Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Picanto 3 my21
57 Posts
Had a run of 160 miles today. This was my first use of E10 fuel. The trip was about half on motorways or dual carriageway. Averaged 59 mpg, so not much sign of diminished performance with this fuel. On motorways I have been getting about 56 at a steady 70 mph, so the higher figure due to half the trip on roads with mostly a 60mph
limit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I didn't realise that the E10 fuel was coming in so soon. I have been filling up with the dearer unleaded with this car and my previous one but needed petrol the other day so needed to buy at the station I pulled up at (an Asda) and the only option was E10. I haven't seen any difference in performance. I didn't think that I would be buying it so soon though. I had only read about it recently

·
Registered
251 Posts
In theory E10 should be producing about 5% worse fuel consumption and about 8% more CO2/km than E5 but this seems to be highly dependent upon specific engine types.

Would be helpful if people had a look at their handbook/manual and stated the engine type they have.

I'd be exceptionally surprised if anyone is actually getting better fuel consumption with E10 rather than E5 on a non-hybrid car.

·
Registered
2020 Picanto 3 my21
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine 1lt DPi ISG
No doubt time will tell how performance shapes up but there was certainly no loss of performance in this hot weather with air con turned on. Pleased to see others have similar results. I fully understand the theory since I was afuel technologist once in a working life.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had a run of 160 miles today. This was my first use of E10 fuel. The trip was about half on motorways or dual carriageway. Averaged 59 mpg, so not much sign of diminished performance with this fuel. On motorways I have been getting about 56 at a steady 70 mph, so the higher figure due to half the trip on roads with mostly a 60mph
limit.
Engine 1lt DPi ISG
No doubt time will tell how performance shapes up but there was certainly no loss of performance in this hot weather with air con turned on. Pleased to see others have similar results. I fully understand the theory since I was afuel technologist once in a working life.
I've used E10 whenever driving in France for years without noticing any difference.

·
Registered
190 Posts
E10 means 10% alcohol. The alcohol is not a fossil fuel, it's made by fermentation and is thus classified as a renewable resource. IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Yes I know that. But if it makes the average car engine more polluting why are we using it?

The environmental impact of producing ethanol is much lower than petrol. E10 also produces lower emissions in the car. Ethanol is about 35% oxygen and burns cleaner than petrol. E10 fuel has been found to reduce the emissions of fuel by up to 30%.

E10 also produces lower emissions in the car. Ethanol is about 35% oxygen and burns cleaner than petrol. E10 fuel has been found to reduce the emissions of fuel by up to 30%.

·
Registered
251 Posts
So Vestas statement is wrong?
No. E10 fuel will emit more CO2 than E5. That's a statement of fact.

The theory behind bio-ethanol having "lower emissions" is that you are using fuel which comes from plants grown now rather than in the time of the dinosaurs (oil/gas/coal). As such the plants have absorbed CO2 during growth - CO2 that's in the atmosphere now rather than millions of years ago.

So for example if E10 causes 8% more CO2 but the plants have absorbed most of that CO2 during growth then its only a very small net increase. In addition you haven't used 5% of fuel from the dinosaur era so you've "saved" the emissions from there.

Its the same rationale used to justify wood-burning stoves/heaters - which in the case of stoves/heaters is complete bollox due to particulate emissions.

Basically its all about trying not to release CO2 which is "locked-up" in material which comes from millions of years ago.

It'd be a rational plan if the world's agriculture wasn't already being severely affected by climate change/population growth and famines/starvation weren't an everyday event.

Also (IMHO) we're way past the stage where small changes like this will have any measurable effect on climate.

YMMV of course.

Edit - arguably a better plan to use wood is to build houses with it. That locks up the carbon for decades/centuries and also saves the CO2 generated in brick/concrete production. More money in it for landowners if you burn it though - as always, follow the money....

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Interesting find.
Seems that E10 is not yet sold. Seems it is from Sept 2021 in England. Just that petrol co's are changing the stickers on the pumps.. Very naughty....

@Vestas Source of the statement of fact?

·
Registered
947 Posts
No. E10 fuel will emit more CO2 than E5. That's a statement of fact.
Based on what? Are you calculating that a nominal loss in efficiency will negate any emissions reduction? It's just everything I've read, admittedly more skimmed through, declares that E10 releases less co2. Various factors apply and some comparisons are unclear but it all agrees that there will be a reduction in co2 coming from the exhaust.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
So why is it being sold in these environmentally conscious days?
In theory it is supposed to be better for the environment so mandating E10 means governments can claim to be doing 'something' ANYTHING!!

The truth is harder to evaluate and well beyond my brain or interest level. On the one hand it is supposed to be better for CO2 emissions but I've not seen this quantified other than some broad brush statements. In theory Bio alcohol is a renewable so any CO2 produced using it will be absorbed by crops grown to produce it rather than using oil that absorbed CO2 millions of years ago making oil a net producer of CO2 and bio CO2 neutral. However, its unlikely that the crops grown absorb all of the CO2 produced and it doesn't take into account the CO2 impact of producing the bio alcohol, fermentation which produces CO2, the CO2 impact of agriculture and transport let alone deforestation to make room to grow the crops needed to produce it. On a small scale and while we are using plant waste to produce bio its easy to make a case but as we move to 80%+ bio its difficult to see where we will grow the plants needed as we already can't feed the world population effectively.

Then there's the efficiency of the fuel, it doesn't really matter which statistic you take as they are all flawed but bio is less efficient than oil so any gain must be factored by how less efficient the fuel is, just to explain, if E10 produces 10% less CO2 but is 90% efficient that's just a 9% improvement, only a small difference but part of the argument is that small changes make a big difference.

As to whether there will be an actual ecological benefit probably depends on whether you are an eco warrior, a politician, an environmental economist or are of an age where you now feel this is someone else's problem 🤣

Disclaimer - This is just my personal view :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
according to the RAC, 24% of motorists are unaware of it, while 27% do not know if their car is compatible.
I guess the 24% have not visited a petrol station in the last month & the 27% drive diesels 😂

Makes you wonder how we managed the change from Leaded to UnLeaded 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
799 Posts
I chickened out of using E10 for the first time a couple of days ago for our 'other' car (2005 Vitara) - according to our owners manual E10 is ok to use but I have seen mentions of the fact that the E10 fuel is not so stable in storage,our use of cars can be quite sporadic depending on wind and weather etc so decided to buy some more expensive E5 super duper until I see more real world info.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I chickened out of using E10 for the first time a couple of days ago for our 'other' car (2005 Vitara) - according to our owners manual E10 is ok to use but I have seen mentions of the fact that the E10 fuel is not so stable in storage,our use of cars can be quite sporadic depending on wind and weather etc so decided to buy some more expensive E5 super duper until I see more real world info.
I haven't needed to fill up yet this week but I noticed last week there is an E5 and an E10 sticker adjacent to the fuel cap, so I guess it should be OK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
My petrol mower and petrol chain saw arnt mentioned, I wonder if I will have to use Super Unleaded, if I do will i get the jobs done faster 😂

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
I haven't needed to fill up yet this week but I noticed last week there is an E5 and an E10 sticker adjacent to the fuel cap, so I guess it should be OK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes our cars are ok but I've decided to use Super Unleaded because I've read E10 is about 5% less economical, so I think i might as well pay a bit more, get better fuel economy and have the benefits of the cleaner fuel

1 - 20 of 78 Posts