Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Does Scanguage work on Carens

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  zumbie 
#1 ·
My wife has offered to buy me a scanguage for my birthday - lucky me!However, I'm having difficulty confirming if it will work with my 09 Carens CDTI.

My dealer is not certain as they've had nothing to do with Scanguage but did say they bought a generic hand held test unit to try and it would not work with any of their models

I see on other posts that they seem to work with the Rio, so, anyone had experience with them on the Carens?
I have emailed the manufacturer but no response so far.

Any help appreciated

Rgds

Gary

#3 ·
Thanks Mark.Appreciate your help.
I spoke with Gareth at UKOBD late yesterday and he has confirmed in writing that it will work.
Thats what I wanted - can then send it back if it doesn't.
Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow and I'll post back later with a review.

Cheers!

Gary

#4 ·
As promised, here's an update.

The scangauge took 5 minutes to fix and 5 minutes to program the base info - engine type, fuel type, tank size.

Now done 200plus miles and it seems to work perfectly!
Will post photo once I've decided on its permanent position.

Initially it works in US galls but at second fill, entering the amount of diesel used changes it to imperial - according to UKOBD support. Have to say it seems correct. Reset Average MPG on car readout and on scangauge and after 150 miles they agree within a mile or so.(Could also set it for litres if I wanted to)
Am already driving with an even lighter right foot!

Will report back after a few more fill ups to see if my MPG has changed.

Not an essential purchase, but great fun and makes you aware of the effect of a heavy right foot!
www.scangauge.net

Cheers,

Gary

#9 ·
Hi hotboxcharlie!

Only benefit my wife is getting is a kiss for buying it for me.(technically refunding my costs!)

total cost delivered, including 20% VAT was £125.00 - actually equates quite well to the USA retail of $169 bearing in mind import duty etc. Bought from UKOBD.co.uk , shipped in 24 hours but took Post Office 6 days to get it from Gloucestershire to the wilds of lincolnshire. If I can save 10% of my average monthly diesel bill (£200ish) it'll pay for itself in 6 months, 5% saving will take 12 months.

got to take it up my local Dealer on Monday as they want to have a look at it. If i should get the dreaded "check engine" light on it should identify the fault code and let me reset it - there's a saving of £40 odd! Downloaded a list of KIA specific codes from the Scangauge site so I can tell my dealer whats wrong - and they can't try and con me!

Cheers

Gary

#11 ·
Quiltman: Just a quick point of interest, when you get your check engine light don't forget to clean out the dpf before you reset the light if it shows the fault code for uneven pressure, it might also be the egr valve which shows the same warning light!

Mark.

#12 ·
Mark,Thanks for the heads up. didn't realise they showed the same codes. To be honest i haven't yet read through the full KIA code listing I have!
mind you, I've never had any DPF problems, and since the last EGR upgrade - over 7,000 miles ago - there's not been a hint of a re-occurence.

Gary

#13 ·
Just out of interest, have you noticed any alteration to your fuel consumption since the last upgrade? My dealer is unwilling to do this to mine as his experience tells him the mpg will drop even further, at appx 25mpg & £1.33.9per ltrdown hereI can't afford that in my trade!

#14 ·
Mark,

Yes, it's dropped by about 1/2MPG over my monthly average. Before I was getting 42/44mpg ,now its around 41/42 over last 3 months since the upgrade. Unlike you, my mileage is about 25% town, 60% A roads and 15% motorway. Max speed around 65mph with cruise control on.

I have noticed with the scangauge that around town I'm lucky to get an average of 29/30 once its warm, so less short journeys for me!it also shows my max speed has been 67mph and max revs 2156.Due another "italian service" then!

To be fair, my dealer did say he'd heard the last upgrade did increase consumption a little but I'd rather have that than the surging! Diesel round here ranges from £127.99 to £133.9 (Shell)

cheers,
Gary

#15 ·
Thanks for the confirmation Gary, I'll stick with the surging for a bit longer!

Am seriously considering a change of brand for my next cab, either a Skoda Superb or a Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra clone or even another Zafira, the Grand Scenic is nice but I'm not that struck on Renaut having had problems with them in the past & the 130/150bhp modelsboth have the dreaded dpf which seems to struggle so much in my job, anything much less than this is useles in Brighton as it's so hilly.

I'm 6ft 3" & a 48" chest with looooooooooong legs lol so anything that doesn't give me head/leg room is a defo no no, would love the 38mpg from an Octavia but not the backache that goes with it!

Off to work now, thanks agin for the update.

Mark.

#16 ·
Hi Again Mark,

round here the cabs are a right mixture, but the Superb is gaining ground and the "larger" cabbies use a few Alhambra based units, converted for wheelchairs. (In Nottingham they're mainly converted Fiat vans) - oh, all our local cops use either Octavias for the panda cars (VRS for the traffic cops) or I've seen some Superbs on 10 & 60 plates. Tells you something about reliability as they've used Octavias for some years.

I looked at a Zafira before the Carens but hate that stupid umbrella hand brake handle.I kept catching my coffee cup!

Cheers,

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.