Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL, FIRST TIME DRIVING MY 2WD SPORTAGE IN THE SNOW AND TO BE HONNEST I HAVE TO SAY I AM DISAPPOINTED ALTHOUGH YES, IT WAS QUIT ICY THE CAR SEEMS TO HANDLE WORSE THAT THE 2005 ASTRA THAT WE HAVE JUST SOLD EVEN THOUGH THE SPORTAGE HAS ESP, TRACTION CONTROL AND BIGGER WHEELS. AM I THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE?

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's heavier and with a higher centre of gravity so, without AWD, your experience kind of makes sense.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
It's mostly down to the tyres. Get some decent winter tyres on it and you will get moving again. Not only that, you will also be able to stop and go round corners... AWD won't help you do that.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Technom I think you will find that the Dynamax AWD on the Sportage does help to go round corners.www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6q37mnJpu0

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Not if the tyres can't grip it won't. However, I'll concede that 4wd can help in certain situations as the the driving torque is shared between four wheels instead of two so the front should be less likely to break away.

Whether or not the 'Dynamax' system can react quickly or, more importantly, smoothly enough remains to be seen. It would be interesting to see the difference with Dynamax on against the transmission locked 50/50.

This is an interesting video too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdiF-BxPSH0

·
Registered
564 Posts
Watched the video above. Think I may change my First Edition 4wheel drive for a rear wheel drive instead. Anyone know where I can get one?
Edited by: Griffo

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
We drove down to the south of France and on to Spain last Christmas. We set off just as the first snow fell and closed all the airports. In total we must have driven at least 700 miles on snow covered roads in someappalling weather conditions. My car is a powerful rear wheel drive saloon with big 20" wheels and fat tyres but we had no dramas at all, although we saw all manner of vehicles crashed, crashing or stuck.

No matter how many wheels are driven, I think luck has a lot to do with incident free winter driving... along with dainty footwork. I also recently discovered that my car is fitted with m+s tyres which may have helped considerably.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Griffo said:
Watched the video above. Think I may change my First Edition 4wheel drive for a rear wheel drive instead. Anyone know where I can get one?

Well, that video seemed like the journalistic unscientific approach to me - it was NOT what all school-age children are taught is vital in such comparisons - "a fair test". "I'd rather have the rear wheel drive with traction control" is NOT a fair summary unless you tried the traction control or stability control or whatever on the others as well. I'd go for the AWD with stability control - in fact, I did!

In any case, if RWD is so marvellous, why is it you are always stuck behind a slithering Merc, BMW or Jag when trying to get up a snowy hill?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I live on an estate and half way up a slope. The rear wheel drive cars always suffer when the snow is compacted and like an ice rink. It is often amusing watching the BMW's from up the slope struggling to get past my road junction. I bought my 2010+ for this plus it's a nice looking motor.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well i have to say last winter my diesel FE didn't put a foot wrong through all the snow and ice we had, on one occasion the works car park was like an ice rink some cars were struggling to start off but the sportage started off no probs and got up the slope the car park is built on with no trouble, steering etc no probs either, obviously you drive to the conditions but the car inspired you with confidence in last winters weather so i have not got any complaints at all and the dynamax system seems to work very well

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Sid Rumpo said:
In any case, if RWD is so marvellous, why is it you are always stuck behind a slithering Merc, BMW or Jag when trying to get up a snowy hill?

Ironically, the closest I came to being stuck last winter was when I came up behind a slithering AWD RAV4 trying to climb a snowy hill. It was particularly annoying because it forced me to stop and then I had to do a hill start on compacted snow. The traction control was working overtime... although I have heard that it is best to turn the traction control off in snowy conditions. I'm not sure why. Can anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Lost of momentum. Although all it takes is a millisecond of wheel spin and your stuck. Rolling down the window to listen for the engine jumpin just the slightest helps as does soft footwear like trainers. Boots and high heals are a no no fellas!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tyre choice will be the key factor as others have said.

I'm not impressed with the Hankook Optimo tyres on my 1.7 '2'. Hankook make some decent SUV tyres but these aren't one of them. Dry grip is excellent but the wet grip is only fair/middling imho (plus with only 14k on the clock, the front tyres are about 60% worn already, so quite a soft tyre/or heavy front end).

We had a sprinkling of snow/ice at the weekend and did some hard braking tests in a side street and the ABS cut in quite quickly and the tyres didn't grip much at all but did stay in a straight line, no back end coming outand came to a stop fairly quickly). Compared to my last car (Renault Koleos 4x4), the traction is no where near as good and the Renault had Hankook's as well, but were a different model number....will have to lookup what tyres it had and get those ones.

I'm not too fussed about not having 4 wheel drive, I didn't get much benefit on normal car journies to work, only proved useful in some carparks on slopes where everyone else struggled and I didn't. Oh well, with no 4 wheel drive in my Kia looks like I'll be joining the rest of the "can't get it up" brigade

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. I have a Sedona and noticed this topic about snow ect.. I am purchasing from e bay 'snow socks' £35 - £45 inc postage, as I am Coastguard and these will get me to call outs. Easy to fit and use. There is a video demo clip on some showing use in proper snow. Hope helps.Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I saw a few people using snow socks in France. They seem to work well enough when they are used only on on snow but they don't last long on mixed snowy and cleared roads.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Folks, If you have the storage space and the ££££ then get yourself a set of winter wheels.
Saves the good looking alloys and summer tyres.

A winter tyre convert

Bob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had mine in visiting a neighbours in a new housing developmentand it was pure sheet ice about an half an ince thick sportage never budged around the corners and abs works very well on stopping due to the extra weight and fairly even all round braking, taking off was without a spin of any of the tyres and i was trying to get it to spin but not really pushing it due to the surface(didnt want to end up in somebodys garden) lol.
If drove with respect the awd sportage i believe will take you most places you need to go within reason as ive already tried mine on snow (fresh about an inch not baked) and i am really impressed with the awd system maybe more so than the 4 wheels locked mode.

·
Registered
52 Posts
stevegx said:
Hi. I have a Sedona and noticed this topic about snow ect.. I am purchasing from e bay 'snow socks' £35 - £45 inc postage, as I am Coastguard and these will get me to call outs. Easy to fit and use. There is a video demo clip on some showing use in proper snow. Hope helps.Steve Gx Blackpool
Snow socks are brilliant for grip i came over 6 miles of back mountain road last year back and forward to work in my connect when nobody else could use it in a 2 wheel drive, but be warned they have a short lifespan as mine wore out in 2 weeks prob due to the amount of frozen snow about

1 - 20 of 27 Posts