Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't used my car for 15 days and don't know when I will be able to again as we are all being asked to only make essential journeys.

How will not using the car, for perhaps some considerable time, affect the car. What should I be aware of the first time I do use the car or are there any precauations I should take whilst it is not being used.

Just trying to plan ahead and not being mecanically minded I didn't know what I should ot shouldn't do. Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have often left my car unused for 4/5 weeks at a time and so far have had no issues.

Assuming the battery is in good condition you should have no problems, although I read in these forums it's advisable to un-select the light setting that keeps the lights on after you lock the car (if you have that feature), the suggestion was it added a slight battery drain.

The only thing to watch is that the brakes may 'stick' (pads to disk - my handbrake always does!) so it's wise to move gently at first to get them to free up and test the brakes during the first couple of hundreds of yards travel, there could be a tendency for the car to pull to one side until they bed down properly.

·
Super Moderator
2,674 Posts
Don't be tempted to go out and just run it for a few mins, that will flatten the battery faster, than not being used.
Don't rev it when restarting. Give it chance to pump oil round engine.
Lightly brake to remove the surface rust off the disks.
If possible park in gear and leave handbrake off. (I once had a clio that was not used for a few weeks. Rear brake had stuck so much it pulled show off in drum, leaving car stuck at side of road and was bitch to get off...)

Don't know if you are self isolating. If not, think about using car every other week to go to supermarket. I do have a local one I can walk too, but prefer to go to one a bit further away (usual supermarket) so are doing this to keep car going. As well as allowing me to get more stuff less often.

·
Registered
619 Posts
We spent 7 weeks away, about the time the "beast from the east" hit in 2018. Car was sat on our drive untouched the whole time, we even have a photo of it with snow drifted up against it. When we got back, jumped in the car and it started straight away. As others suggested the brakes did stick, but it released and a few light dabs cleaned them up. Other than a decent clean, it was fine.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I drive an automatic, never leave the handbrake on in the drive, even when in Austalia for 12 weeks each year, just leave it in Park. With a manual, I left it in gear.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
You need to drive the car every once in a while - the discs will corrode and become pitted if the rust is not scraped off (by using the brakes while moving) and then it's new discs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You need to drive the car every once in a while - the discs will corrode and become pitted if the rust is not scraped off (by using the brakes while moving) and then it's new discs.
Having just that with the rear on mine..car not being driven a great deal..I have already bought new rear discs and pads anyways cos they are past their sell by date..getting them fitted tho is proving a little difficult with me being unwell and the mobile tech I now use not answering his phone or emails..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drive an automatic, never leave the handbrake on in the drive, even when in Austalia for 12 weeks each year, just leave it in Park. With a manual, I left it in gear.
Thanks for the advice. I have put the car in gear and taken off the handbrake. Also put a brick behind one wheel as it's on a slope.

How far should the car be driven? I assume I will need to go far enough to put some power back in the battery to take account of the power needed to start a diesel in the first place. Correct me if I am wrong about this.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have put the car in gear and taken off the handbrake. Also put a brick behind one wheel as it's on a slope.

How far should the car be driven? I assume I will need to go far enough to put some power back in the battery to take account of the power needed to start a diesel in the first place. Correct me if I am wrong about this.
15 miles should do it..thats what I do normally when I take my venga for a run..can't visit family now with whats going on so the 30 mile run it had then isn't possible..dont want to take a chance taking it out for to long a run incase I get stopped by the police..plus the fact that now its getting low on fuel..

·
Registered
986 Posts
I dont want to take a chance taking it out for to long a run in case I get stopped by the police..plus the fact that now its getting low on fuel..
Have you seen the price of fuel now..soon they will be giving it to you..£105 per litre in our area (Esso fuel)!!

I have taken our Sportage out once in 3 weeks now just for the shopping only because the bags are so heavy to carry home on one of our permitted exercise walks, I hope it will be OK once we get back to normality, saying that it is in a cosy warm garage, but in December it was parked up outside our son`s house for 4 whole weeks without starting it and we had some cold nights, when it was needed it started up no problem

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
15 miles should do it..thats what I do normally when I take my venga for a run..can't visit family now with whats going on so the 30 mile run it had then isn't possible..dont want to take a chance taking it out for to long a run incase I get stopped by the police..plus the fact that now its getting low on fuel..
Thanks for the suggestion of a 15 mile trip. My normal supermarket is only a 3 mile each way trip, not that i've been there since things started. I've got plenty of fuel as topped up just just before the lockdown started, but like you I am concerned about getting stopped by the police if I go further than the supermarket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't used my car for 15 days and don't know when I will be able to again as we are all being asked to only make essential journeys.

How will not using the car, for perhaps some considerable time, affect the car. What should I be aware of the first time I do use the car or are there any precauations I should take whilst it is not being used.

Just trying to plan ahead and not being mecanically minded I didn't know what I should ot shouldn't do. Thanks
Good day, Just wanted to say thank you for your reminders, sadly a little late for us.
unfortunately like many, our local shops are close , about 3 miles round trip, so I think the battery on our Venga diesel has not enough power left in it, went to use it today, engine wouldn’t even turn , just gives a loud Click when turning the key, can anyone give advise, and instructions on removing the battery, So I can replace it.
I can not see any bolts or brackets to undo , it is a Venga 14 Eco-Dynamics diesel (2010)
I don’t have a manual, this is the first Kia I have had, previously older cars easy to remove .

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good day, Just wanted to say thank you for your reminders, sadly a little late for us.
unfortunately like many, our local shops are close , about 3 miles round trip, so I think the battery on our Venga diesel has not enough power left in it, went to use it today, engine wouldn’t even turn , just gives a loud Click when turning the key, can anyone give advise, and instructions on removing the battery, So I can replace it.
I can not see any bolts or brackets to undo , it is a Venga 14 Eco-Dynamics diesel (2010)
I don’t have a manual, this is the first Kia I have had, previously older cars easy to remove .

Thank you in advance.
If its like the 1.4 petrol there will be a bolt or two at the rear of the battery.. couldnt find a venga vid but this will give you a general idea..

·
Registered
463 Posts

Thank you in advance.
Replacing the battery is a bit extreme.
Just buy a charger from Amazon, they're still doing deliveries.
Between £20 and £30 will get you a trickle charger that will charge your battery (OK it will take a few hours) and then keep it charged on trickle.
I'm assuming, of course, you have a drive and can leave the charger connected for days/weeks on end.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
our local shops are close , about 3 miles round trip, so I think the battery on our Venga diesel has not enough power left in it, went to use it today, engine wouldn’t even turn , just gives a loud Click when turning the key,
How many trips did you do before the battery died?

Just buy a charger from Amazon, they're still doing deliveries.
Between £20 and £30 will get you a trickle charger that will charge your battery (OK it will take a few hours) and then keep it charged on trickle.
I'm assuming, of course, you have a drive and can leave the charger connected for days/weeks on end.
Is a trickle charger the same as a nomal batery charger?

·
Registered
463 Posts
A trickle charger is as it sounds, it trickles charge in rather than flooding it in.
So if the battery is flat, it will take a while to charge it.
But they’re completely safe to leave on all the time.
They’re also called battery conditioners.
My motorbikes are on trickle chargers for months on end in winter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts