Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
That second thread almost replicated what happened on my last C4. It was Diamonbrite coated by the dealer but, after 6 weeks the car was sprayed with road mender's bitumen, and had to be professionally cleaned. Their insurers agreed with me that, as a new car the dealer should do it, and re-coat it. When it came back, it was raining (and for a few weeks after), so it was some time before I saw it with the sun on it - exactly the same as those photos, and looked like polished with a Brillo pad. Too late to complain, and told it looked like I had used a dodgy car wash or polishing machine. Went to the same dealer a few weeks later, with a mate who was looking for a s/h car, and every dark coloured car looked like it to had been Brillo pad rubbed. It think it was a trainee polisher what did it. Had another moan, and car was examined by an "expert", who decided the scratches were UNDER the coating. So, I ended up with a car with paint protected on top, but scratched underneath. Dealer still denied liability, so ended up with rough looking car for 5 years. And the coating did not last that long, as the paint was very dull when I got rid, and had been for some years. Current Kia is 1 year old, washed with Meg's Wash & Wax, or Shiny hand wash if I can't be asked, and never polished - looks as good as the day I picked it up!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ive asked my dealer to do the least amount of prep on the car. Ill examine it when i pick it up but I plan to spenda few days of the following week cleaning refining and sealing myself.
Even asked them to leave the plates off cos i dont want wonky plates!
I'll stick em on meself with the aid of a spirit level....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Why are you buying from a dealer you cannot trust?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am not. I am just OCD when it comes to paintwork etc.

He is supplying a car and preparing it to the standards of the dealer and its customers. I want more than that and am more than happy to put the work in and acheive it myself.

I have had comments from the service manager at Strattons Aston Martin in Norwich on the preparation of my in laws cars.

Edited by: chrissy_bwoy

·
Registered
273 Posts
chrissy_bwoy said:
I have had comments from the service manager at Strattons Aston Martin in Norwich on the preparation of my in laws cars.
Now those ARE cars worthy of special attention.
But not a Sportage. With all due respect to the car, and it is a well-made car, it's just pieces of metal with an engine to travel from A to B. Astons, and cars of that ilk, are different. They're works of art!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Oh yeah totally!
As its a daily driver doing 2500+ miles a month I would like it as protected from the elements as possible.

Supagard or lifeshine are little more than silicone coatings available on Amazon.

Edited by: chrissy_bwoy

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've just taken delivery of a new Venga with silver storm metallic paintwork. If I detail it using dodo juice diamond white hard wax, can I put it on with an applicator and hand polish it, rather than using a mechanical polisher? Kind regards. John.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dadwood2 said:
I've just taken delivery of a new Venga with silver storm metallic paintwork.  If I detail it using dodo juice diamond white hard wax, can I put it on with an applicator and hand polish it, rather than using a mechanical polisher? Kind regards. John.
Yes. Thats the correct way to apply that wax.

A wax will only add protection and gloss. A polish will remove imperfections etc.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts