrappage scheme polluting vehicles were added to the third world pollution in order to satisfy the Greener emissions of the west. (and more shipping to get them there) London suffers with pollution from trains, all major ports from shipping, live near an airport its the same. The electrical infrastructure is built and maintained with diesel engined vehicles, ships installing the wind generators and maintaining them, the roads are built and maintained the same, a few cars (globally speaking) going electric saving the planet mmmmme. What does the electrician drive that installs the charging points in folks homes, the chargers that in all likely invariably manufactured halfway around the world shipped and transported to the door by oil power, to charge a car made from oil in the form of plastic, Diesel and Petrol will not go away globally, if in fantasy land every vehicle in the world went Electric, diesel and petrol would be burned off as a waste product as the same amount of oil is required to supply the plastic and chemical industry, the cables that carry the power, every day packaging and goods made from oil. Cars the cash cow that never stops giving to the governments of the world. Most folk buy them it appears currently with the subsidies and lack of VED and Fuel duty they are financially viable, not to save the planet. One of my neighbours bought a Leaf, he mentioned saving the planet once, mentions savings all the time, ironically he has a big Diesel to tow his caravan as an EV won't and like many others cuts his grass with a petrol mower...........But each to their own, if I didn't run a free vehicle here (the Isle of Man) an EV maybe viable due to the size of the Island, the uptake has been slow here but already they are to introduce VED for EV's to compensate the loss of VED and Fuel duty, the biggest issue is the huge number of homes without private parking so no facility for a charger. The next currant issue would be the range and lack of charging available say on a run to Europe, it will be a long time till I can use an EV to replicate my (covid aside) annual run of 3,000 miles in the camper (all on free veg oil it's a motorbike carrier) round Europe, most places I go don't have electricity for campers let alone for an EV, if you do mainly local predictable journies they are ideal if you take advantage of the subsidies and have the facility to charge etc. On a personal note, for now I will stick with my free motoring in vehicles that have the opposite of depreciation, I can see the attraction for many with potential savings and a few who may be thinking of the planet. The EV has added a new slant on the old vegan joke, "How do you know which is the EV owner in a room full of people ? Don't worry they will tell you" ha ha have fun. PS I also have Diesel engine based hobbies too, I did say I was a Diesel nut in a manner.
To own a car is never going to be 'green', wherever it was built. Whether you buy a Honda built in Swindon or Japan, the raw materials and components have been shipped from all over the world.
If we want to live in a modern world, environmental damage is the price we pay. Having a global market and the requirement for personal transport, that shiny new bit of technology and to travel the world, it will never be 'green'. All we can do is try to lower the impact we have on our environment. The stupidity of government or the greed of some business should not be used as an excuse not to do anything.

We should also remember that oil is not an inexhaustible product. At some point in the future, it will run out. For now, it is getting more difficult find. We are now having to drill much deeper under the sea, or in much more inhospitable locations on the planet. The resources required to extract the oil, transport it around the world, refine it and then transport it to a location where we can buy it is huge, as is the environment impact.

Owning an EV will never solve the world's ills. But if it makes the air quality on your local road just that little bit better as it is not emitting a toxic mix of gases created by the burning of a fossil fuel, that has got to be good for everybody.

·
Registered
215 Posts
China has one of the highest uptakes of EV's anywhere in the world.
The problem with cars, lorries and buses is that they create the pollution locally. This isn't as much about the global problems of climate change, it is about creating a cleaner environment in towns and cities.
Whilst grasping the concept of "local pollution" export of "Dirty polluting vehicles" from China has grown massively to countries where they will be operating in a worse i.e. more polluting state, plus the shipping pollution to get them there, so one slightly less polluted local place/world far more polluted. Millions of "dirty" cars are being sold to Africa etc and they will be in use in a worse state far longer than the country they left from. Predicted growth of vehicle use in the third world is huge, it is predicted to shrink in modern parts of the world.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Whilst grasping the concept of "local pollution" export of "Dirty polluting vehicles" from China has grown massively to countries where they will be operating in a worse i.e. more polluting state, plus the shipping pollution to get them there, so one slightly less polluted local place/world far more polluted. Millions of "dirty" cars are being sold to Africa etc and they will be in use in a worse state far longer than the country they left from. Predicted growth of vehicle use in the third world is huge, it is predicted to shrink in modern parts of the world.
If we can influence what is happening in other parts of the world then great.
If we can't influence them, we should get our bit as good as we can.

I can't do much to help the people in Africa been poisoned by exhaust fumes. I can be part of the movement that helps clean up the air in our towns and cities.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well it looks like the majority won't have an option other than to improve the air quality in cities most are planning to ban private car journies totally in them and that includes EV's. It makes sense to push for the likes of EV's with regards to heavily populated areas, but in rural areas the case is not so strong on a local basis (or here on the IOM where the air quality is great bar ship pollution). It's a shame the "movement" requires every tax payer to subsidize it without choice (or a limited choice, like moving here etc) and the enforced nature of it's implementation when many do not have the means or the ability to charge an EV, how many would join the movement at it's true cost with no subsidy and a ved/fuel duty rate or equivalent of £1000 to £1500 per year. Like me with my veg oil and "historic" free to run vehicles we need to enjoy the benefit while we can. Thank god there are no plans to enforce Electric motorcycles and at least for here no plans to ban open fires or log burners (I have 3 of those too). In history tech has never needed to be forced/legislated onto folk before, from horse, to steam, onto Diesel props to jets, if the tech was both good and viable it sold it self, the EV being legislated into being is a first, 9 years allegedly to go, the largest tourism trend is still caravans and campers, I haven't seen a single site providing more than a few electric hook ups and those are not for charging EV's, the ability to tow isn't there yet en mass let alone the range when towing together with an infrastructure to support it. The increase in air travel year on year (bar covid of course) demonstrates folks commitment to pollution, I laugh every year November time when the bonfire and firework pollution is deemed perfectly acceptable, we have no "green" energy produced here, the burning of 50,000 tons of household waste is one of the production methods the other utilizes gas, all rather a mixed message. Towns and cities could and are banning ICE vehicles this would achieve the "local improvement" the banning of ICE persay on a wider basis has less reasoning if it's towns and cities where pollution is the issue, I still cannot see any suggestions for folk without the provision to charge an EV, many vans are stored/based at yards where there is no electricity at all. Parking is a major issue here on the Island, many homes and flats do not have any parking allocated, I am on a few EV forums and this issue is covered by a bury your head in the sand mentality, the tech is amazing although it's practicality at present is not for the majority, it more than suits those with short predictable journies esp those who never tow or travel longer distances, back in Jan my lad and I drove non stop from Budepest to Gibraltar some 1900 miles, straight onto a ferry then down to Sierra Leone, no EV will be capable of that for many years to come if ever with regards to Africa, we wild camped in the dessert never seeing a town etc. Have fun long may the Historic class be exempt the madness.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Let's make an initial leap of faith that somehow purchase prices of EVs will fall, and that a massive acceleration will occur in the rollout of the charging infrastructure in the U.K. (there are no sign this will happen at the rate required ... yet).

1.) I can clearly see the benefits of using an Electric Car in an urban environment.
But that's not where I (used to) drive my car most of the time - it was from one quiet area to an office or industrial estate also on the outskirts of nowhere.

2.) The CO2 involved in constructing an electric car, Cobalt Mining (child labour in the Congo?) is an invisible part of the process when your electric car whirrs off the forecourt.
Of course, there have been similar environmental fiascos associated with the oil industry.

3.) Where does the electricity to power your Electric Car come from?
This is a snapshot from today G. B. National Grid status (templar.co.uk)

Biomass - converted coal plants burning timber or wood waste.
Wind Power is looking a bit sad, because there is hardly any wind.
Nuclear - nobody wants one near them, despite decades of operating safely.
CCGT - what is this, you might ask? It's a Combined Cycle Gas Turbine. Gas turbine exhausts driving a boiler and steam turbine.

So when you are plugging in your Electric Car to recharge, roughly 50% of that electricity is coming from burning Gas.
With only 10% coming from Wind Power.

I'm seriously thinking about buying something "mad" before ICE cars are banned from sale.
e.g. F-Type P575 or Porker 911 Turbo.
Main concern would be availability of petrol in 20-25 years time?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.