Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering putting a chip in to my 2.0CRDI 06 Magentis, I've had a recommendation for Ecochips, as I was told they do one set for economy. Does anyone have any experience of them in a Kia, especially set for economy, (if available)?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi,

Firstly which ever company tells you the tuning boxes are just for economy they are talking sales pitch.

Yes, you can save on fuel with the correct one, as they are designed to increase Bhp and Torque. We seen different amount of gains with various cars and obviously the driver will determine the end result by his/her style of driving.

Thats why our system is loaded with a file designed for your particular car and in that file you have 9 different powercurves. The lower powercurves will help you save upto 20% in fuel, but we have seen gains as high as 42%...and lower.....this depends how you drive and the condition of the vehicle.

It takes the customer awhile to try the various settings untill he finds the one that suits his requirements.

Please take a moment to look at our website where it explains all the details...

As stated before we have an offer for Forum members.

http://www.griffinmotortuning.com/tuningbox.asp

Taff

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, the comment about economy from the chip company mentioned was from a workmate who put one in his Focus and got an improvement from high 30's to mid to high 50's. I guess they must have several settings as well. My own car is an 06 Magentis with 51000 on the clock and in reasonable condition. I'm getting low to mid 40's, the higher figure on a long run but mostly it's doing fairly short runs (8 or 20 miles trips). It has enough power for me, but due to high fuel prices in the highlands, I'd like to squeeze a bit more from every litre.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; "><div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">If you do a bit of research you will find that your workmate's claim of a 50% (ish) increase in mpg from high 30's to high 50's is, perhaps, a tad optimistic. Remember, tuning boxes can fool trip computers into giving exaggerated readings... although not normally by that much!

If you are thinking of fitting one purely to save cash you need to consider not only the cost of the unit itself but also how much your insurance premiums are going to increase.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It would be interesting to see how many people tell their insurance company they have fitted one. I think you might find it will be a very small amount.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Firstly the returns are dependant on many factors for obvious reasons, i tell my customers to expect 10-15% better returns which is the norm, when it exceeds this, which it can then everyone is even more pleased...added to the better driving experience....

We also advise customers to notify the broker, its upto them if they do not...but i would say around 10% actually do this.

As our system is remote control, it can be tucked away from eyesight and with the same wiring harness as fitted to the cars it is not very obvious to the eye, plus it will not be detected on any diagnostic equipment.

On my wifes Carnival the insurance premium increased by ‚¬45...On my garage motor riskinsurance it increased by ‚¬185...thats an open policy with provision to fit Tuning Boxes to customers cars and test them.

Taff

·
Registered
399 Posts
Techno said:
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; "><div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">If you do a bit of research you will find that your workmate's claim of a 50% (ish) increase in mpg from high 30's to high 50's is, perhaps, a tad optimistic. Remember, tuning boxes can fool trip computers into giving exaggerated readings... although not normally by that much!

If you are thinking of fitting one purely to save cash you need to consider not only the cost of the unit itself but also how much your insurance premiums are going to increase.
they can only fool the electronic ones!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts