Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed any difference with the new petrol? I've seemed to have had an mpg drop but was wondering if anyone else has noticed anything with the GT

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
473 Posts
There seems to be some talk about how ethanol prefers to mix with water than petrol, so in theory if your tank condensates inside and it mixes with this water, it could be put through the fuel lines and potentially freeze in really cold weather.
Only what I read. I in no way know the facts or theories.

·
Super Moderator
9,383 Posts
There seems to be some talk about how ethanol prefers to mix with water than petrol, so in theory if your tank condensates inside and it mixes with this water, it could be put through the fuel lines and potentially freeze in really cold weather.
Only what I read. I in no way know the facts or theories.
Well we will soon find out if we get some really cold weather 😂

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
473 Posts
Lol yeah. I've read too that never filling your tank and only running on half causes condensation. So might run lighter but causes other wear.

I need to stop reading.

Reactions: Bodgerer

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
973 Posts
I've run few tanks through now but haven't any difference. Although if there is any, it is probably being masked by me changing my driving habits since my return to the daily commute.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Our 'other' car is a 2005 Suzuki Vitara,according to the owners manual it is 'ok' for E10 fuel and it does seem to run ok on E10 but I decided to continue using E5 (99ron) as I have also read that E10 is more Hygroscopic due to the increased Ethanol content,our car usage can be quite sporadic depending on the weather so I decided that E10 is perhaps not the best fuel to be sitting in the tank for weeks on end (sometimes).
Also Ethanol is a solvent and so therefore it is probably harsher on fuel system seals and hoses.

Reactions: Phil in Wales

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,386 Posts
I'm not a believer in the 'supermarket petrol is rubbish' theory because it isn't in my experience. But since E10 has been available I have noticed that my 1.0 gtdi turbo engine does not like it very much. It's slightly harder to start, has a lumpy idle when cold, and does not accelerate as smoothly. I always fill up the tank with Texaco fuel (I have a star rewards card) when almost on the orange light (Picanto's have a small tank) so just to experiment I alternate between E5 and E10. E5 results in no complaints from the engine, E10 makes the engine think I'm giving it cheap Aldi whiskey instead of Glenfiddich. I have a paid for 3 years service due in January (19.000 miles) so will mention it but I don't think the plugs are changed so I can't see much changing.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Glenfiddich
Other far nicer Malts are available Phil :cool:
I know it is personal taste but I just do not like the smell of Glenfiddich.
If people ask me what my favourite Malt is - I usually say ''whatever is on special offer'' :) (to paraphrase an old advert - ''will ye no be having a sale'')

·
Registered
180 Posts
Let's not forget the 'Muricans have been using E10 for years. Having said that I owned one of the only cars in the UK that you couldn't put E10 in so after a few tankfulls with the more expensive stuff I bought a Soul Diesel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice to see all the different responses. I'm running my GT on Michelin cross climates at the moment and have not changed tyres since the fuel change. I have noticed a drop off in economy though. I'm tempted to try and get it to nearly empty and give it a tank or two of premium and see how it fairs.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
973 Posts
I'm on CrossClimates too, naughty_vicar! (y)

I'm keeping an eye on the figures, as always. Currently I have 99RON in the tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone noticed any difference with the new petrol? I've seemed to have had an mpg drop but was wondering if anyone else has noticed anything with the GT

Hi

I have a Niro 3 M-HEV 2018 was getting an average 59 MPG (e.g 55-64 plus the odd 75 MPG) and since the intruduction of E10 petrol I noticed a drop to about 50 MPG (45-55 MPG) but it also co-insides with the drop in temperature and the use of heated seats etc.. It has been suggested that it is the additional use of heated seats etc that is the reason for the drop and I am not sure what the cause is. I left the heating off and there did seem to be an improvement but as I drove to work averaging 30 MPH due to fog I am still un-sure what the cause is. I therefore intend to monitor over the next few weeks by leaving the heating off and noting the amount off fuel used and the mileage covered. I also intend to try some of the more expensive branded petrol and see what difference that may make but this is going to take months before I have a definitive answer, I hope. Will up date once I have the info.

Regards

1 - 20 of 42 Posts