Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
November 2007 I had a door handle failure on the drivers door. Though incorrectly diagnosed as a failed motor, the fault was eventually identified as a broken handle assembly. This was replaced, the handle as supplied from Kia has to be painted to match the car, so I was left with a bill from my Kia dealer for £98 odd.
This week the passenger door handle, same side failed, not fancying another probably increased bill, I had a look myself.

Bingo, after taking the door panel off, held in place with 4 screws, plus push clips,the wiring connector to the window switch was removed, a simple click apart connector, then I could see the problem. A plastic arm which actuates on the lock assembly had cracked. I removed the one visible retaining nut, removed the 3 screws holding the catch in place, these are on the edge of the door by the child lock, and could then see & remove a second retaining nut. The handle then came out of the door with a little wangling.

The cracked plastic arm was drilled and a long self tapping screw was screwed through both parts, holding them firmly together.

The lot was rebuild, total time spent on the job about one and a half hours, total cost 10p for the screw & it all works fine......................

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been a while since I've been to this forum, glad that you repaired your door handles;ran in to the very problem solved it the same way , working good since.
The brakes,see how easy it was,the reason the piston at the rear has to be screwed in is because of the hand brake assembly in the arrangement it's nothing new, Nissan also usesthis on some of their cars

Have my 2003 Carens for two years,bought it as an imported used doing 20078km it is now doing 69000km no regrets at all

·
Registered
72 Posts
hi gasgokia fixed mine basically the same way but used a galvernised flat head nail of about 3mm in width passed it through a pre drilled hole of same width a little super glue to hold it in place and its as good as new now the handle has a surgical splint

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd have thought that the door handle failing would have been covered by warranty though... no?

However, good to know of these things in case I have the same problem down the line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is so helpful to a non techie mum like me, however, I can't even get the flippin door panel off because one of the screws in the door pull as a worn head on it, it was in so tight, after 3 attempts it was ruined!! Any ideas? Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jeanette, Sorry you've hit problems getting the screws out. You could maybe try tapping the screwdriver with a hammer, gently, to coax the driver head to grip the screw head. Make sure its the right size and type of screwdriver, Phillips and Pozi drive heads on screws look alike, but use the incorrect screwdriver and they can soon wreck the screw head. Otherwise unless any one else has a bright idea, it may be a case of drilling it out...........Cheers Gasman.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, right I finally mended the door handle after 3 attempts. The nail with glue wouldnt hold, but finally used a bigger screw and its done.
Worse problem now though, the whole door doesnt open, seems like the lock is not coming fully out. So its not the handle its the lock???

HELP

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jeanette, Sorry your hitting problems. 1st thing to ask is, can you open the door from the inside, if you can then its possible the screw could be obstructing the opening mechanism. If the door fails to open from the inside then you may have other problems. The lock assy' is activated by a electric motor, this could have failed. Which I'm afraid could mean a trip to your local dealer, unless you have any good auto-electric centres near you. Cheers Gasman..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, thanks Gasman. No, cant open the door inside or out. But funny thing is, the motor does seem to be working because it locks with the usual click sound, using key button, and it seems to unlock with the usual sound, it just isnt quite coming fully unlocked. The rods move etc., I still have the door panel off, hence no electric windows either.
Think its going to be pricey job now as urgent.

Hey ho

·
Registered
72 Posts
hi
just a thought

have you connected both handle actuator rods, one some times falls down into the darkness and is easily forgotten, just a thought

all the best

col

·
Registered
4 Posts
well done that man, followed your instructions on the door handles and fingers crossed it works fine. three of my handles went more or less at the same time I was begining to wonder what to do until I read this forum, so toyou my friend I'm very greatful as the cost of new handles were£35 each that did'nt included any fitting costs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Jeanette, I seem to remember that the lock assy uses two separate motors, one to activate the lock/unlock, and another which works in conjunction with the anti theft & disconnects the lock from the operating rods when the car is locked. This stops people using the old wire through the window seal, hook on a rod, pull & open the locked car. Its possible that either motor may have failed, though its not a very common problem. Its worth just checking the note on the post about the rods falling down, you never know. Let me know how you get on, & I hope (joke) that the bill is smallish !!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Jailor, Glad the post helped. I've also posted on other subjects, so its always worth checking out the site. Could save you ££s.
Cheers Gasman.

Edited by: Gasgokia

1 - 14 of 14 Posts