Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving the car unlocked, taking my auto key with me, with a passenger left in the front seat, the car locks and sounds the alarm after a short while.
Does anyone know how to override this? The car is a 2016 first edition.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Presume you have just exited the car yourself?

The car will lock itself only if you unlock it but do not open any door - then after a while it will lock itself again. There have been a few reports on here in a similar vein and most of them have been traced to inavertant operation of the lock button on the fob. It has a good range and it is easy for the buttons to be pressed while in your pocket.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,408 Posts
As Turnup says the car shouldn't lock, unless you unlocked the car without opening the door. You could leave the key with the passenger or press the switch that disarms motion sensor (middle switch on the ceiling of the car).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As Turnup says the car shouldn't lock, unless you unlocked the car without opening the door. You could leave the key with the passenger or press the switch that disarms motion sensor (middle switch on the ceiling of the car).
Hi. Thanks for the note. I'll try the button on the overhead ceiling panel. However the handbook states the motion sensor will reset after 5 mins. So that's why I didn't use it.

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
43 Posts
As stated earlier. If you walk away from the unlocked car with the keyfob it shouldn't lock.
If it does then there's a problem.
The only time it auto locks is if you have unlocked it and not opened a door within about 30 seconds.
Did your passenger lock it from inside?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As stated earlier. If you walk away from the unlocked car with the keyfob it shouldn't lock.
If it does then there's a problem.
The only time it auto locks is if you have unlocked it and not opened a door within about 30 seconds.
Did your passenger lock it from inside?
The OH locked the door for security, not with her fob as it is in her handbag, so the fob is also in the car, then the as alarm went off. Couldn't stop the alarm and couldn't unlock the door.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
So to fully understand the situation - you stop the car, switch of the engine off (I assume) and walk away from the car without locking it. Your wife, who is inside the car with the other fob present, decides to lock the door by pressing the interior lock button. The car locks, but after a few minutes the alarm sounds.
To me that is what I would expect the car would do. The car has been locked and the interior motion sensor has activated and detected motion, as a consequence the alarm has sounded. The presence of the other fob is immaterial.
We use the disarm interior/motion function on ferry crossings, to prevent the alarm from operating if there is any ship movement, and some of those crossings have been overnight - way longer than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
This makes no sense. Niether fob will not lock the car while one of them is inside the car. The interior lock button should not set the alarm.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
In the interests of science, and for clarity, I went out to our car, jumped in and locked it. Sat for a good 10 minutes and the alarm did not sound. Interestingly the car is locked from the outside, but not from within. To exit I found I could either press the unlock button or open the door and it unlocked.
However if I am inside the car and lock it with the fob, after a few minutes the alarm sounds and the only way to open the car doors is with the fob button. This is the same as the OP's original symptoms, which suggest a fob button press.
I wasn't keen on experimenting any longer because its freezing out there.
Niether fob will not lock the car while one of them is inside the car.
Trurnup, agreed it doesn't if you are locking from the outside, either on the outside door button or with the fob, the car won't lock. But that is not what is happening in this case.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I will have to try that on mine when next I am in it (possibly later this year :confused:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So to fully understand the situation - you stop the car, switch of the engine off (I assume) and walk away from the car without locking it. Your wife, who is inside the car with the other fob present, decides to lock the door by pressing the interior lock button. The car locks, but after a few minutes the alarm sounds.
To me that is what I would expect the car would do. The car has been locked and the interior motion sensor has activated and detected motion, as a consequence the alarm has sounded. The presence of the other fob is immaterial.
We use the disarm interior/motion function on ferry crossings, to prevent the alarm from operating if there is any ship movement, and some of those crossings have been overnight - way longer than 5 minutes.
Thanks for you're outline which is correct and also for the confirmation of the use of the alarm cancel button. It was the 5 minute reset detailed in the handbook which confused me.
Convex61

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was told by my Kia dealer that having to pull the rear door handle twice is an extra safety measure on the car if you have children in the rear and forget to put the child safety locks on. If a child pulls the handle the door will not open putting the child at severe risk of an accident.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts