Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good cure for a failing electric drivers seat switch. For some time ours has been at best intermittent and recently stopped working altogether on most functions. As my wife & I are very different in height, I needed to get it fixed. Being horrified at having to fork out well over £100 for this little switch, I have come up with a good cure. Providing the fault is similar to mine, i.e. very intermittent, takes ages to function while fiddling with the switch, you can try this. Only one of my switches were working properly, now they are all like new.
The problem is dirty contacts in the switch. Hence the intermittent working. If you can move the seat forward, do so until the seat passes the door pillar. First remove the screws holding the plastic valance. (one back, one behind switch, one in front). Pull the valance away and forward (it will still be attached on the other side of the seat. Inside the valance at the front are two screws that hold the valance together. Remove these, and pull off the cable connector for the switch. You can now take out the valance complete with switch. It is important you do this next part on a bench and not in the car as you will most surely lose some small ball bearings. (more later). On the bench, lever off the two rocker switch covers and remover the two screws holding the switch. Place the switch on a clear part of the bench. Carefully remove the back cover of the switch, held on by the top set of tongues and slots. Place to one side. Now remove the circuit board held on by the middle tongues and slots. Great care is needed in this next step. Make sure you are working in a clear space, best on a towel or similar. On the back of the circuit board are four switch cases, mine have white covers. Work on one switch at a time. With the board flat on the bench carefully remove one switch cover, clipped down on each side. As you lift it off you will see two rocker switches with ball bearings on top. Note the position of the rockers. (One one way, one the other). You will see the ball bearing sits in a little hollow. Remove both balls and the rockers. The contacts in the bottom of the switch and on the rocker will probably be black as mine were, causing the bad connection. With some fine emery cloth, clean all four contacts and remove any other bits of fluff and debris. Replace the rockers (they sit in two grooves). Place the balls in the hollows. Carefully replace the cover ensuring the balls come into contact with the base of the slider in the cover. Don't force it but ensure the switch operates back and forth as it should after all four sides are secure. Repeat this procedure on the other three switches. Re-assemble the switch cover, and, working in reverse order complete the task. Bob's your uncle, you should have a set of fully working switches. Took me about an hour. Saved £115 minimum.
Hope this is helpful to someone.
Note: Please be very careful when dismantling the switch on the circuit board. The first one I opened (not knowing about the ball bearings) the balls and rockers flew out. Lucky I had it on the bench and recovered them easily.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My seat would not move forward. When I've got time I'll follow the procedure above.

As a temporary fix this morning, after picking up a couple of tips on other Kia Forums, I managed to get the seat moving freely again.

Take off the side panel of the seat holding the switch. Tap the switch box firmly with the blunt end of a screwdriver (or similar tool). Then operate the switch but tapping firmly forward and backwards (or whichever way it doesn't work for you). Eventually the seat will start to move. When the seat is moving smoothly, continue moving the seat forward and back for a couple of minutes.

The seat now moves smoothly, but I can only imagine that this is a temporary fix. At least the wife can now sit with her head over the steering wheel as she usually does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks..Your solution was what I needed to do to fix the seat switch. It would hjave cost me a minimum of $150.00 for a new switch.

Thanks again,

psarote

·
Registered
93 Posts
My electric seat is still operating OK from my temporary solution last September. The switch simply gets stuck and needs freeing up. Regular use is probably the solution to avoid the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thankyou followed your instructions after a year or so without an adjustable seat it took under an hour and now works perfect,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad it worked. In order to keep out the dirt I also placed a plastic shield around the switch. Anything will do, I cut up a plastic milk container which seems to work fine as it has not failed again after two years.
Cheers
foxinthesun

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fox in the Sun.

-just finished my front electric seat switch which has been playing up for a year just saved me £168 thank you for your help on this
All just follow the above exactly what Fox says ,
Had my switch(once removed from seat complete with plastics) on a white kitchen roll on the kitchen table with a set of good reading specs to magnify small parts once the covers are off. I also had a set of watchmaker screwdrivers which are about a £1 form the market.
P.S also took pictures with mobile before i took a each bit apart
(may help the next person going to try this)

Thanks again Fox

Soulman.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad it was useful Soulman. I've done mine twice now. Second time I wrapped the switch in some plastic before re-installing, to keep the dirt out. Should have done it the first time.
Cheers
Fox

Edited by: foxinthesun

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
if you find that the repair does not last long it is because switch contacts are tin coated and once the coating comes off they quickly stop working if they are under load, you might have to fit a relay to the circuit to ease the load on the switch contacts,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I've made a "How to" with photos on a french forum. Maybe pictures would help sometime :D

http://sorentofan.jeun.fr/t2624-tuto-les-commandes-du-sieges-comment-ca-marche

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I have a 55 plate Sorento and have had the problem of gradually failing drivers seat adjustment. Yesterday moving the seat back to more upright or reclined position failed entirely. So checked the internet and found this thread.

It looked like it would cost about £150 for Kia to do the job so, with nothing to lose decided to have a go myself.

Firstly I tried the tap with screwdriver procedure a la Robbev but to no avail, So went for the full monty Foxinthesun method.

Foxinthesun - your instructions are brilliant. The only tricky bit was getting the springs, rockers and ball bearings all in place before clicking closed the switches (two watchmakers screwdrivers in play).

I am pleased to say all is reassembled and works perfectly. Many thanks and best regards Foxy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just followed the instructions and it works a treat - although I can't say for how long, yet! Took about two hours start to finish although that included taking the seat out, getting stuck, and finding this forum. A bonus was to discover that the FRONT of the seat goes up and down - never worked before!

Getting the plastic valence off was really quite a challenge - I'm not sure I'd have managed with the seat in the car. Made slightly easier by the fact that some of the clips were already broken, so I'm obviously not the first one to play this game!

Thanks again for foxinthesun's clear instructions. I took lots of photos for anyone who is interested - message me privately if you want them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This all sound a bit like the problem I have and so would be glad if you have any pictures or video of this for guidance if anyone has any please

Fertiliserman

·
Registered
1 Posts
After weeks of probloms with the seat switch, it finally failed completely today. DH decided to see if he could fix it and succeeded in making it go all the way back! Unfortunately we are both short, so this was a massive problem! Luckily We came across this fantastic post and followed the instructions and now have a working seat again. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am encouraged by all of the success everyone has had following Foxinthesun'instructions. They are very detailed. I have been experiencing the same issues you all have described. I have just finished re-installing my seat after stripping it hoping to find a solution. (I had not found this post yet).

My first thought was to check the switch. I removed it, stripped it down to the circuit board, but did not open the 4 individual switches Foxinthesun described. Instead I tested each switchs using a multi-meter. I found the common then looked for a close circuit as I operated the switches. Doing this all of the 4 switches seem to work perfectly in both directions. I then took out the seat to see if I could see anything that might prevent the motors from operating. But found nothing.

Only after all of that did I find this post. My question is, do you think I might still have a problem with the switch even though my multi-meter test says otherwise? I have just spent more than 2 hours tinkering with this thing and I'm not up to going it again.

Has anybody had a different experience? Everyone here has the exact same story with the exact same results? Just seems too dam consistent!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
test the seat circuit right at the motor connections then you will know if the motor is getting voltage, I have seen the brushes sticking in the motors before. you have to strip them to fix it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts