Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I'm new to the forum and looking to see if any of you can shed some light or give me some advice.
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I have a 2013 (62) Kia C'eed 1.6 crdi with 61k miles, it has a full service history however the last service I did myself using genuine parts, I am a qualified mechanic and a perfectionist so prefer to get my hands dirty and know the job is done right.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">The last couple of weeks the car has gone into "limp home" mode (won't rev over 3k and limited power) every now and then, but turning it off and on usually sorts it out, however yesterday the MIL (Check Engine Light) came on and the car has been going into "limp home" mode a lot more frequently.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">The MIL according to the owners manual indicates a potential problem has been detected in the emission control system. I have had a similar problem on my previous car (Peugeot) and it turned out to be the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) was blocked and the car needed a forced regeneration and the DPF cleaning.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Unfortunately I think my driving style has contributed towards the blockage as I do frequent short journeys and don't allow the car the get up to operating temperature, I do try to give it a motorway blast on a weekly basis to get the car to regen but I think the damage is done.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Anyway my question is I have now ordered a used DPF off Ebay, it was removed from a 2014 car with only 27k miles and I intend to clean it with Wynns DPF cleaner before installing it on my car, I will then clean up my old one to resell. Is there anything else that I would need to do after installing another DPF? will it need to have a diagnostic check and codes reset or a computer aided regen?

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Any advice or similar experiences would be great.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">TIA

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Stouty.

·
Registered
603 Posts
First bit of advice would have been not to buy parts but a fault code scanner first as it could be a whole load of other parts which are much cheaper than a dpf

The dpf you have bought could very well be worse than yours around 5k a year. Dumping a can of wwyns won't clean it out mate.

Get a obd2 fault code reader before you go throwing bits and money at it.Edited by: Mickg

·
Registered
971 Posts
And servicing it yourself, so that means the warranty isn't valid anymore.

As advised, code reader will eliminate expensive guess work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi forgot to mention that I did have an OBD scan done and it showed the codeS P2002 & P0404 which is "Diesel Particulate Efficiency Below Threshold" and "EGR Sensor Upstream"

I have cleaned the EGR valve and sensor which didn't seem that bad and reset the codes, then after going into "Limp Home Mode" a second time the only code registered was P2002 that is the reason I suspect DPF.

As for cleaning it the soaking in Wynns DPF cleaner has worked a treat for me in the past and is the same service as most of theses DPF cleaning companies offer. I seal one end of the DPF up and fill the DPF usually with around 5 litres of cleaning solution for about 12 hours this breaks down most of the carbon and ash, I then jet wash it with a hot burner steam cleaner until the water runs clean.

An hour or so in the oven then at 200 degrees makes sure it's dry before reinstalling.

Edited by: Stouty84

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The warranty is still valid if you use genuine parts. You just have to make sure you keep the invoices for any parts you use. They even honor there warranty if the car has an incomplete service record.Edited by: Stouty84

·
Registered
132 Posts
aircraft said:
And servicing it yourself, so that means the warranty isn't valid anymore.

This info is incorrect, kia do not Auto invalidate warranty. Instead they will advise that the part/error/service etc caused the failure/problem then that would not covered under warranty.

Example: Changing the exhaust for after market will not invalidate a claim fro say the seat foam(common Problem on ceed's) but it may invalidate warranty if you tried to make a warranty claim on say the CAT or DPF etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used Shell Helix 5W-30 ACEA-C3 as recommended by Kia however this was done 14k miles ago now so overdue imo.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Servicing yourself using Kia parts warranty becomes invalid. Servicing must be done by a vat registered garage,using the parts and invoices kept showing this.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Be aware the new MOT from April includes an inspection of emission control equipment. EGR's and DPF's that have been tampered with or removed will mean an instant fail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NeilShep said:
Be aware the new MOT from April includes an inspection of emission control equipment. EGR's and DPF's that have been tampered with or removed will mean an instant fail.

Yeah I saw this, I don't think it will affect me however as I will be reinstalling another DPF, I'm only removing mine to clean it. RIP all the people that had DPF deletes and remaps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts