Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read plenty on the Forum but none seem to answer my specific queries -
1) Is it safe & legal to use a 16" spare wheel on my car fitted with 17" wheels ? I realise it would be for emergency use with 50mph restrictions, but has got to be a better solution than the gunk kit provided.
2) Will a full size (ie, 17") wheel fit into the boot moulded recess ? If not I just hope the 16" space saver wheel will be OK .
I have contacted my dealer who were unsure whether the 16" wheel in their Accessory List is suitable for the E Niro, thinking it might only be for the Hybrid variants - they've emailed Kia on their network, but said the answer might take some time !

·
Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
60 Posts
I would imagine the rolling circumference would need to be the same so depends what tyre you fit, but given that the overall diameter would need to be the equivalent of a 17" why not just get a 17" wheel.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Best way is to find the size of the tyre on the 16" space saver wheel. Then compare that to your tyre size.

When I do this for my 225-45/18 & compare to the 205-60/16. The difference is 9 revs per mile, or 0.6 mph @ 50mph.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
All space savers are of smaller overall diameter than the standard wheel.

When I was running my Sporty on a space saver it seemed to me that the car somehow detected this and simply ran out of go approaching 50 mph (which is a good thing). If there is an approved space saver for your vehicle then that would be the sensible thing to fit. I share your scorn for the goo kit for two reasons - firstly there is the possibility that it does not seal and re-inflate the tyre because of more than a small nail hole and secondly I have concerns about the effect that goo has on both the tyre and the TPMS sensor. At least with a space saver you know you can get rolling again. Why not ask your dealer about the KIA fit space saver? You do not have to purchase it there as long as you knpw what the size is. Don't forget that you will also need a jack and wheeelbrace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've read plenty on the Forum but none seem to answer my specific queries -
1) Is it safe & legal to use a 16" spare wheel on my car fitted with 17" wheels ? I realise it would be for emergency use with 50mph restrictions, but has got to be a better solution than the gunk kit provided.
2) Will a full size (ie, 17") wheel fit into the boot moulded recess ? If not I just hope the 16" space saver wheel will be OK .
I have contacted my dealer who were unsure whether the 16" wheel in their Accessory List is suitable for the E Niro, thinking it might only be for the Hybrid variants - they've emailed Kia on their network, but said the answer might take some time !
Hi, I can confirm that a 17" wheel will fit into your spare wheel well. Bought an alloy for £145ish from KIA. You will need to take out the plastic trim around it but it will go back in place no problem. Only takes a couple of minutes and there is a phillips screwdriver in the KIA toolkit. I made a bracket to secure the wheel as there is some movement when it is in place. I put some foam in the bottom of the wheel well to stop this.
Can't say for 100% about using a 16" wheel but I think it is ok in an emergency.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dealership phoned today having emailed Kia for advice - Kia have stated that they do NOT recommend a spare wheel for the E Niro for a number of reasons, the main one being there are no jacking points on the E Niro, therefore the removal of a wheel involves a 4 point lift ( like a garage ramp) ! If a normal jack is used they state there is a danger of puncturing the floorpan housing the High Power Battery, with disastrous (expensive !!) consequences. I wonder how many users are aware of this ? Only the fully electric Niro's are affected, the hybrids are OK apparently, obviously must have jacking points. I must admit, I'm very disappointed by this - if I get a puncture I'll give the problem to the breakdown services & just hope a garage is open !!

·
Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
60 Posts
I find that unbelievable that a car is manufactured without any jacking points! If that is the case it would probably have changed my buying decision! On thinking about this many garages lift cars with swinging arms that lift the car, surely it must therefore have some 'strong' points to do this.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
There re jacking points..

This guy is a ADI and has one.
His vlogs are a bit tedious and he goes into far too much details at times. But this video shows it can be done.

So it is really up to you if you want to get a spare (he has done another video, as he has full size wheel in the boot)

Reactions: Turnup

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a million iooi, very interesting & informative. I reckon my best bet is to get a full size spare, adapt the wheel well as shown, & not bother with the jack, leaving the lifting to Kia Assist. That way at least I'd be able to drive to a proper tyre garage ( when open if it's at night) and let them use their 4 point lift as per the 2nd clip. Kia Assist would hopefully know of the jacking point problem, & have either a compressed air balloon type of lifter or at the very least, a spreader plate to ensure even distribution of a jacking tool they use. Ken Gillam - totally agree that it's unbelievable to sell a car without any safe jacking points, made even worse by Kia not highlighting the fact. The manual makes no mention whatever of changing a wheel, just concentrating on the gunk "solution". Anyway, off now to search for a full size spare !

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
What I have done in the past is used a jack, but not on the sil, find a suitable point under the car. Usually somewhere round a wheel where there is a flat point.

I can see it from Kia's point of view. There will always be some numpty who will place the jack on the battery pack, or have it slip off the sil and puncture the battery. Which I dread to think of what that may cause damage wise.
High voltage battery with a lump of metal stuck in it... idiot grabs jack.... Or if it does not hit the actual battery will leave it open to spray etc....

Far better to say it has to be done this way, and if anyone does it otherwise it is their fault.

Just remember Kia assist is just the RAC and all they will do is transport you to a garage to swop the wheel, so nights & weekends could leave you stuck again even with a spare. As I would doubt that they carry air jacks as std. More likely to just be a trolly jack.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If a "lump of metal" punctures the lithium battery as you describe it'll cause a rather spectacular jet of fire in most cases so no need to "grab jack" :) There's lots of examples online...

One day people will marvel at how stupid/brave we were to walk around with potential flamethrowers (mobile phones) next to our genitals. That's if the microwave radiation from the phone hasn't sterilised us first ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
There re jacking points..

This guy is a ADI and has one.
His vlogs are a bit tedious and he goes into far too much details at times. But this video shows it can be done.

So it is really up to you if you want to get a spare (he has done another video, as he has full size wheel in the boot)
I assume that he uses the torque loading of up to shear and back a quarter :unsure: Only kidding? With the adapter it would be better to get a speed brace really, then it would take a lot less than 65 seconds to jack it up or down.

I have to admit that I have thought about the gunge repair kit and bought a 'get you home' spare for our Citroën C4 Picasso as that didn't have a spare. Does anyone know if the 'gunge' stops the tyre being repaired if it would normally be possible to do so?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I assume that he uses the torque loading of up to shear and back a quarter :unsure: Only kidding? With the adapter it would be better to get a speed brace really, then it would take a lot less than 65 seconds to jack it up or down.

I have to admit that I have thought about the gunge repair kit and bought a 'get you home' spare for our Citroën C4 Picasso as that didn't have a spare. Does anyone know if the 'gunge' stops the tyre being repaired if it would normally be possible to do so?
AFAIK sometime yes and sometimes no. It seems some tyre bays will just thorw their hands up at repairing a gunge job and others can sometimes save it. Of course sometimes a conventional puncture cannt be safely repaired either but at least the TPMS sensor is safe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you Turnup. I realise that not all punctures can be repaired. The main reason for my liking of the spare is that we had a tyre that had the wall ripped by a rock that had fallen into the road and all that gunge would have done was to make a mess on the road! Hire care with a get you home spare, but it worked.

·
Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
60 Posts
Had to use the emergency spare on my Merc once when the sidewall split, changed in about 10 mins, worse part was unloading all the guitar gear at the side of the motorway, at least it wasn't smart back then. I must admit I feel happier with some kind of round thing in the boot. Has anyone fitted run flats?

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Does anyone know if the 'gunge' stops the tyre being repaired if it would normally be possible to do so?
It can do..

But advise is if you do have to use it and it works...
TELL THE FITTER. Before they start. They are not best impressed when the gunk sprays all over them :mad:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have not had run flats on any car, but I had Tyron wheel bands on all 3 wheels on both of our caravans. They gave me a great deal of confidence when towing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I phoned Kia Assist & the RAC today & was assured that the patrols WOULD be able to lift the e Niro safely at the roadside to change the wheel, having attended many puncture breakdowns on various electric cars - they know the problems but "have the means". With that reassurance I ordered a full size spare wheel and a Frunk, delivery next week, not bothering with the jacking kit because I don't intend using it ! The Frunk will take much of the stuff I currently keep under the boot floor, & with the benefit of seeing the You Tube clips I hopefully will now be able to drive around with the "insurance" of a spare wheel that CAN be changed at the roadside ( even if it's not by me !)

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK, I know that I'm going to regret this, but what the flock is a frunk :unsure: :unsure: ?

And would it be a possibility on a Niro PHEV2? As from what I have done a DuckDuckGo search on it seems to be a forward boot, the same sort of thing I had in the late 60s on my VW Variant. But the engine was in the back of that lovely car.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
OK, I know that I'm going to regret this, but what the flock is a frunk :unsure: :unsure: ?

And would it be a possibility on a Niro PHEV2? As from what I have done a DuckDuckGo search on it seems to be a forward boot, the same sort of thing I had in the late 60s on my VW Variant. But the engine was in the back of that lovely car.
Front Trunk..

A storage box that fits over the Electric motor.

Best use ever seen was by a guy that does a lot of EV tests. He was driving a Mustang Mach-e. Which has a drain plug in it. So given he was in Norway and wanted to keep some drinks cool. He loaded a load of snow in it, put the drinks in. Hours later snow was still there & drinks were as you expect perfectly chilled.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts