Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my CEE,D SW today just wanted to know if the 1.6 u2 engine is fitted with a DPF as this car will be used as a taxi

·
Registered
94 Posts
Probably not a MY 2011 as the plate changes in September to the 60 one and thats about the time they began early production of the MY 2011 engines. Ask your dealer if you want to know for absolute certainty.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Mine is a 2011 MY Ceed CRDi, it has the DPF. It was in the first batch to arrive with fitted DPF, they landed mid September. If yours is a 10 plate its 99% certain its non-dpf. One way to tell easilly, when you open the drivers doo there is a small sticker visible that tells you about the DPF, no sticker, no DPF.

Paul

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Pain in the ass they DPFs. My bosses other van an Auto Merc Sprinter has one and the van only does 55mph tops cos its governed and does not rev high through the gears and it runs like a cow until you hold it in a gear above a certain revs for a good load of miles to regenerate the filter.
Oh what a joy it is to go green.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The DPF is the most dissapointing part of my car, not because it has caused problems or because it drives badly while regenerating, its simply the fact that in identical use to the BMW we have it regens much more often.

Had the BMW for 21,000 miles, in that time I cannot honestly say I have really noticed a regen but on a couple of occations the idle speed has been faster and slightly offbeat, suspect thay were regens.

The Ceed does a regen every 300 miles, I can say now when it will do the next one, again no song and dance, but why so frequent. A couple of times I have had to stop the car during a regen, it does the next one exactly 100 miles later. The dealer has confirmed its OK, Kia agrees, they say it should happen between 400 and 600 km's (250 and 375 miles ) thus I am about spot on in the middle of the range. It does not vary on usage either, some times I do more miles in town, regen after 300 miles, last tankfull was spent mostly on the motorway, still 300 miles.

Basically there is no need to do high revs or anything special, just drive normally with revs above 1500 and it will complete the cycle in 15 to 20 minutes regardless of the road you are on, best not to stop until its complete, easy to spot with the mpg meter, drops by about 1/3rd. I have become sensitive to it now, suspect many divers would not even notice, its that subtle.

Since its regerating as Kia says it should it must be OK but I wish it would do it like the BMW one, must be better technology on that I guess unless its because its Euro 4 and the Euro 5 Kia has a more rigourous proceedure, seems to bea big secret.

Paul

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
They aint cheap if you damaged one. I would think there will be companies doing De DPF pipes just like you get Decat pipes. Then when MOT is due bang the DPF back on. Having a DPF must increase fuel consumption and cause a drop in power slightly due to the nature of it, as in its restriction of the gas flow through it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
DPF's are a stupidity brought on by EU regulations that pressurise manufacturers into adding equipment that makes their engines comply before the bugs and snags have been sorted.

With some cars when the DPF clags up due to lots of short trips you have to take them for a fast blast down a motorway in order to clean the DPF. How can that be eco friendly? Fancy installing kit that doesn't handle short run stop/start motoring which is what a lot of users do in the real world.

I bet they don't run the regen cycle when the manufacturers are testing for the CO2 stats and official mpg figures.

It's all smoke and mirrors

SDA

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am not a supporter of the EU and its many rules and regulations, but its unfair to say they introduced rules that pressurise manufacturers to add equipment before the bugs have been sorted.

Most manufacturers including KIA have been aware of these changes for many years and some manufacturers have been producing cars for years that will comply, including KIA.

The only thing that has changed is that its now the absolute deadline for the new rules and the UK has been the last to adopt them. KIA have been fitting DPF's to Cee'ds in Europe for much longer.

Also remember there are other ways to meet the regulations not everyone uses DPF's its probablyjust the most cost effective way of doing it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cost effective for the manufacturers maybe Eric but not for the people who have to use them, either to have to drive more to keep them 'clean', or pay for replacements when they go u/s or have to have a new engine when the sump fills with diesel and the engine won't turn off, burning off the oil/diesel mixture in the sump.

The technology was made just to get past the emission limits on the lab tests and is not suitable for purpose in the real world of motoring, unless you spend your life in lane 3 of a motorway.

SDA

Edited by: steamdrivenandy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Apparently that's the way it's going Eric.

Latest developments in petrol burning technology and design will mean that petrol engines will get better fuel economy than diesels in the future and without the stupidity of a DPF to cause hassle and extra cost. Plus internationally diesel is going to get more and more expensive due to demand and lack of refining capacity, whereas petrol won't increase at the same sort of rate.

Mind, that probably won't help tuggers who need the extra grunt at low revs that a petrol engine can't provide.

SDA

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
To me its just repeat of the horror stories that were circulating when petrol catalysts were introduced 20 or so years ago. Now they are just part of everyday motoring, no one mentions them, never heard of anyone replacing one, must do because they are advertised, plenty in our local rag listed for between £100 and £150 Kia models included, much less than the £500 + spoke about 20 years ago.

I expect DPF's will be exactly the same, yes they will eventually need replacing but by the time we need one I hope the cost will have come down to a reasonable level, if I still have the car. When Kia introduced the MY11 Ceed the price did not increase thus the DPF must surely not cost the £1000+ that everyone on various websites talks about, infact just done a Google and a supplier lists them for Ford, VW, GM, etc (not Kia) and they are all about £250.

Personally I don't want to go back to the days of the early Diesels, my G o l f TDi of 1996 smoked like a mill chimney when you booted the car, the garage was full of smoke first thing in the morning after I had started it.

Mine uses a bit more fuel when it regens, its a pain and in reality I agree, how can using more fuel be green but its a lot greener than covering the road behind the car in black smoke, that G o l f was embarasing even in the 90's.

Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My Rio has a DPF and it smokes like a chimney when you accelerate. Aparently there's nothing wrong with it. Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
M4

Dont know what age your Rio is but I thought it was only Euro5 cars for MY11 that had them, MY10 and earlier were Euro4 and normally only large capacity diesels needed a DPF to comply with the regs, not normally a 1.5 like a Rio or the 1.6 Ceed, my 2 litre BMW Euro4 diesel has one, the 2 litre Euro4 Ceed had one.

The DPF is there to catch the soot and smoke. Both our cars have DPF's and you can wipe your finger around the inside of the exhaust tailpipe on both and it comes out virtually clean, if the car is smoking either it has no DPF or the DPF is not working.

Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It's about 9 months old, 10 plate. I assumed it had a DPF as it's mentioned in the manual. The smoke is not very visible during the day, but at night, accelerate from 65 to 70 at full throttle and you can see a massive smoke screen in the lights of the person behind. Or if you accelerate hard thru the gears it also smokes badly. Seems to be worst just after a service. So it could be the excess oil burning off...they always seem to overfill it. Or it could be the engine over fuelling.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just wondering if the Cee'd DPF uses the Eolys type fluid like the Peugoet/Citroen one do. Does anyone know?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts