Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ! bit of a query for you all , do we on our crdi souls have a dpf filter? i asked the question when i was purchasing mine and got a vague "no" .i am asking becuase i like other soul users am driving the vehicle in a "reserved manner" due to the less than fantastic fuel efficiency of the soul , its no big deal because ive never been a speed merchant (since i turned 40 anyway!!)but constantly driving the soul this way may not be a problem if there is no dpf to damage through build up of carbon but if my suspicions are correct and the soul has a vvt turbo ( similar to v .a. g engines)it can suffer an early demise if not caned regularly as the turbo can become partially inoperative due to carbon build up on the variable vanes just a thought and i dont want to get anyone alarmed but thought it may be good to remember that italian tune up on a regular basis!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Good point, my Fiat Diesel needed a regular thrashing come every mot (isnt that what apprentice mechanics are trained to do???), before the emission test. And the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) Valve had to be replaced regularly because i was too careful a driver. I would have thought the DPF Filter would be in the exhaust and wouldnt be affected by driving style....unless its nearer the engine and works like a catalyst and reburns the crap out of the exhaust gas. My mate reckons that with diesels they need to be redlined in the first 3 gears for about 20 secs each gear once a month.

·
Registered
662 Posts
DPF and vvt turbo have no connection except the engine oil you have in your car so make sure you use the correct stuff diesels will produce soot as they burn oil as a fuel this will gather in the exhast system and its a good idea to give the car a good rev once a week just to clear the excess soot this is why when diesels go foran MOT test testers have to purge the system before takeing readings

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i may not have clarified my questions.. the first is ..Does the soul 1.6 crdi have a dpf filter? second is does it have a vvt turbocharger like the ones fitted to the v.a. g s(volkswagen audi group ) diesels?its not does it have both just does it have either? if yes to the latter my concern is ..its known that the vanes on said vvt turbo can get clogged and cease to function if the car is not revved hard from time to time to "clear out" the accumulated crap from the variable vane area of the turbo , the dpf problems have stemmed from cars having a tall 6th gear and spending too long at lower revs this and/or lots of town or "steady" driving can block the dpf filter to the point where it cant self regenerate and has to go into the shop for a process that needs the dpf filter removing etc(300 quid touch)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts