Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just purchased a 2020 e-niro 4+ and it appears that if I am driving forward into the parking space in front of my garage, the front parking sensors need to be turned on manually - surely this can’t be right? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
AFAIK this is normal on all KIAs. It avoids the annoying beeping when at junctions/tfc lights caused by the car in front, crossing traffic, pedestrians. Turn it on in town and see what I mean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - pedestrians setting off the beeping is not as annoying as bumping into the wall I park in front of! 😱

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
2,034 Posts
That's how it works on my Sportage and also how it worked on most my previous vehicles. I can't see how it would know when to switch on, unless it was always on, or came on below certain speeds, which would probably drive me up the wall. It is worth noting when I put the car into reverse the front and rear sensors activate, along with the reversing camera.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Skoda Superb automatically switches the sensors on below 10 mph so the technology is there, I will have to remember when I get my 4+ 3rd March

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep - I don’t think it’s unusual - my previous Honda had it as standard - it only came on when you were within about 60cm of something - pretty close, so only non-parking scenarios were when someone walked in front when in a jam. It’s a bit disappointing - the e-Niro can drive itself (smart cruise control) but won‘t tell you when you’re about to bump into a wall when parking forwards.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
KIA assume you are looking through the windscreen when parking close to something.

I had two Hyundai i30's in which the front sensors were on when the engine was running. It was a nuisance when driving down narrow lanes with hedges each side and grass growing in the middle.

I prefer the KIA modus operandi - you can switch the front sensors on when needed as you drive forward to park.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
KIA assume you are looking through the windscreen when parking close to something.

<SNIP>
What a chore it is to have to look out all the time when you are driving. If a driver cannot avoid the wall right in front of them without beeps what hope on the motorway?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems that the function is designed so that morons who tailgate aren’t irritated by beeping warning them they are too close to the car in front. Why bother having parking sensors as a feature at all if they’re not always on? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
5,889 Posts
It seems that the function is designed so that morons who tailgate aren’t irritated by beeping warning them they are too close to the car in front. Why bother having parking sensors as a feature at all if they’re not always on? :unsure:
I guess the reason they are not on all the time is that you are not parking all the time :sneaky:

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Banned
5,227 Posts

Why bother to have headlights or turn signals or or windscreen washers if they are not always on?. They are there to be used when you need them. It is such a pain to have to do things like press a button or turn a knob to operate your car.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Why bother to have headlights or turn signals or or windscreen washers if they are not always on?. They are there to be used when you need them. It is such a pain to have to do things like press a button or turn a knob to operate your car.
I'm trying to work out whether that last sentence is sarcasm or stupidity!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I read his response several times and couldn't work it out, as I said. If I got the wrong idea then I'm sorry.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
Read the whole thread and particularly post #1 and my other responses. I see a series of posts as an on-going dialogue and individual posts should not be read out of context.

·
Super Moderator
5,889 Posts
Ok.
Me included.
Can we stay on topic & avoid the sarcasm please. (y)

I think to many users, Kia's on & off choices of various facilities we have available to us leave a bit to be desired.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
e-Niro 4+ 2020
27 Posts
I’ve just purchased a 2020 e-niro 4+ and it appears that if I am driving forward into the parking space in front of my garage, the front parking sensors need to be turned on manually - surely this can’t be right? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.
The front sensors on the e-Niro turn on automatically once you have put the car into reverse, otherwise you have to press the button to turn on manually.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My Skoda Superb automatically switches the sensors on below 10 mph so the technology is there, I will have to remember when I get my 4+ 3rd March
1st Superb did not have front sensors but the current one does. Agree with the above that they probably come on below a certain speed but you do have to be pretty close as well. Saves having to remember to turn them on, how embarrassing would that be if you forgot and expected them to work especially in a tight garage. Pretty sure the sensors are only on the corners as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1st Superb did not have front sensors but the current one does. Agree with the above that they probably come on below a certain speed but you do have to be pretty close as well. Saves having to remember to turn them on, how embarrassing would that be if you forgot and expected them to work especially in a tight garage. Pretty sure the sensors are only on the corners as well.
Yes the Skoda has them on the side of the bumpers as well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts