Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the dashboard of the car it shows the range that the car will go at a certain moment, on the Kia Niro self charging, does this it include the electrical motor's range?
On the side mirrors there are warning lights, to make you aware when a car is overtaking, it works fine but if I remember well it made a sound too, is there any setting for this?

·
Registered
215 Posts
On the dashboard of the car it shows the range that the car will go at a certain moment, on the Kia Niro self charging, does this it include the electrical motor's range?
Considering that the range on just electric on the HEV is very low, I don't think it makes any difference.

On the side mirrors there are warning lights, to make you aware when a car is overtaking, it works fine but if I remember well it made a sound too, is there any setting for this?
No warning lights or sounds on mine!

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
Range is petrol only. As best you can get out of Hybrid battery is 2 to 3 miles. And there is a WARNING not to drive car when you run out of fuel.

I know stonic made a noise when blind spot was activated. Not sure if Niro does, but if it does it will be in the settings from the 2 pages on the steering wheel options.
Handbook 4-64 (y)

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, just wondered, because the battery charges every now and then, so I thought that the system cannot predict in advance the range. Going for a long drive 400 miles one way, I thought that it would be useful to know how accurate it is. In any case I never leave it to the last drop...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't know what type of journeys you are doing, but according to the display my battery is charging a lot of the time, and I quite regularly get a "recuperation not working" warning because the battery is fully charged on some journeys around here.

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
Thanks for the replies, just wondered, because the battery charges every now and then, so I thought that the system cannot predict in advance the range. Going for a long drive 400 miles one way, I thought that it would be useful to know how accurate it is. In any case I never leave it to the last drop...
The range is at best a guess.
Mine has gone from 300 when I picked car up, to over 500 now. As it is worked from average mpg & amount of fuel in tank.)
Use it as a guide & keep a eye on the actual fuel gauge (which will drop a lot faster once passed 1/2 way (y)

I once had a Peugeot 207CC where I could drive 50 miles & I would end up with 50 more miles on the range than when I started. Simply as it was a very fuel efficient route used.
At least the Kia one does not do that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It depends on the route, if I drive from Eindhoven (NL) to Overpelt (BE) I have to "climb up" 40m. Because the ways are very straight and in a good condition, I end up after 40km with 47 MPG, back to Eindhoven (same way) I end up with 55 MPG. Direction is from North to the South, so no wind from front or back.

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
It depends on the route, if I drive from Eindhoven (NL) to Overpelt (BE) I have to "climb up" 40m. Because the ways are very straight and in a good condition, I end up after 40km with 47 MPG, back to Eindhoven (same way) I end up with 55 MPG. Direction is from North to the South, so no wind from front or back.
Must be nice when 40m is a climb.

Local town to where we live means a 138m climb... Most of which is in a 1 mile stretch.
It is a trip I make a lot. So going is down hill. But to improve mpg I go on a 6 mile detour on the return trip. While the actual climb is the same. It makes a massive mpg difference as it a lot more relaxed climb. 😂

·
Registered
215 Posts
Must be nice when 40m is a climb.

Local town to where we live means a 138m climb... Most of which is in a 1 mile stretch.
It is a trip I make a lot. So going is down hill. But to improve mpg I go on a 6 mile detour on the return trip. While the actual climb is the same. It makes a massive mpg difference as it a lot more relaxed climb. 😂
Pah!!
You're not trying!! 🤣
Have a look at the route from here in Llanidloes to Machynlleth via Dylife and Forge.
Filmed in my Midget:
Highest point is 509 mts!

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
Pah!!
You're not trying!! 🤣
Have a look at the route from here in Llanidloes to Machynlleth via Dylife and Forge.

Highest point is 509 mts!

I knew you would beat me.... 🤦‍♂️😂

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
215 Posts
One of the joys of living in the middle of Wales!

Think that is the highest road in the area and I use it at least once a week. Just after the highest point is what is thought to be one of the greatest views in Wales, called the Winfred Vaughan-Thomas Viepoint and on a good day you can see Snowdon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funnily enough my long trip is to have a break in Wales, it is a long drive from north London. Normally in average I do about 20 miles a day, I never had the battery fully charged (always around the half+-), sorry I meant that it is not permanently charging, I do not think that there is a problem with the charging. The range on the display is about 500 miles when the tank is full and the consumption vary between 43 MPG to 53 MPG depends on the speed and the road condition.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Blimey, I did 120 miles just today and my consumption was 69 mpg, and I don't hang about!

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
Funnily enough my long trip is to have a break in Wales, it is a long drive from north London. Normally in average I do about 20 miles a day, I never had the battery fully charged (always around the half+-), sorry I meant that it is not permanently charging, I do not think that there is a problem with the charging. The range on the display is about 500 miles when the tank is full and the consumption vary between 43 MPG to 53 MPG depends on the speed and the road condition.
Never seen my HEV with a full battery. It always stops 1 bar short. But down hills are great for charging it to the max.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Agreed, always seem to leave one bar at the end, so I consider it full then and when the regeneration doesn't work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For the first time in 12 months of Niro ownership, I actually managed to get the battery fully charged last week :D

It was on a long stretch of downhill dual carriageway with a 40mph speed restriction so I had to use the regenerative breaking, and yes it was in Wales.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funny, I was in Wales and one of those long down hill rides got the buttery almost full. It seems that you have to drive in Wales to charge the battery...:D.
Something else, i had the impression that when using the crus control (i use it all the time to keep the right speed) it seems that the collision warning and breaking works intermittently, in the same road conditions, sometimes it will slowdown and almost stop and sometimes will not, it seems to be ok with keeping the distance. any thoughts?

·
Registered
248 Posts
The lane keeping does need the lines to be well marked. I had a problem with the collision thingy/distance setting and it turned out the radar receiver under the radiator grill had come loose. It was fixed under warranty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts