Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had our Kia Niro self charging Hybrid for about a month now. Please can someone explain to me the difference between "Economical, Normal, and Dynamic" in the Driving Style menu?
So far, we've never seen anything recorded next to "Dynamic"

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
4,113 Posts
Had our Kia Niro self charging Hybrid for about a month now. Please can someone explain to me the difference between "Economical, Normal, and Dynamic" in the Driving Style menu?
So far, we've never seen anything recorded next to "Dynamic"
You have a heavy right foot by the sound of things!
"Normal" I take to mean that you are driving moderately briskly but not rushing around, whereas "Economical" is when you take your time and don't accelerate hard (some may say it's granny style...). "Dynamic" I leave to the boy-racers among us - being first away from the lights.....

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
Dynamic is when you get into the far right of the power area & you have a heavy right foot... Eg getting a shift on.

Eco is keeping it in the eco range.
Normal is just that driving sensibly.

TBH. Just drive as you want too. It's just another gimmick, like the gear change indicator on some Kia's They really mean nothing other than the more you spend in Eco, the better your mpg will be. But you know that already.

Last time I looked (long time ago) I think there was 1% Dynamic. Must have been previous owner 🤣

Steering part Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. To be honest I'm not sure I'm actually saving any money on fuel. Even when I'm running on EV, the miles till refuelling still goes down. I wasn't expecting that.

·
Registered
2020 Niro "2" HEV
132 Posts
If you have the self-charging hybrid (like I do) you only have a 1.56KW battery. This means that the electric motor only assists the petrol engine usage, mainly when under light load, or going downhill. This means that you will get more miles per gallon than with a 100% petrol car. Prior to buying the Niro, I had a Cee'd which averaged around 38 to the gallon. My Niro averages almost 50 to the gallon, so the small traction battery allows an improvement of some 10mpg. Going back to your question, as previously stated, "Economical" is driving with cost efficiency at the fore, "Normal" is as it says, normal driving, and "Dynamic" is Pedal to the Metal and Go Like Hell! Mine is a "2" with a dial reporting the state of power, and I tend to keep within the "Eco" range, but sometimes go into the "Power" section. Also, when stationary the engine cuts out and does not restart until needed again, so trickling along in a traffic queue will (hopefully) only use battery power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that makes sense. Ours is the self-charging hybrid. We've been getting around 64 mpg so far. Our previous car was a Citroen DS4 and was around 38mpg so it is a vast improvement on that.
just got to get my head around the regenerative braking system now and the advantages (or not) of that.

·
Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro 4
302 Posts
On my E-Niro I'm using ECO mode and try to keep the Normal % down to 2-3%, Clarkson mode is always zero! I still like to get a move on though, it's all about anticipation and energy conservation avoid braking.

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
If you have the self-charging hybrid (like I do) you only have a 1.56KW battery. This means that the electric motor only assists the petrol engine usage, mainly when under light load, or going downhill. This means that you will get more miles per gallon than with a 100% petrol car. Prior to buying the Niro, I had a Cee'd which averaged around 38 to the gallon. My Niro averages almost 50 to the gallon, so the small traction battery allows an improvement of some 10mpg. Going back to your question, as previously stated, "Economical" is driving with cost efficiency at the fore, "Normal" is as it says, normal driving, and "Dynamic" is Pedal to the Metal and Go Like Hell! Mine is a "2" with a dial reporting the state of power, and I tend to keep within the "Eco" range, but sometimes go into the "Power" section. Also, when stationary the engine cuts out and does not restart until needed again, so trickling along in a traffic queue will (hopefully) only use battery power.
Sorry but that is wrong.
Niro HEV will run in EV mode (No ICE running) for a max of 3 miles. I often get to 2 miles in mine, once the Hybrid battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
4,113 Posts
Sorry but that is wrong.
Niro HEV will run in EV mode (No ICE running) for a max of 3 miles. I often get to 2 miles in mine, once the Hybrid battery is fully charged.
I agree; I regularly got 2-3 miles from my previous Niro HEV, but oinly after a lonnnnggg downhill section such as the drop from the top of the North Downs into my village. Nowadays it adds an extra couple of miles to the EV range in my PHEV.

Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
2020 Niro "2" HEV
132 Posts
Perhaps I did not word my post in the best manner. It is perfectly true that the HEV will run on battery alone, but it won't go far. I can drive along a particular road in one direction at 50mph on battery alone (provided that road and weather conditions are right) but in the opposite direction the engine invariably kicks in. The road seems pretty level, but obviously must have a gradient! It is the fact that the electric-only range is so limited that I used the expression "assists the petrol engine usage", and this has been misinterpreted.

Reactions: iooi

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
"assists the petrol engine usage", and this has been misinterpreted.

I took that as meaning like the MHEV's which will not drive under EV power only. (y)

No harm done. (y)

And not this was not all down hill 🤣
Shows what you can do, but the same trip has also given me 40mpg when it's colder.

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Plant

·
Registered
216 Posts
Doesn't it become 'dynamic' when you move the gear selector to 'sport' mode?

·
Registered
359 Posts
My self charger is getting around 74mpg at the moment but that drops in Winter to mid 60s. On a run, if I drive economically I can get it up to the low 80s. On freak trips such as my drive home from work on a hot day (nearly 11 miles) my record is 127mpg but over 100 is normal. (See the mpg just for giggles thread)! Have had the car now for 2 and a half years. I have never used 'sport' mode.

·
Registered
359 Posts
"assists the petrol engine usage", and this has been misinterpreted.

I took that as meaning like the MHEV's which will not drive under EV power only. (y)

No harm done. (y)

And not this was not all down hill 🤣
Shows what you can do, but the same trip has also given me 40mpg when it's colder.

View attachment 16174
I bet you have had that printed and framed!:p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow I must be doing well with a average of 63mpg then so I'm dead chuffed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts