Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i ordered my Kia Rio 3 1.4Crdi , i told the dealership not to apply any of the paintwork protection to it. Mostly because im not convinced by what ive seen in the past, they say it lasts a few years but from experience its just a cheap wax that goes after a few washes.

Had my car just a couple days before having the weather to apply my favourite wax, Dodo Juice Diamond White carnauba.

Heres the finished result, and will be topped up every 6 months. Will update with wet pics later on to see the beading.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Been raining now, and this is how it looks after a single coat of wax. Another coat and it will bead very tightly and evenly

·
Registered
420 Posts
My father got his Rio protected cant remember what its called? Done by Kia.

But for where we live its a good idea,Seagull poo can be destroying.

Edit: It is called Williams F1 Team Ceramic Coat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Point of this post is to show that you dont have to pay all that money out at the dealership for their 'paint protection'. Its just as easy to use a polish, gloss, and a pot of wax that will set you back £30-40.

Relatively simple job and doesnt take too long

·
Registered
420 Posts
Err yes you do no wax etc you put on is going to protect your car from seagull poo,None of it also has a 5 year guarantee,So in my eyes its worth it if you live near seagulls if you dont then i wouldn't have it done.

Paint protection isn't on your car to make the car look better like wax etc..
Edited by: jem

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes you are right its a protection but its not going to withstand the likes of seagull poo,That will/can eat through any wax.Lets just say you leave seagull poo on for two days then it eats through to the paintwork are you going to complain to whoever makes the wax,At least when you get the proper stuff done you know its protected and you know if it should fail then you can get it sorted.

Wish i had done one of my own cars with it instead of doing the normal routine wax polish etc..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting discussion.
I have a Sportage on order and am getting Supaguard treatment basically because I struck a good deal and figured why not.

There are varying opinions on the benefits of this but as it is costing me next to nothing I dont think I will change the plan.

What is the opinion of putting on a decent wax on a brand new car with Supaguard? My thoughts were to drive it the 10miles home and do a good wax with Meguiars ultimate wax for some added protection.

Am i likely to pick up enough contaminants on the short drive to need a wash first or can I just crack on with the wax??

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Excellent post mate BUT i would have advised Collinite 845, its cheaper and lasts longer.

I urge no one to pay for these "treatments" in my 10 years of detailing and valeting i havent seen one treatment last past the first wash never mind 5 years.

I washed mine, clayed it and a coat of 845 Collinite

·
Registered
420 Posts
LOL i will say again if you live where the seagulls are then its a no brainer,Anyone who doesn't belive me should come over to see the how the RIO is getting on,Its been bombarded with sea gull poo been left of for hours and days with no damage to paintwork and is easy to get off,So far ive not see any wax that protects from seagull poo.

Remember you have a warranty for this protection you will not have any for your normal waa,So if you do leave the seagull poo on longer then you have just messed up your paintwork and you will have to pay to get it right again.

Lets just see who has seen damage done by seagull poo?

It doesn't matter if it doesn't last past the first wash wich it does,You have a 5 year no question asked if the poo burns through. It really is a no brainer.

Please show me where on a tin of wax it will say protects against seagull poo?

Edited by: jem

·
Registered
273 Posts
No way would you get me "claying" a brand new car which has a paintwork warranty. Claying is abrasive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I second gazlightning.

Although the paint protection from the dealers isn't to bad (supagard/gardx ect) it's normally applied to poorly prepped cars sealing in all the swirls and contanimants.

I'll rather detail my car myself as I know it's been done properly and not rushed. Plus dodo juice products what gazlighting has used are a lot superior to any the product the dealers are offering, check out detailingworld.co.uk.

PS I live right by the sea with plenty of seagulls and had no problems with any of my cars

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Knew there would be some sense talked at last. Every new car thats come out of the factory/dealers will have very slight defects covered up by these paintwork protection products. If these were so good, all the professional detailers out there would be using the protection like kia do and giving away their own 5 year warranty with it, but that doesnt happen. I urge you to think it through.

Im by no means anywhere near pro with it, but ive done a hell of a lot of research and the results are out there to be seen. The dealers are just in it to make money, hence even giving away paintwork protection for very little money, they are still making profit on it because its pretty poor.

These warranties with it will come unstuck when you go into a dealer complaining bird poo has damaged the paintwork, and they will just say it still looks ok, not a fault with the protection and wasnt designed for that, and its still fit for purpose. They will laugh you out the place im afraid.

Nothing better than using your own favourite brand and having full peace of mind knowing its a job well done. This is just advice but obviously its down to your interpretations of it, im not having a go at anyone and never will.

·
Registered
154 Posts
StephenL said:
No way would you get me "claying" a brand new car which has a paintwork warranty. Claying is abrasive.
Nonsense

Your new car will arrive either by rail or road or both and will pick up contaminants on the paint without the paint having any protection.

Claying doest cause marring its user error that causes marring.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Grizzle said:
StephenL said:
Nonsense

Your new car will arrive either by rail or road or both and will pick up contaminants on the paint without the paint having any protection.

Claying doest cause marring its user error that causes marring.
IF you've ever seen new cars at your dealers straight off the transporters, you will see that they have the most vulnerable areas covered in a white film, applied at the factory before the car is exposed to "fresh air".

Are you saying claying is non-abrasive? if so, why do clay bars come in various grades? I would happily allow a used car or a freshly-repainted car be "clayed", but not a new car with a paintwork warranty. If there are any paintwork defects on your new car, let the dealer have them rectified. And that's why I'm happy to allow a dealer to apply paintwork protection. Let THEM carry the can if it goes wrong. As to cost, that's a matter between the buyer and the seller, not something for open discussion.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Have a look at this.
http://refineddetails.co.uk/2013/06/28/skoda-octavia-tdi-estate-new-car-detail/

New Skoda not touched by the dealer but practically straight off the transporter.

The Red streaking is Iron or such like particles being removed from the paintwork.

Typical dealer application of a protection package...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298401

if the base paint layer is not prepared adequately anything thats put on top will only seal the poor prep underneath.
Given that most reputable detailers will allow 7-10 hours for a new car prep hopw long do you think the dealer can give it?

·
Registered
270 Posts
StephenL said:
Are you saying claying is non-abrasive? if so, why do clay bars come in various grades? I would happily allow a used car or a freshly-repainted car be "clayed", but not a new car with a paintwork warranty. If there are any paintwork defects on your new car, let the dealer have them rectified. And that's why I'm happy to allow a dealer to apply paintwork protection. Let THEM carry the can if it goes wrong.
Depends on the contamination level on the paint.

If its light tar deposits or tree sap then a less agressive clay would be used.

heavy soiling would require a more aggressive clay, this usually causing marring of the paint which can be rectified with a finishing polish or paint cleanser.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts