Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
57 Reg TS, when I open the car all is aright, however after driving and getting out the drivers door locks itself, it is only the drivers door all others are open. (does not matter if engine is running or turned off)Any idea's?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Robbie154 said:
57 Reg TS, when I open the car all is aright, however after driving and getting out the drivers door locks itself, it is only the drivers door all others are open. (does not matter if engine is running or turned off)Any idea's?
Hi Robbie - I won't even try to answer your problem - although its probably a sensor in the door - my father in law had a 52 Sedona (older shape than yours) and I spent months - no years, trying to sort his self locking doors that developed a mind of their own. You would open the doors with the remote and before you could open the door it locked itself, it would lock you in, lock you out - when you locked it to leave it you could hear the locking mechanism on every door going backwards and forwards so you never knew if it was locked or not. He would return to it and find it unlocked - absolute nightmare. We stripped every panel off the doors and checked every connection. In desperation he took it to a Kia dealer - they hadn't got a clue but fitted some central control unit that cost £250 that didn't make an ounce of difference- we took it to a large Auto Electricians in Derby who said it was the drivers door switch/ solenoid causing the problem - they replaced this and still no good. We refused to pay their bill and they never pursued it.
Oh yea contacted Kia Customer Service umpteen times - and guess what

All in all a total nightmare - that went on for 2 years - in the end he traded it in to some unsuspecting garage and swapped for a Citreon Berlingo (with manual locking)
Good luck with your problem!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Robbie,
I had a similar problem with my 03 model, the door autolocked when it was opened about 2inches.
I narrowed it down to a wire either broken or shorting out in the door loom where it goes from the car into the door. I cured mine by wiggleing the wire around a bit until it stopped locking the door.

I am sure it will do it again sometime if so I will just do the same again.
The only permannent cure would be to replace the loom, which I am not prepared to do. I always take the key out of the ignition whenever I get out just in case it locks itself with the key inside.

Not guaranteed that yours is the same but might be.

Ray

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those replies, I have found now that if I make sure the thumb switch part of the lock has not moved(seems to have a mind of its own) the door does not lock, I wonder if it moves half closed as I use the lever to open the door and let the lever go.
I am now deep into intensive trials to see if this overcomes the problem, I have now started taking the key with me in case I get locked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts