Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 12 weeks and now the 8th ETACs card it looks like the cause, not to any great surprise, has been indentified. I have a 2004 Sedona LE which was fitted with the Scorpion 1014alarm and keyless entry system(along with the DVD player) as a free upgrade. After some horrendous problems actually getting the dealer's to get on to the problem, they have confirmed, after removing said item, that the problem of disconnecting the battery only to find the ETACs dies on reconnection, has been removed.

FYI the voltages were checked with the alrm in situ and nothing untoward was being sent to the ETACS. Just when you reconnect the battery, by the looks of things.

·
Registered
702 Posts
saddpr said:
After 12 weeks and now the 8th ETACs card it looks like the cause, not to any great surprise, has been indentified. I have a 2004 Sedona LE which was fitted with the Scorpion 1014alarm and keyless entry system(along with the DVD player) as a free upgrade. After some horrendous problems actually getting the dealer's to get on to the problem, they have confirmed, after removing said item, that the problem of disconnecting the battery only to find the ETACs dies on reconnection, has been removed.

FYI the voltages were checked with the alrm in situ and nothing untoward was being sent to the ETACS. Just when you reconnect the battery, by the looks of things.
Glad you finally have an answer to the problem. If one of the mods could make this a sticky at the top of the page it would give ammunition to anyone else having the same problem to point the main dealer in the right direction and hopefully keep the costs involved down. Thanks for having the perciverance to chase this down

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bruno1926 - Thanks for your help with this one earlier on.

Kia UK said they'd never heard of this before and why would they? Replacing the ETACs 'fixes' the problem, until it returns.

Fair play, Kia UK were very helpful. Main problem was getting the main dealer to raise a technical case with Kia UK, as they advised. The car sat on my drive for seven weeks while they did that, and that's not acceptable. Some of the excuses I got were brilliant. Eventually, once the right people were involved we established that, in situ, there was no problem with the voltages applied to the ETACs. With the Scorpion removed the battery could be reconnected without killing the ETACs. As it was only LEs of this period that were routinely fitted with the Scorpion, it may explain why this is a rareish problem.

FYI - the Kia Tech felt that the Scorpion had, possibley,been poorly installed. The wiring was a bit of a mess, cuts and nicks everywhere where cable ties were too tight. Not sure of the grounding integrity either. All in all, better removed!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts