Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just got home from a long trip round europe (3000 miles done now) and I'm curious, does anyone have any info for roughly how often the DPF does its regen? And how long it takes? I was only aware of one time of burning smells, but I did notice that my mpg coming back across france was really bad yesterday, for pretty much the whole trip. On the way out, I ended up averaging about 36, got 40 out of a particularly gentle tank. But on the way back yesterday the average was 30.6 across the whole trip. OK so most of that was cruise at 80, but still I would have expected much better...

Jules

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
diesel particulate filter - it's a bit in the exhaust that catches all the soot etc - every so often it burns off the excess and during this time you might smell burning, and I know it hurts the mpg, but I'm not sure for how long. Certainly 30mpg is v poor!

·
Registered
114 Posts
think it only kick`s in if the car has been driven short distances with engine running under 2000 rpm and short stop and start. if engine temp is normal and rpm is over 2000 then it can naturally clean it`s self, would have thought if you have covered so many miles at 80 mph then dpf should not be needing to do it`s thing.
We have covered under 2000 miles and fuel is not as good as the book say`s 30 round town and struggling to get 40 on a run so yours sounds about the same, just hope they improve with mileage.
Thanks for the snow video, looked like you had a good time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for that Jules. Was out in the snow and ice today and on one untreated road I think the AWD kicked in because the car was kinda shuddering which I'd normally equate with skidding. However she kept going but as we went along I was looking for some kind of indicator light on the dash to indicate the AWD had kicked in but saw nothing. So is that right or should a wee light come on? I guess if you put on the 50/50 then a light would come on. Or perhaps nothing comes on but the Dynamax AWD switches on-whats your experience after such a long drive across Europe? Cheers Johnathan

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi

Got a MY11 Ceed SW1.6 CRDi, one of the first in the country with a DPF since the MY10 and earlier 1.6's didn't have one.

Our motoring is probably about 60:40 decent runs/urban, also have a BMW 118d with a DPF that gets pretty much the same use.

Considering that I have never really noticed a regen on the BMW in 20,000 miles (several must have happened)I was very surprised when after 290 miles there was a strong burning smell when I had to stop at the traffic lights on the M1 roundaboutand a large drop in mpg, on the next trip the car was normal. Took it to the dealer who was equally surprised and whilst he had it did a forced regen to ensure it was clear. About 300 miles later it did another regen, no bad smell (must have been the paint or underseal burning off the exhaust) but a drop in mpg, exactly the same after another 300 miles and yet again the other night on the way home 300 miles later. Spoke to the dealer who contacted Kia and had a reply within a couple of hours. Asked me to take to car in so they could see when the last successful regen took place, 558 km (350miles approx)ago (appears the car talks in European) which was the previous regen, the one a couple of nights previous did not complete. Kia also said that a regen is expected every 400 to 600 (not sure if it was miles or km's, if its km's ours is doing a regen pretty much when it should, if its miles its a bit early. Considering the car is talking in km'smyself and the dealer are presuming Kia are talking in km's.

My best guess is the successful regen took about 20 minutes or 15 miles on the M1 and A roads, yes it hurts the mpg but in the big scheme of things over a year I recon its going to cost less than 4 gallons of diesel which is annoying but not the end of the world. If that £20 in diesel keeps theDPF clean and working properly its a price I am willing to pay, its way cheaper than a new DPF.

When I walked back up the street this morning with the dog I passed a Isuzu Trouper that the owner was warming up before driving off, every time he blipped the throttle a huge plume of black smoke came out that his kids were playing in. Just shows how far diesels have come on, would not want to go back to those days again.

Paul

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Paul - thanks for that - seems like mine is "normal" then :)

Johnathan - re the AWD, I don't think there's a warning light as such to say that awd is suddenly engaged, but if I recall from driving in all that snow, if you do lose traction there's a little flashing light in the dash to say that the traction control is doing its thing... I guess you could read something into that if you wanted to...

Jules

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks Jules- a flashing light I ain't seen yet but will keep a look out. I did put the lock on to drive up my very icy drive earlier today and she went up perfectly without even in skidding. Cheers Johnathan

·
Registered
197 Posts
jules said:
Hey guys,

Just got home from a long trip round europe (3000 miles done now) and I'm curious, does anyone have any info for roughly how often the DPF does its regen? And how long it takes? I was only aware of one time of burning smells, but I did notice that my mpg coming back across france was really bad yesterday, for pretty much the whole trip. On the way out, I ended up averaging about 36, got 40 out of a particularly gentle tank. But on the way back yesterday the average was 30.6 across the whole trip. OK so most of that was cruise at 80, but still I would have expected much better...

Jules

Jules

This is how the fuel figures are calculated - your extra urban figures is based on an average speed of 39 MPH! I think that it is fair to say that the results are really only useful for comparisons between differentcars rather than taking them as an accurate indication of what you will get in the real world. Ipreferred the old method when you had steady speed figures for 56 and 75 MPH - the 75 MPH figure would have given you a good basis for your cruise in France.

Richard

<H2>FUEL CONSUMPTION TEST (Directive 80/1268/EEC as amended by 2004/3/EC)</H2>

The current test has been agreed internationally and provides results that are more representative of actual average on-road fuel consumption than previous tests. There are two parts: an urban and an extra-urban cycle. The test cycle is the same as that used to determine the official exhaust emission classification for the model of vehicle in question.
The cars tested have to be run-in and must have been driven for at least 1,800 miles (3,000 kilometres) before testing.

Urban cycle
The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20°C to 30°C on a rolling road from a cold start where the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed is 31 mph (50 km/h), average speed 12 mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4 km).
Extra-urban cycle
This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h), average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km).

Combined Fuel Consumption Figure
The combined figure presented is for the urban and the extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two parts of the test, weighted by the distances covered in each part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts