Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia E-Niro
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new EV and very pleased with it. I understood that I can connect the Kia e-Niro to a WIFI network (see for example this generic video from Kia
) but I can't see it on any of the screens in my e-Niro. I know the car has a Mobile Data Card as I have Uvo working fine, although we do have weak mobile signal at home so I thought WiFI was the way forward. Any info?

Related question - are software downloads only delivered by dealers during servicing or can you do that over the internet like Tesla?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you have UVO, It works without a Wi-fi connection. I bought a new Picanto 3 in October and have spent some time investigating the disappearance of the Wi-fi connection. The answer was that Kia live and Connected Services no longer require Wi-fi. You will find similar answers around this forum.
I have had fairly limited usage but can confirm that road works and speed camas are showing on maps without the connected smart phone.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
As above if you have UVO, then you do not need a WiFi connection as you have a Sim card installed to pick up data for Kia Live.

Reactions: darrwest

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too found the video misleading. It looks as though they decided the appalling Vodafone 4G signal in the UK was sufficient to keep the Kia owners happy and we don't need a WiFi connection.

Unfortunately, I live in a rural area and the car can only connect to Uvo Connect when I am at least a mile away from home.

I have no idea why they decided that the WiFi connection option was not required in the UK. Although Vodafone claim 99% coverage across the UK for 4G, the signal is either too weak or non-existant in many rural areas.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
I think the above is a US video. And they do seem to have different software.

TBH, the vast range of Kia software versions (not age related) is strange. We have users who have 2021 Rio's that have Wireless Apple car play & Android Auto, yet here we are and do not.
You would think that one software version on the head units would be enough to manage, without having a hybrid of different version. Which you can never get a clear answer form your dealer on as to which is the latest.

From the below pic think you can disable the UVO and that may allow you to use WiFi connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It does seem strange that there are so many different versions of the basic software, my UVO head unit (e-Niro 2021) does not even have a WiFi option on the left hand side.

The only videos I can find appear to be US versions which is all very misleading.

·
Registered
2021 Kia E-Niro
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I too found the video misleading. It looks as though they decided the appalling Vodafone 4G signal in the UK was sufficient to keep the Kia owners happy and we don't need a WiFi connection.

Unfortunately, I live in a rural area and the car can only connect to Uvo Connect when I am at least a mile away from home.

I have no idea why they decided that the WiFi connection option was not required in the UK. Although Vodafone claim 99% coverage across the UK for 4G, the signal is either too weak or non-existant in many rural areas.
Thank RWAP, me too, I live in a rural area. I can communicate with the Kia over mobile using UVO app but I am worried the signal might not be great all the time. Hopefully Kia will add that option back in for future updates.

·
Registered
2021 Kia E-Niro
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have UVO, It works without a Wi-fi connection. I bought a new Picanto 3 in October and have spent some time investigating the disappearance of the Wi-fi connection. The answer was that Kia live and Connected Services no longer require Wi-fi. You will find similar answers around this forum.
I have had fairly limited usage but can confirm that road works and speed camas are showing on maps without the connected smart phone.
Agreed, speed limits and traffic alerts all working fine on the in-car-SIM when I am out and about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts