Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another ECU-ETACS bites the dust. This time it wasn't the removal of the battery but the stereo keeps switching on/off while I'm driving. Clearly there's a fault somewhere in the electrics, anyone got an idea of what I'm looking for? Quite desperate now. Spoke to Kia UK yesterday who told me to take it to the dealer but they've recently had it for 6 days and couldn't find the problem. May be better with an auto-electrician?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi.
ECU- ETACS are covered on the CD disc manual you can purchase from our brother on this site. Go to forum look for manual and it will have 10 or more pages of requests for one. So go to page 10 and ask.
Hope this OK
Steve Gx

·
Registered
390 Posts
stevegx said:
Hi.
ECU- ETACS are covered on the CD disc manual you can purchase from our brother on this site. Go to forum look for manual and it will have 10 or more pages of requests for one. So go to page 10 and ask.
Hope this OK
Steve Gx
BRUNO 1926 is the Guy just remembered. About a £5.

·
Registered
702 Posts
saddpr said:
Another ECU-ETACS bites the dust. This time it wasn't the removal of the battery but the stereo keeps switching on/off while I'm driving. Clearly there's a fault somewhere in the electrics, anyone got an idea of what I'm looking for? Quite desperate now. Spoke to Kia UK yesterday who told me to take it to the dealer but they've recently had it for 6 days and couldn't find the problem. May be better with an auto-electrician?
Is the stero a factory fitted job or is it an after market job? How is it fitted i.e. is connected by the propper connector or is it a cut the wire and connect job/ Normally you would have a red main wire the gives power when the ignition is on and a thinner yellow wire that gives a low positive feed to the head unit when the ignition is off to save the preset stations etc. I've had a quick look at the ETACS wiring diagram and can't see any relation/connection between the radio and the ETACS unit. I would think the problem lies either with the head unit its self or the wiring up to it. Just as a thought is the + terminal on the battery tight? if its a little loose it can/would cause the problem you've got (ask me how I know) plus it would be giving the ETACS unit a smack every time it disconted and reconnected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stereo is not the one that came with the car but was fitted at the same time as the car. Checked the installation, looks OK although one wire doesn't go anywhere. Only connection I'm making with the stereo is that it keeps switching on/off whilst I'm driving and the ignition key reminder keeps going off, and that, i believe, is part of the ETACS function. On my 8th ETACS unit now and Kia are hopeless. Had thought it was a grounding problem but maybe there is a problem with the +ve feed somewhere. Put a new battery on not long ago and the terminals are very tight. ETACS fails when you remove the battery and put it back on again. Something's giving it a whack.

What happened to yours and did you fix it?

·
Registered
702 Posts
saddpr said:
Stereo is not the one that came with the car but was fitted at the same time as the car. Checked the installation, looks OK although one wire doesn't go anywhere. Only connection I'm making with the stereo is that it keeps switching on/off whilst I'm driving and the ignition key reminder keeps going off, and that, i believe, is part of the ETACS function. On my 8th ETACS unit now and Kia are hopeless. Had thought it was a grounding problem but maybe there is a problem with the +ve feed somewhere. Put a new battery on not long ago and the terminals are very tight. ETACS fails when you remove the battery and put it back on again. Something's giving it a whack.

What happened to yours and did you fix it?
My etacs is still the original one for some reason the etac problem seems to be more of a MK2 problem. I know the wiring coulours are different from the MK1 so assume the wiring or most of it is different to the MK1. The key reminder is part of the etacs funtion along with numerous others which seems to be the way most companies do it these days which is alwell and good as long as its running ok but a pain when it goes wrong

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thing is, it's not working! I'vegot the 8th ETACS sitting in my garage waiting to go on. I'm not going to put it on until I find out what's causing it to go down every time the battery is removed. The last 3 have been new from the main dealer who now refuse to honour the warranty. They had the car for a week recently and could not find the problem. They say Kia UK won't respond to their requests for support. Kia UK refute this and suggest.......I take it in to the main dealer. Who've now asked Kia UK for technical support and again claim they're getting no response, after 2 weeks. All very frustraiting. Someone must know why the ETACS stop working when the battery is removed, there's enough of them on the forum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts