Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our usual weekly shopping trip to Tesco's today, plugged into the free charger as per, but couldn't lock the car doors ! I quickly realised I hadn't switched the car off before plugging in, but when trying to do so, warning " Remove charge cables before starting " ! Catch 22 ; I couldn't switch off, the cables couldn't be disconnected and I couldn't even lock the car doors, although the car was still being charged up !! Simply because the "motor" is so quiet I just hadn't realised I'd failed to switch it off prior to connecting up - DUMBKOPF ! The RAC, via Kia Assist, came to the rescue eventually, & after some head scratching by the patrol man he pressed the "Charge Button" below the steering wheel which changed the dash indicator from red to green, meaning the charge had been stopped, which then enabled the cables to be removed - phew, lesson learnt, but at least I had the benefit of a decent free battery charge ! As I headed the thread, "Don't Do This", but if you do, you'll know what to do !

Super Moderator
Lucky to get a someone that knew what to do....

Far to easy to leave even the Hybrid on when it's in EV mode.... Thankfully will not let you lock doors so can not just walk away.

Would the cable allow you to disconnect once full charge reached?

Update idea for Kia. Block the cable connection when the engine is still on. Should be a simple matter that you can not open flap or has a physical block in the connector on the car.

Registered
Xceed phev
Our usual weekly shopping trip to Tesco's today, plugged into the free charger as per, but couldn't lock the car doors ! I quickly realised I hadn't switched the car off before plugging in, but when trying to do so, warning " Remove charge cables before starting " ! Catch 22 ; I couldn't switch off, the cables couldn't be disconnected and I couldn't even lock the car doors, although the car was still being charged up !! Simply because the "motor" is so quiet I just hadn't realised I'd failed to switch it off prior to connecting up - DUMBKOPF ! The RAC, via Kia Assist, came to the rescue eventually, & after some head scratching by the patrol man he pressed the "Charge Button" below the steering wheel which changed the dash indicator from red to green, meaning the charge had been stopped, which then enabled the cables to be removed - phew, lesson learnt, but at least I had the benefit of a decent free battery charge ! As I headed the thread, "Don't Do This", but if you do, you'll know what to do !
Press the doors lock/unlock button to release the charging cable when lockedin. Worked all the time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That doesn't work if the "motor" is still running because you cannot lock the doors , neither can you switch the "motor" off until the cable is disconnected, hence the Catch 22 situation. The only way was to switch off the charger (by the button as described) followed by locking / unlocking the doors & then the cable connectors can be released. What you are describing is the method to release the cables if you fail to remove them within the 10 seconds after unlocking the car, a different scenario altogether.

Registered
Usually there's an emergency stop on a charging unit that it's fine to use as long as you reset it. Then there's a pull-toggle inside the bonnet (mine is a sort of rubber T shape) that you pull to mechanically unlock the cable from the car. You could try sending a command from the UVO app although that's a last resort. Finally try the unlock switch on the key fob or door as mentioned

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No "pull toggle" that neither I or the RAC Patrolman could find, nor did I see an "Emergency Stop" on the Pod Point charge unit (but will look next time) , and regards the unlock switch on the key fob & doors, neither worked to disconnect. To use the UVO app to send the command "Stop Charging" is one I'd never thought of ( thanks for the idea) and IF I happen to make the same dumb mistake again I'll certainly try it ( I might even have a practice !).

Registered
You should also be able to call pod point, there is a number on all of their pods. They can send a remote command to the pod to stop it charging and reset it which should release the lock on the cable

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that iamkarlos, I looked for (& saw) the number today on the Charging Station - will remember but hope I won't need to phone them ever :sneaky: 'cos lesson definitely learnt !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts