Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of the first e-niros in the UK in April 2019

Generally very happy with the car but we went out to the car about 6 weeks ago and the 12v battery was completely dead.

I think on later models there may be a way round this, but this doesn't appear to be on our car. Breakdown people came out and put enough charge in it to get me to the Kia garage. They said there was no problem with it.

This last weekend it's happened again. This time the breakdown people transported it to the Kia garage. The garage are saying the reading light was on, but I can categorically sy this wasn't the case.

Is anyone else having problems like this?

Thanks

·
Registered
Niro DL, 2020, UVO
80 Posts
If you have Keyless then do not leave the key in your house near the car, otherwise a permanent communication is done,
check, if the tailgate is closing correct.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you have Keyless then do not leave the key in your house near the car, otherwise a permanent communication is done,
check, if the tailgate is closing correct.
now that's interesting. lots of cars in my street getting turned over without force entry and people are taking to keeping their keys in metal boxes overnight. Do you know if this permanent link is common and how close will the key need to be? Will that communication link affect car security too do you think? How far away is far enough? thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
141 Posts
now that's interesting. lots of cars in my street getting turned over without force entry and people are taking to keeping their keys in metal boxes overnight. Do you know if this permanent link is common and how close will the key need to be? Will that communication link affect car security too do you think? How far away is far enough? thanks
I keep my keys in a tin box just to be sure, seen too many videos of relay thefts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
2,190 Posts
I keep my keys in a tin box just to be sure, seen too many videos of relay thefts
I have keyless fob and did some experiments. Firstly our Kia dealer supplied a Faraday pouch with the car, which works okay - except it only works if the fob is inside with the flap closed, if your fob is on a key ring it isn't going to work.
Next I tried putting my keys in a small tin box, closed the lid and walked up to the car while my wife tried unlocking the car, which unlocked when I was stood about half a meter from the rear of the car. I then lined the box with kitchen foil, but that made little difference.
Finally I crumpled up the kitchen foil and lined the tin with it. With the both fobs inside and the tin lid close I had the tin right up against the door handle and it stayed locked. It wasn't until I opened the tin lid that it unlocked. The only issue with this method is the foil tends to smooth out and tear through use, so I replace it every few months.
The tin is big enough to hold two key rings, with the fobs and is kept as far from the car as we can.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
63 Posts
Apparently some manufacturers have a simple motion sensor inside the key, so if it has been laid down on a fixed surface it goes into a deeper sleep and won't wake up because of any RF signals from the car or thieves attempting an RF relay attack. It also has the benefit of meaning the battery in the key is likely to last a bit longer.
You could put the key in plain sight on a table 3 cm from the car door and it should be inert. Likewise you could hang it up just inside your front door and no relay attack should work.

Sorry - this key thing is a distraction from trying to work out the vampire drain of 12V battery juice. The Andrew Till / Mr EV Youtube videos (already mentioned) may help if you have to get technical with seeing when the battery volts droop from having some load when you are not in the car.
Obviously the suspicion is something staying on or randomly coming on.
Does your era of e-Niro have the 12V aux battery saver+ function and is it enabled? (I don't have an e-Niro, I'm waiting on a Soul, but I've been reading the manuals! Soul arrives in a couple of weeks)
Page 60 of this manual on ManualsLib
God knows why Kia don't just put the manuals online for our cars - I've been contacting KCS recently and it's like pulling teeth. Apparently there isn't a PDF user manual for the UK Soul EV First Edition. I like a PDF for the ability to search the text (and read before purchase and delivery)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I had the 12 volt drain problem car let me down after being not driven for 3 day's I had bought 12 volt jump starter has advised on Mr EV YouTube video . That got me going . Then dealer had car for 3 day's and said media unit was draining 12 volt battery. Waited for 2/3 weeks for replacent been okay since.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My dealer had my E Niro for a day to try & discover the reason for my battery drain ( car had been left for 4 days, 12v battery went down to 3 volts!).They found NO problem whatsoever !
I check my battery reading daily now - it fluctuates between 12.25 & 12.83 volts although averages around 12.53v. I rang the dealers with the readings who seemed to think the fluctuation was normal, within the bounds of acceptability - I was also told that during the investigation on my car "a software update was probably made" - not sure if that's a "porky pie" to fob me off, although I've not experienced any problems since !

·
Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro
141 Posts
I assume you have the battery maintenance ticked. The car then seems to top up the 12V every so often. I noticed the green charging light was on one evening when the ca wasn't plugged in, apparently this was it doing it's 12v battery top up thing, noticed it again a couple of nights ago.

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts
My dealer had my E Niro for a day to try & discover the reason for my battery drain ( car had been left for 4 days, 12v battery went down to 3 volts!).They found NO problem whatsoever !
I check my battery reading daily now - it fluctuates between 12.25 & 12.83 volts although averages around 12.53v. I rang the dealers with the readings who seemed to think the fluctuation was normal, within the bounds of acceptability - I was also told that during the investigation on my car "a software update was probably made" - not sure if that's a "porky pie" to fob me off, although I've not experienced any problems since !
Seems pretty good.
As a EV owner you will have a good idea how temperature has a effect on your battery. So the above figures could be due to temp changes & how long after running car.

Seems between 12.4 & 12.8 is a battery in good shape.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the replies - Ken G, what's the "battery maintenance" I should have ticked ? The nearest I can find is "12v Aux Battery Saver" which was already ticked.
iooi - thanks for the confirmation re the battery readings, hopefully that'll give me the confidence to trust it again !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An update on this. My 12v battery on the e-niro first failed on 2nd March. This was when it was just under 2 years old. The garage said there was no fault, something must have been left on. Since then it has failed a further 3 or 4 times. Finally the garage have diagnosed a fault with the battery and replaced it. However, they said that because the battery was more than 2 years old it could not be done under guarantee and that I would have to pay for it. I kicked up about it, but they said they had found no fault with it previously. I called Kia customer service (I got through straight away which amazed me). At first they were defensive, but when I argued that the battery was obviously faulty before it was 2 years old they should replace it under warranty. They then said they'd call the garage. After a wait of 3 days, the garage said "they'd argued my case with Kia" and it was replaced for free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts