Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking to see if anyone has experience of the above. I have a E-Niro 3 and took delivery in November and done less than 3k miles. The car was delivered from 300 miles away and on the way home I noticed a grating noise when breaking at low speeds.

The car was in the dealership a few times and the leasing company finally agreed that the rear discs and pads needed replacing as were corroded.

Since this was done the car still makes the same noise when braking at slow speeds and there is a noticeable pinch and dry squeak and bite from the brakes when coming to a full stop.
I’ve had the car in a dealership today and they said couldn’t hear anything on a test drive.
I asked the service manager to accompany me on a test drive, when he heard the noise which previously they said there wasn’t one the reply was “they all do that” as it’s so silent you hear the brakes where on a diesel or petrol you wouldn’t 😂

I asked have you one in so I can test that there wasn’t a car available.
So my question is do all E-Niro’s suffer from grating brakes at low speeds and squeak?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Could this be as simple as corrosion on the rotors?
I've noticed mine does it first thing in the morning but luckily I've got to go downhill soon after starting so it soon disappears

·
Registered
147 Posts
Breaking noise or braking noise?

Is it the regeneration generators kicking in?

·
Registered
107 Posts
So my question is do all E-Niro’s suffer from grating brakes at low speeds and squeak?
My PHEV does, certainly. Personally I put it down to the fact that with regenerative braking, the brakes themselves don't really get used that much, I suspect only really for the very last part of coming to a complete stop, so the discs and pads never get a real chance to bed in properly.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Very common with electric cars, brake hard when ever you get a chance, down hills for example.
Try and dry off the disks by braking prior to parking overnight. Avoid leaving the car parked for days with wet disks. This will delay the corrosion on disks and drums but not prevent it.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Squeak may just want some copper slip on the back of the pads. Or if it was not new when you got it, it make be missing a shim or such.

As above give it some really hard braking over a few days. May just need to clear the pads & disks of rust.
As we all know disks do get surface rusting that gets cleared off when braking, but if not getting much use, that is going to build up on the pads.

If you feel brave & bored. Then jack car up, get the wheels off and have a look at pads & disks. Maybe even pull pads out and give them a good rough up with some emery cloth/sandpaper. Just remember a mask...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts