Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2018 First Edition Stonic and this message comes on the dashboard screen when reverse gear is engaged. The reversing camera is working fine but wondered if it means there’s something wrong with something on the car or is this message normal please!?

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,436 Posts
My guess would be either a faulty sensor, or the sensors are covered by muck, ice or snow.Your handbook should have a section on the reversing sensor operation. It is section 4 in my Sportage handbook and it says:-

Non-operational conditions of parking distance warning reverse
The parking distance warning reverse may not operate properly when:
1. Moisture is frozen to the sensor. (It will operate normally when the moisture has been cleared.)
2. The sensor is covered with foreign matter, such as snow or water, or the sensor cover is blocked. (It will
operate normally when the material is removed or the sensor is no longer blocked.)
3. Driving on uneven road surfaces (unpaved roads, gravel, bumps, gradient).
4. Objects generating excessive noise (vehicle horns, loud motorcycle engines, or truck air brakes) are within range of the sensor.
5. Heavy rain or water spray exists.
6. Wireless transmitters or mobile phones are within range of the sensor.
7. The sensor is covered with snow.
8. Trailer towing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess would be either a faulty sensor, or the sensors are covered by muck, ice or snow.Your handbook should have a section on the reversing sensor operation. It is section 4 in my Sportage handbook and it says:-

1. Moisture is frozen to the sensor. (It will operate normally when the moisture has been cleared.)
2. The sensor is covered with foreign matter, such as snow or water, or the sensor cover is blocked. (It will
operate normally when the material is removed or the sensor is no longer blocked.)
4. Objects generating excessive noise (vehicle horns, loud motorcycle engines, or truck air brakes) are within range of the sensor.
8. Trailer towing
Thank you for your help and such a comprehensive reply. I’ll give the rear parking sensors a good clean over the weekend and see if this makes a difference. If it doesn’t I will arrange to book it in at the dealers. Thanks again.

·
Registered
393 Posts

8. Trailer towing
I notice they don't give the 9th option of "The sensor has failed"
They do fail, I had one on my Venga fail out of warranty. Managed to find a colour matched new one on Ebay for much less than dealer price. Fitting it was, however, a bit of a 'mare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied to this. Quick update. The car went into the local dealer the other week and they diagnosed the fault to be with the parking sensor wiring loom at the back of the rear bumper. Wiring loom replaced under warranty and all sorted now thankfully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts