Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay, we collected our beautiful new sportage yesterday.

Can anyone recommend a dog crate to fit in the boot please for 2 border terriers.

Im surprised how small the boot is to be honest.

So any recommendations please.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You're surprised how small the boot is?

1. What did you have before as I find the boot CAVERNOUS on mine!
2. Did you not look at the boot before buying? Should be no surprises...

Kia do a dog guard that fits between the boot area and back seats - just buy this - no need for a crate which could really hurt your dogs in the event of a rear end impact.
TBH I don't even use a dog guard - a bit of training to stop the dog jumping into the main cabin is the best solution - especially as then if there was ever a rear end impact my dog could jump into the rear seat if she needed to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, we found a crate specifically made for the sportage which will fit the slopes . Yes, of course we looked at the boot before purchase but its not quite the same as when you start loading it. Personally, I feel that crates are the much safer option during any collision than a guard or leaving a dog loose (the law now requires any dogs to be secured)but thank you for your kind input.

·
Registered
114 Posts
All that lovely metal waiting to crush your pooches... not sure how that could be safe but hey-ho - your dogs not mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Better than dog being flung over your seat and through windscreen. Not to mention illegal to let your poor dog loose in the car - in a collision most deaths to dogs is due to them getting out of the car and running off in front of other vehicles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much, so kind of you x As it happens, I had suddenly remembered the salesman showed me how to remove the parcel shelf altogether and stow it under the boot :) - you forget all these things when youre excited - which meant the measurements were
increased and so a good travel cage will fit great. I should delete this thread really. But Im very grateful for your reply xxx

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thank you very much, so kind of you x As it happens, I had suddenly remembered the salesman showed me how to remove the parcel shelf altogether and stow it under the boot :) - you forget all these things when youre excited - which meant the measurements were
increased and so a good travel cage will fit great. I should delete this thread really. But Im very grateful for your reply xxx
Another thing you can do to add space is move the rear seat backs a bit more upright. You would be amazed how much extra space that gives and yes still allows the rear seats to be used. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks. I had thought about that but not sure i it were possible. So thank you for bringing that up. Its all still new to us. Ive not even done the phone link up yet. So many things on there - some I guess I will never use x

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Yay, we collected our beautiful new sportage yesterday.

Can anyone recommend a dog crate to fit in the boot please for 2 border terriers.

Im surprised how small the boot is to be honest.

So any recommendations please.
It is illegal to not have a dog properly restrained in a motor vehicle, if you have an accident and your pet is not restrained properly you could find that your insurance company refuses to pay out. It is certainly illegal to have a dog in the boot of a car and the dog is able to jump over into the rear seat, the dog has to be in a cage or tethered via a harness, you are opening your self up to either no insurance are a large fine, look at the Highway Code ruling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the boot shelf on its low setting?
Maybe not so good where dogs are concerned, but does make a fair difference to capacity.
Oh thank you SOOOOOO much Picanto. Cage arrived. Lot of huffing and puffing to get it in and worry that the top edges could scuff roof. Almost at the point of returning when I remembered you saying about lowering the boot floor. Took out cage very carefully, dropped the floor down into the slots that take the roller shelf (that can go in the house when we actually use the cage) and woo hoo, cage fits perfectly :)

Im so grateful xxx

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh thank you SOOOOOO much Picanto. Cage arrived. Lot of huffing and puffing to get it in and worry that the top edges could scuff roof. Almost at the point of returning when I remembered you saying about lowering the boot floor. Took out cage very carefully, dropped the floor down into the slots that take the roller shelf (that can go in the house when we actually use the cage) and woo hoo, cage fits perfectly :)

Im so grateful xxx
Please could you add a link to identify the cage and where it came from. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Please could you add a link to identify the cage and where it came from. Thanks
Hi there, I got it through ebay. Pets World make. It slopes back and front and has a sliding front door I will pm with details. The back seats are still up but moved slightly upright

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ugh.... that's a lot of metal near your squishy pooches if someone goes into the back of you... I'd never be comfortable putting my dog in there...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you said - the back and sides of your car are also metal by the way.

Your choice, as long as you fit something to restrain him, as required by law and your insurers.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
We have 2 pugs (similar size) Both sit on rear seats. Both are belted in. One does like to sit on the floor behind seat though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So you said - the back and sides of your car are also metal by the way.
Yes nice rigid structural metal that's double skinned and designed to deform in such a way that it does not compress into the interior - therefore protecting the passenger "cell" and providing a safe space for occupants.

As opposed to that mesh cage which would crush with any modest forces applied to it...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes nice rigid structural metal that's double skinned and designed to deform in such a way that it does not compress into the interior - therefore protecting the passenger "cell" and providing a safe space for occupants.

As opposed to that mesh cage which would crush with any modest forces applied to it...
But if the vehicle 'does not compress into the interior' then what exactly would be crushing the mesh cage?

Surely animals in transit need to be securely restrained to stop them escaping if the tailgate is unexpectedly opened and/or to prevent them becoming missiles in the event of a collision?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts