Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Being my first DPF fitted car its all a bit new to me. But For the past 7 month of ownership of my Ceed 1.6, occasionally around the 250 mile mark(tried measuring the issue and coincides with the regen mileage I seen on this forum) after a long trip, the next time I start my engine from cold the rev counter moves up and down like its struggling. Pulling away I have to add extra acceleration than normal else I "kangaroo" away and is much like this til I rev the guts out of it. Its caught me off guard last week and struggled to get out of a junction and was a close call.

The idle revs sits at 800-900rpm and then will drop to about 600-700rpm before correcting back up and down til it gets to idle speed again. I thought it might be the air con fan kicking in as this can give the idle a quick drop and back up again but does it with everything off in the car.

Local kia dealer had it in for a day about 5 weeks ago and gave it a forced regen and a ECU update, something to do with acceleration upgrade. Told me to see if it happens again, and it started again yesterday after a 120 mile trip.

Does anyone else have this after a cold start from a previous regen? Just want to check it isnt something normal before taking it back to the dealer again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've had my Cee'd for 7 years and 30k miles and never experienced those symptoms. Regen is around every 250 miles and it doesn't matter whether I complete a regen fully or interrupt it. The car just works as it should all day, every day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, i had an issue recently of idle hunting only when warm, car went into kia, they found swirl flap actuator to be at fault... I do also get the hesitation when setting off at times, not sure what that could be, might look at carbon cleaning intake and egr maybe?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had my Cee'd for 7 years and 30k miles and never experienced those symptoms. Regen is around every 250 miles and it doesn't matter whether I complete a regen fully or interrupt it. The car just works as it should all day, every day.
That was my worry with the issue.

Hi, i had an issue recently of idle hunting only when warm, car went into kia, they found swirl flap actuator to be at fault... I do also get the hesitation when setting off at times, not sure what that could be, might look at carbon cleaning intake and egr maybe?
See mine only does it when I've done a long journey (guessing the regen might have happened) and then next day when engine is cold the idle is all over the place. Once I've given the car a run with higher revs the hesitation disappears until the next regen.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car going into dealer tomorrow so fingers crossed they can fix it. Went on 200mile drive Friday and then car did the idle hunt yesterday and was hard to pull away. Will update with results.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update on the issue. Have had the car go in 3 more times since the original post, to the local dealer. First they said I had contamination in the fuel so changed filter and charged me £225 for the privilege. This didn't fix the issue, so a bit annoyed I had to spend that money. Anyway car went in again last week on 99850k miles so was hoping that the car would now be finally sorted. Told they have changed the swirl valve actuator (original told they were replacing the swirl valves). I asked for a copy of the warranty work carried out but told they don't give that out, yet last time work was done I was given a copy.

Today (a week later) the issue still exists and the dealer has told me because the car is now at 100,020 miles any work will be chargeable due it being out of warranty.... Surely as this is an on going issue and it hasn't been fixed it should be still covered? Will have to take the car to an independent garage from now on as can't trust the issue will be fixed without a hefty bill!

Not an overall good experience with Kia thus far 😟

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Not an overall good experience with Kia thus far 😟
You might wish to copy that post and draw attention to your other posts on the matter in this thread and send it to KCS in these pages to see what they make of it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I remember when my 2008 car was approaching 100k miles the Kia garage were very careful to advise me that if I passed the 100k miles that was it as far as the warranty goes.
In your case as already advised I would be onto Kia and get the garage to back you up.
I continued to service my car at Kia main dealers until they wanted to remove the engine to repair a water leak, head gasket they said and would cost approx 2k to sort, which by this time was more than the car was worth. I took it to an independent garage and it was a leaking water pump.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's my worry with the dealer, jumping to a conclusion that would cost a bomb!

I rang my local dealer again today who said they would have the car back in to scan for errors. But told me that is all they would do, if there wasn't an error code they wouldn't go any further to diagnose the issue. But also told me that so far no error codes had been detected anyway! The techs just replaced parts in hope it would be fixed!

Would be a total waste of time for me being without a car for another few days and the techs scanning the non existent code. I tried explaining to the receptionist that not every issue with a car would be detected by the engine management and the issue is still showing. Which it did the last few times it had been in but not shown an error.

I'm in 2 minds of taking it back to be scanned again and it not being resolved.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Having just bought a 2016 diesel, can you guys explain in a bit more detail as to what happens when regen starts.
I understand what a DPF is and how it works, but thought at speeds above 37mph everything sorted itself out automatically. I have had mine for about a month and it get 180 mile run once a week, and so far I have had no issues.

·
Registered
684 Posts
We had our Ceed for 5 years and 50,000 miles and that is exactly what it did. 250 miles after town use and 250 miles on the motorway were set in the ECU.

Only complaint I would have is what happens after an interruption. In our BMW the regen would recommence at the next start once the car was upto temp but the Kia would wait approx 50 miles before the next regen and do a compete one wasting more fuel.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
There is no explicit indication (some manufacturers give this but it seems not KIA). Those who drive very consistent journeys and observe mpg carefully can notice the increased consumption. Also the DPF runs hotter when regenerating and some have noticed this either by smell or sensing heat when exiting the car. I think it would be possible to get indication by using an OBD device too.

·
Registered
684 Posts
So how do you know when it's doing a regen.
What indicates it.
Depends on the brand to some degree.

With the Kia if you were in town with a window down it would smell like the car was on fire and the idle would be faster and uneven. On the open road the engine would feel and sound different, difficult to describe but both myself and the wife could tell. If you put the mpg display on instant instead of the usual 50mpg as an example on the motorway it would be in the low 30's.

With our BMW you could notice a smell of burning even when driving at times and the idle was a bit erratic but once up to speed the car felt no different. Big clue with the BMW was when changing gear, it made a grumbling sound when you lifted and pressed the clutch.

One common factor was the exhaust after a regen, instead of being dark inside it was white due to the heat. If you were daft enough to actually touch the tailpipe (it never got more than warm when it was not doing a regen - diesels do not burn that hot) it would take your finger prints off, don't ask me how I found out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts