Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sportage 4 manual petrol
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member and owner and a quick question before I have chance to navigate pages properly...

Can I ever drive without a seatbelt? I mean physically, not legally obviously. My problem is this, where I live there's a gate I need to unlock, so I'm in and out twice moving the car a few feet. I do the same at work, and it's crazy that I need to put the belt on to drive the car 6 feet along on private land, otherwise the push button handbrake refuses to disengage. Is there anyway round this?

Any replies appreciated, hope my quick question makes sense. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
344 Posts
Hi, new member and owner and a quick question before I have chance to navigate pages properly...

Can I ever drive without a seatbelt? I mean physically, not legally obviously. My problem is this, where I live there's a gate I need to unlock, so I'm in and out twice moving the car a few feet. I do the same at work, and it's crazy that I need to put the belt on to drive the car 6 feet along on private land, otherwise the push button handbrake refuses to disengage. Is there anyway round this?

Foot on the brake whilst trying to disengage the handbrake?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The seatbelt shouldn't have any impact on whether the handbrake releases or not, as there is no legal requirement to wear seatbelt in certain circumstances...the most commonly known are when reversing, or when driving a goods vehicle that is travelling less than 50m (which i know doesn't apply is this situation)
- The taxi one i wasn't aware of, and must be some Sportage Taxi's out there....
but crucially you can get a medical exemption to not wearing one, so the car should be able to be driven without the seatbelt engaged.

Seat belts: the law: When you don't need to wear a seat belt - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

·
Registered
2022 Sportage GT-Line 1.6T GDi ISG (Infra Red)
36 Posts
My 2022 Sportage won't automatically release the EPB without seatbelt on. It will let you do it manually (foot on brake, press EPB switch), but the automatic disengagement will not let you and brings up a message on the screen telling you why. Same happens if any door is not closed properly.

I would say maybe it's a new thing if the Niro doesn't have the same restriction, though OP has posted in 2016-2021 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
209 Posts
As stated by 2 others, I'm pretty sure it's foot on brake, press EPB switch and it will release without the seat belt on.
Mine's an auto if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
413 Posts
MY2020 Sportage will let you disengage the handbrake by pressing your foot on the brake pedal and then depressing the electronic brake switch as mentioned by other members on here. Mine is a manual gearbox.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage 4 manual petrol
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys, the foot on the break did indeed work 😁 thanks for that. Seems obvious once you know, I need to get that manual out when I have time and have a good read. Really like finding things on my own usually but this one was bugging me.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Mine's a shortage 2021 and I can drive without the seat belt being plugged in, it makes a warning signal but you can move the car

·
Registered
3 Posts

YES IF U GO ON EBAY U CAN GET SEATBELT END CAPS I USE THEM WHEN IM ON PRIVATE LAND IT STOPS THE BLEEP AND LETS U DRIVE

1 - 17 of 17 Posts