Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

1st time poster here, hope someone out there can help.
Kia Sportage 2016 Diesel 2.0 AWD
Done mostly urban miles in last 12 months so not surprised emissions engine warming light came. Car running fine, no loss of power or black smoke etc. Did a few long motorway trips but didn’t solve problem. Local garage diagnosed DPF sensor faulty. Part cost £250 and same again to fit. Seems to me unlikely sensor is faulty as it seems to have done its job properly. Would like anyone’s thoughts on:
1) if it sounds like faulty DPF sensor
2) If it is a fault, chances of Kia covering this under warranty
3) Does cost seem reasonable and any guess what Kia dealer would charge.
Sorry to ask a lot but don’t want to fork out £500 unless sure.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I can't comment on the cost, I have absolutely no idea, but I would expect Kia to replace a faulty sensor under the warranty if that is indeed the cause of the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Would like anyone’s thoughts on:
1) if it sounds like faulty DPF sensor
2) If it is a fault, chances of Kia covering this under warranty
3) Does cost seem reasonable and any guess what Kia dealer would charge.
Welcome to the forum, 'Lgod1'.

With reference to post #3, I don't understand why you did not approach a KIA dealership in the first instance. Typically, a KIA dealer would expect to charge a fee for the diagnosis of a fault but that would be recoverable if the sensor were found to be faulty as it would be covered under the 7-year warranty as a non-serviceable item.

The KIA workshop staff are better equipped to diagnose KIA problems than most independent repairers as they have access to all the relevant technical bulletins from HQ and have the ability to perform any software/firmware updates on KIA models. As for determining whether or not the sensor is the root of the problem, the independent may have got it right but, at distance, forum member can only hazard a guess based on the information supplied.

Don't get me wrong; there are some excellent independent garages around but as KIA offer a 7-year 100,000 mile warranty, why would anyone not make use of the dealer network to ensure their vehicle is maintained correctly? KIA labour charges are very reasonable compared to many other car marques so any savings made by eschewing KIA dealers in favour of an independent will be marginal rather than substantial.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you get it fixed soon. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies, really helpful. I took it to local garage for a service for convenience (they say they are recognised by Kia so shouldn’t affect warranty) and due to stories on here about high dealership service costs. They diagnosed problem as part of that service and things went from there.
Lesson learned about using Kia dealer and it is booked in with them tomorrow so I will see what they say. Hope it is covered under warranty. I’ll let you know the outcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.